Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shapeways Taube  (Read 178 times)

SimonC

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Shapeways Taube
« on: May 08, 2019, 12:06:50 PM »

something has reacted to the Cyanoacrylate ...now the paint won't dry and the surface looks to be deteriorating? Anyone else found this?

Colonel Kilgore

• Star Supporter Admin
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Shapeways Taube
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 01:08:59 PM »
Ouch - I feel your pain!

I've fortunately not (yet) come across anything quite like this.

Could it be that the glue was old / not fully cured (I've had superglue go sticky in the bottle over time and then take ages to cure in the past)?

If all else fails, perhaps try superglue remover (which will also strip the paint) and start again?

Fingers crossed for a fix for you.

SimonC

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 02:14:54 PM »
glue was completely dry, and something I use all the time.

On the bleriot the glue was no problem. But this has just started to eat away

SimonC

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 02:16:24 PM »
both were printed in superfine detail plastic. But this last one seems distinctly different

Colonel Kilgore

• Star Supporter Admin
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 03:20:06 PM »
both were printed in superfine detail plastic. But this last one seems distinctly different

Ah - it does sound like some reaction between the plastic and the glue then. Maybe you can get some recourse from the supplier - not much good if you can't glue this stuff together...

martin goddard

• Star Supporter Admin
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 03:27:38 PM »
Is it just the underside? That would make life better.

SimonC

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 04:10:32 PM »
its is the underside. The undercarriage was so frail it soon broke, so I had to replace with wire and the superglue there has had the worst effect. However, the top side is still 'tacky' and 24 hours later the acrylic paint is still not dry

I dare try to heat it up to help drying as it would melt.

Lessons to be learnt here for 3rd printing!

SimonC

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 04:15:09 PM »
Ive contacted Shapeways to see what they say

Leslie BT

• Star Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 09:18:36 PM »
I expect you will find that it is a reaction between the plastic and the acrylic spray paint.
This is a situation where a water based sprayed primer is important to isolated the plastic from the spray paint.

A good reason for an air brush to apply the primer.

I have had this happen with a plastic plane kit that I making and than painting.

The spray paints reacted with the plastic, the paint would not dry and the plastic softened. Since then I have only used Tamiya acrylic sprays cans.

SimonC

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 01:07:33 PM »
I did use a surface primer via an A/B, and gave it 24 hours to cure, as the plan originally was to mask it for preshading

But, i think it is a paint issue. I used a new AB paint that that has a odd consistency (it was make for Gundam, and has a satin finish)...  that on top of the acrylic polyurethane has has a reaction ... maybe around the Cyanoacrylate areas (as that is where it is worst)

I've cleaned most of the bad areas, so its looking to be a salvage job, the model is so frail it won't survive  scrub

Shapeways refunded me BTW ...

Colonel Kilgore

• Star Supporter Admin
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 02:51:49 PM »
Shapeways refunded me BTW ...

That's very decent of them.

Thank you for this cautionary tale!

By the way, the quality of the Shapeways printing looked very good - far better than that in some recent ads on TMP, for example. Presumably this is likely to be down to the quality of the printer used (heavy industrial by Shapeways, something more amateur by wargames company start-ups, perhaps?) and the level of definition it can achieve?

SimonC

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 04:11:26 PM »
That's very decent of them.

Same as all the big online companies (Amazon etc) its just easier for them to refund (on low value orders) than go through the complaint process.

By the way, the quality of the Shapeways printing looked very good - far better than that in some recent ads on TMP, for example. Presumably this is likely to be down to the quality of the printer used (heavy industrial by Shapeways, something more amateur by wargames company start-ups, perhaps?) and the level of definition it can achieve?

The first plane I ordered was good, these two less so - I have very exacting standards. The undersides are quite rough.

The ones I see on TMP are just 'bad' - BPM ect