Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: units partly in terrain and St. Alban's.  (Read 93 times)

lowroller

• Piglet
    • View Profile
units partly in terrain and St. Alban's.
« on: March 28, 2019, 12:05:37 PM »
I don't know how this would impact the new gridded BB, but for those of us still fighting 'old style' BB...

If a unit has part of its front edge in terrain (say building areas) and part in the open, and can contact enemy while in that situation, reading the rules suggests it is a valid fight, and the unit does NOT need to test for disorder, as it has not exited the terrain.

This is a real problem for the St. Alban's scenario (which is a battle that fascinates me).
If defenders barricade part-way down the lanes and form up two wide down the lanes to defend the barricades (and to have clear shooting forward for all archer bases), they will suffer the -6 penalty in the fight for 2 files, but attackers who in reality would be funnelled up the lanes can attack in a line, straddling the lane, and not suffer the penalty.
If defenders barricade the main street end of the lanes, they can form line in the street while defending the barricades with 2 bases and having a base front each side, but none of the archers will be able to shoot, as more than 1 base front is obscured by terrain.

I think St. Alban's requires a scenario rule - maybe defining the buildings as TOWN: more dense than normal buildings areas, and only crossable in column (or something like that - I haven't tested such a rule yet).  That would allow Warwick's historical manoeuvre through the 'backs', but force him to then change formation and facing in the street to fight along the street afterwards.  It would also prevent any troops contacting the flank of double-file defenders in the lanes, as the column could not charge through the houses into them (columns cannot start a fight).

Any thoughts?

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: units partly in terrain and St. Alban's.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 12:30:10 PM »
Chris and I played this a few times at Fisticuffs one year.
If I remember rightly, the defender suffered for narrow frontage and attacker suffered for fighting across a barrier so fight D6 were more or less the same but all defenders saves were on front two or three bases where as the attackers were spread along there entire front.

lowroller

• Piglet
    • View Profile
Re: units partly in terrain and St. Alban's.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 01:14:32 PM »
Hmmm... it's an odd consequence of the game mechanic. I haven't entirely got my head around the fact that if you are only two wide, you can only lose 2 bases, while a unit 4 wide could lose all 4.

I must admit I've only tried this with the other option - barricading the inner ends of the lanes, so the defenders were in a line, but I forced the attackers to go up the lane two wide. The attackers  usually came off worst, even when Household - I did roll some pretty poor dice!  In the end, the Lancastrian defenders won, despite Warwick moving through into the street (when he got there, he had a couple of bad motivation rolls, so his troops stood around in indecision, not able to charge anyone!)