Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Land raid  (Read 323 times)

martin goddard

• Star Supporter Admin
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Land raid
« on: April 13, 2019, 08:23:09 AM »
Played 3 games of land raid last night.
1 attacker win
1 draw
1 defender win

I was on the losing side all three times.

The first game we lost as defender, mainly because the attackers seized the barracks so no new troops could arrive. Smart move.
The third game I lost as an attacker. Mainly because I had a fight with a scurvy square and they got 5 hits on my chaps. That wiped out all my plunder carriers and my commander.  Ouch!!

The 12 casualty system worked very well. This is because the casualties can be hard to find amongst the alleys and back ways.

In all 3 games no more than 2 plunder pieces were found. A whole bunch of fighting going on.

The draw result was due to the attackers finding very little plunder.
We used the new PP pirate buildings. I am now ready to do the land raid videos next week. That army painter varnish is a bit smelly though. Sure it will dissipate.

Leslie BT

• Star Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Land raid
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 06:50:52 PM »
So your final winning ploy was to gas the opposition!

Good to see the painted builds have appeared on the web site, look excellent.

Had a good sea game last week, great fun. We're not sure whats missing at the moment from BB to make it as fun!

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 04:00:15 PM »
Rob came over this afternoon, plaid 3 games in 3 hours, 2 defender win , 1 attacker win, all good games,lots of fun.

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 04:55:48 PM »
Martin of Peter Pig fame visited this afternoon and we played Pirate land raids. This is part of the New release of ‘Pieces of Eight' from Peter Pig.
The rule book consist of three parts , 1st part is all about Pirates on the high seas chasing, boarding and capturing merchant ships.
The 2nd part is all about Pirates raiding coastal towns or native villages.
The 3rd part consist of a campaign system.

So this afternoon we played 4 land raid games, each game lasted about 1hour with 3 wins to Martin and 1 for my self.
The games are great fun, defiantly recommended.

Brian Cameron

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 10:25:41 PM »
A query and a couple of comments

I followed the maximums when building my forces but I don't see how the defender reach 28 beyond a huge run of luck.

Assuming a lucky 6 then starting forces will be 12 scurvy bases.  If the events run as per probablity then there should be 3 occasions when 3 new scurvy bases turn up which would give 21 (This ignores the 'remove 2 scurvy bases' event).  So what am I missing?

As per the text, battle-hardened attackers are very good indeed, well worth the reduction in numbers and I'm not I'd regard the rule as harsh.

Now, what I think is harsh is setting the guard.  Given you get very few troop bases, a 1/3 chance of losing each one to set a guard doesn't really seem worth taking.

A good game which I would be much better at if I could roll 6s more than once in a blue moon.

martin goddard

• Star Supporter Admin
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2019, 08:18:20 AM »
Hello Brian
Surely rolling a 6 is a skill that needs working at :)  I suggest shouting "look a Zeppelin" , then change all your scores to 6 whilst the opponent is distracted.
You are right that 28 bases is probably too generous.
We only played the battle hardened attacker option a few times in order to check it out. The problem for that player is that those bases still die quickly if hit by scurvy assaults. It also reduces available bases for searches etc. The benefit is that any new attackers are battle hardened too.  Certainly a decision to make.
Do let us know if it is a "killer" option.

The land raid is going to be the participation for Salute 2020. Maybe you can come along Brian and bring your own force too. Your chance to win or lose in front of thousands ;D

Leslie BT

• Star Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2019, 02:26:39 PM »
Brian I hope your enjoying the game, the beauty of the rules is that their is no winning formula.  Martin always goes out for the attack which ever troop type he has and at what ever quality. The skill for rolling '6's is key to the PP rule mechanisms, and I think for most of us this is what we need to practise to catch up with Stewart.

Usually now I try to get as many bases as I can, this at least gives me more dice and Martin's always quoting the probability numbers. So with poor quality but lots of dice it may go very well or very badly!!

Good luck with the training to roll '6's!!

Brian Cameron

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2019, 09:34:56 PM »
Probably more than a bit of training - I can roll 10 or 12 dice and not score a single 6  :'(  Thank goodnesss for re-rolls on broadsides.

I'm really enjoying both games.  There's a lot of options to be explored in both games which really adds replay value.  And you don't need to win to enjoy games; I'm sure many of us have lost games which were hugely enjoyable, there's nothing like a good 'up and downer'.

Scurvy assaults - admittedly you can get 14 dice with and officer and 4 bases and probably score 2 hits but the pirates will likely be in a group of 4 and just as likely to do similar damage (particularly with the re-roll for better quality) and so there's not likely to be many opportunities for such assaults.

By the way, the first time i played solo I missed that there aren't any saving rolls in fights.  There's no mention of it on the playsheet or in the table on pages 109 and 110.  The only reference appears to be under 'modifier notes' on page 111.  I appreciate that there's no mention of saving rolls in comparision to the section on shooting which does spcifically cover saving rolls but PP rules are famous for their saving rolls.  I'd have thought that a more prominent mention would have been useful.

Salute - as a member of the Warlords I'm lucky to have time to see much of the show but I'd be happy to assist at another show.