Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Flank attacks and casualties  (Read 101 times)

lowroller

• Piglet
    • View Profile
Flank attacks and casualties
« on: March 24, 2019, 01:58:03 PM »
Apologies if this has been raised before, but I have not seen it.

I am a bit perturbed about flank attacks. 
The rules on p49 say all casualties [hits?] are placed on the front rank bases... Saves are carried out for each base once all of the hits are distributed.

This suggests that if a typical 8-base unit is attacked frontally, it could take 4 casualties (if all 4 bases fail saving throws), but if attacked in the flank and it turns to face, it will only ever suffer 2 casualties, as all the hits are distributed on the 2 now front rank figures before saving throws. (Incidentally, if it does NOT turn to face, does it still stand to take 4, although 3 'front rank' bases are not in contact?  So you might still hit 3 fighters and a captain rather than any second-rank bows?)

This rather emasculates a flank attack, so I tend to distribute one hit per front rank base, then do saving throws for all those; if a base remains standing, give it another hit and attempt save and so on, but if all front rank bases are casualties before the hits are all used up, they are distributed on the newly-exposed rank.  Not what the rules say on a strict reading, but it seems a better reflection of the flank attack to me.  The flank attack is already reduced in effectiveness by being treated as a replacement of any existing frontal attack rather than an addition, allowing a possible turn to face.

I would be interested to read counter-arguments. 

Leman

• Star Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
Re: Flank attacks and casualties
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 10:23:04 AM »
I would assume that as wargames figures are merely representations of troops the casualties would still be removed from the forward facing front rank.

lowroller

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 05:30:31 PM »
But what is the rationale for that, if only the flank is now engaged?

Leman

• Star Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 05:43:25 PM »
Itís a game mechanic. It works particularly well in Square Bashing.

lowroller

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 06:09:01 PM »
OK. So just a means of reflecting they are more vulnerable through not having turned to face (so still maybe 4 bases at risk), but counterbalanced to some degree by the fact that they can still use front rank (normally fighters) saving throws, rather than those of the exposed flank bases (normally one fighter, one archer).

Fair enough - as a deliberate game mechanic, I will accept that works.  Thanks for the replies.