Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Team Yankee forces for AK47  (Read 493 times)

mellis1644

• Wild Boar
  • The Frozen North- https://mellis1644.wordpress.com
    • View Profile
    • My website
Team Yankee forces for AK47
« on: April 26, 2019, 03:56:07 PM »
My club seems to be getting into team yankee <sigh> or maybe other modern conflicts games (seven days to the rhine etc.).

I had a though and wondered how hard it would be to use peoples forces for AK47 battles - and thus maybe generate some interesting games that I may actually play with the people... :)

I assume such figures would be fine to be used for western/soviet backed forces (against each other). I guess I need to grab the book again and give it a read but thought I would see what others though before spending too much time on this idea.

Leslie BT

• Star Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Team Yankee forces for AK47
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 03:52:53 PM »
The game system and ideas should work fine. The difficulties you will have are with the modern weaponry. The ruleset does tend to be for infantry oriented games.

Hman

• Piglet
    • View Profile
    • Nobby the Wargamer
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 06:49:36 PM »
Having watched a few Team Yankee games on UTube, I think that using AK rules with Team Yankee armies (is that your intention) could prove to be a more realistic game.  Team Yankee always looks like a tank car park...

martin goddard

• Star Supporter Admin
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 08:40:16 AM »
I confess to knowing little about Team Yankee. I believe it is a tank game?
It is probably for players who just like lots of tanks as the criterion for their gaming.  Good for them.

The rough ratio to make it AK would be about 1 tank to 10 bases of foot.
Thus a player wishing to use 4 tanks should also deploy 40 bases of foot. This is a full AK game.

Another option might be to set up a city layout with streets and some open spaces.  One player has a mass of tanks and the other a mass of infantry with AT capability.
The tank player gets to use his 15 tanks and the foot have about 120 bases of foot.
The tanks would attempt to loop around the buildings, maybe getting a point for every tank that passes through each of 4 "pinch points" nominated by the foot player. The foot player gets a point for each tank hit by AT. Multiple hits get multiple points?

The tanks would have to leave the table by the game end as they cannot hold ground. Additional points  for each tank that gets off the table.

All very unusual as a scenario I accept, but what else plausibly uses masses of tanks with a few sprinkled infantry on a moderate sized table?

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 11:58:13 AM »
Remember the Best part of AK47 is that a Rifle base is a rifle base ,HMg is an HMg, a Tank is a tank. It doesn’t matter wether the bases are from the past or the future or FoW tanks, troops or where ever you get them from. As long as it looks like the “Base” it represents then it will suffice. Example: My Helicopter “tank gun” is a C130 spirit Gunship. With all the guns sticking out the side ! But it is still only a “Tank Gun” Helicopter, but it goes with my modern 1990’s plus British forces.( CoD Modern Warfare 2 was around at the time of AK47 revision we all use to get bombarded with that “bloody” gunship !!! If you played the game you know What I mean!)
My Challenge 2 are Tanks with “New” Gun options. You could have a WW1 tank “Old” gun options or even a “Steampunk” tank if the forces match ? Then you match you army to the type you which to portrait: Dictator, Religious etc.

Typhonis

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 12:17:01 AM »
 You can also loot the Vietnam and Arab Israeli war miniature ranges for vehicles for use in AK 47 Republic.