Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A first painted ship of the line  (Read 212 times)

Lluis of Minairons

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
A first painted ship of the line
« on: June 06, 2019, 07:31:41 PM »
Lately I've been painting just the two ships you can see below:

The one is a first sample of Minairons ship of the line, that I've assembled and painted with promotion purposes. As explained some weeks ago while announcing it, only the resin hull is an ultimate casting; as masts and sails were'nt ready yet, I chose to scratch build a suitable replacement using parts from the Minairons galleon. Despite all this engineering, I think that its final look resembles closely enough to what it will show when actually ready for release.

I've followed quite closely my usual colour schema, with just an exception: given the rigging large surfaces, I thought it better to use drybrushing for highlights there. Otherwise, this is what I use to do with PP's large indiamen too.

Here you have a view of the ship from stern:

The upper deck is plentiful of guns, as you can see --but no crewmen, because the ship is nominally 1/600 scaled. If I placed 4mm crewmen on deck, then the scales discordance might be noticeable. Otherwise, the ship does look good amidst a PP's 1/450 fleet. So as to have an idea of its size, its stand is the same size than those I use for PP's indiamen.

The other ship has nothing to do with commercial promotion, but is intended to increase my own collection instead.
This is an ordinary galley from Skytrex that I've customized quite... er... energically to better match my tastes (am I becoming maniac perhaps?  ???)

Despite scaled at 1/600 too, therefore 100% compatible in theory with my games, I found the model to be larger and wider than expected, so I tried to make it a bit slimmer looking by cutting 1/2 cm or so the oars' length, and it seemed to work good enough. Then I tried to make the ship a bit shorter by cutting both bow and stern sections, and rebuiding them again entirely from scratch. I wasn't as successful as expected, as you can see by the picture above.

So I changed my mind and decided to transform the 'normal' galley into a 'royal' one (I mean, a flagship galley). Two supplementary masts were added to the solitary first one provided by Skytrex --one of such masts came from spares, but the other had to be scratch built. To enhance its role as a flagship, it flies the Grand Vizier's yellow-white-red pennant.

Arrr aren't you disbeliever infidels scared?

Lluís

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: A first painted ship of the line
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 07:42:17 PM »
Look excellent Lluis, I can almost feel the spray in my face

Colonel Kilgore

• Star Supporter Admin
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: A first painted ship of the line
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 08:27:25 PM »
Very nice, Lluis - your ships are still getting even better!

It's easy to forget quite how small these details actually are - lovely work.

Simon