Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: DIYers  (Read 283 times)

Alex918

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
DIYers
« on: March 01, 2019, 10:26:10 PM »
Assuming that our hobby is roughly based around painting and modeling, I would be interested to know how many of us actually create our own terrain pieces from scratch.  Especially now that there is such a vast array of suppliers including Martin that create bespoke mouldings for buildings, bridges, hedges etc..

As much as I like the resin pieces availiabe, I'm a bit tight! and fair to say more of a modeller than gamer, so personally I very much enjoy building pieces from scratch be it buildings or terrain templates. What do others do?

I'll put a piece together on scratch building for the next edition of the Mill.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: DIYers
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 10:37:30 PM »
I like to do the "soft" scenery (terrain, hedges, trees) myself (even if I buy bits to help me along the way) but buy the "hard" scenery (buildings, bridges), albeit I like to paint them myself.

I'm not quite sure why this is, but I'm happy that way!

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 10:54:33 PM »
I buy all my scenery and terrain as there are a vast range of products available but like the colonel I normally paint my own buildings etc

Nick

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 07:53:43 AM »
Buildings - after using resin buildings for many years l have recently switched to MDF kits from companies like 4ground and Empires at War. I have found I really enjoy putting the kits together.

Leman

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 07:56:07 AM »
The appearance of the table is very important to me so I have not done any DIY terrain for over three decades, apart from a few river/stream sections for my 3mm games, which are not covered commercially.

Westie

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 01:09:59 PM »
If I can't get what I want commercially, I've been known to do a bit of scratch building or conversions. For example, I've scratch built a wooden bridge mainly from matchsticks and Milliput and field fortifications with the same materials with a cocktail stick or two included. Being put off by the price of some river sections, I've also 'started' but never finished my own very cheap river sections (plan to add river banks one day) - making your own also ensures the river is not too wide for your bridges. I've also converted headgear using Milliput - hats to bonnets, kepis to fezes and recently carved and painted stonework on a commercially bought bridge. I try not to be too ambitious and keep the work simple and down to small numbers.

Radar

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Keep Your Powder Dry
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 07:52:41 PM »
Similar to the Colonel here.

Quite happy to convert resin buildings, but less willing to scratch build. Maybe I should give it a whirl?

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 09:05:01 AM »
Having recently finished painting the SHQ Spanish buildings, I've now had the urge to scratch build my own! I have a lot of ideas.

I've also started to make my own trees very similar to the Last Valley ones.

Again like the Colonel, the hard bits like Normandy buildings, bridges and trenches I'll buy but paint my own. The softer bits like terrain templates for the Piggie rules, rough ground bits etc I'll try and make myself.

There is so much that is commercially available that if you're so inclined you can buy it all. But there is some satisfaction in making your own bespoke piece.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2019, 10:43:35 AM »
But there is some satisfaction in making your own bespoke piece.

Yup - I think you've nailed it there!

I think too that scratch-built terrain can be better than what's commercially available. For example, Miles has done some excellent pieces, the like of which I've not seen available off the shelf.

Leman

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2019, 11:35:14 AM »
There is unfortunately also the time element when scratch building.

Alex918

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2019, 05:35:24 PM »
Yes time as ever is the main frustration, however as mentioned the satisfaction of having something you have enjoyed creating pays off for me. And as much as I really do like the ready made stuff I want to save my expenditures on figures. After all once you add up paint, brushes, glue, more glue because the lid wasnít quite on the earlier one and itís all dried up we actually spend a fair bit on our hobby. And the wife wants a new kitchen thatís one thing I canít hand make!

Leman

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2019, 10:30:45 AM »
There are other aspects of DIY that I do enjoy, but using commercial materials. One is encampments for my armies. It is amazing what is out there these days in terms of tents, cooking equipment, barrels and crates, civilians, off-duty soldiers ( who hasnít got men being rude, drunks, men reading, naked women etc?). The real enjoyment comes from putting it all together so that it looks convincing.

mellis1644

• Wild Boar
  • The Frozen North- https://mellis1644.wordpress.com
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2019, 02:22:57 PM »
I build buildings. Just got a couple of log JM cabins fairly cheep from a local store. I cannot make something which looks good in 15mm as cheap and they are the generic building - able to be used from ancients all the way up to ACW games. :)

I may try making some adobe buildings as one point but have not done so yet.

I buy trees - china is a great source for such things. Cheap and easy. I have bought rivers and roads in the past but might have a go making them at some point. I do need to make more generic terrain cover area's such as fields though. In the bast I have used felt etc but I'm never that happy with the look.

I make my own 'rocky ground', hedges and walls for 15mm. For walls as an example they are so easy - I use lollipop sticks, paint and a sharpie/scatter to create walls and hedges. You can see show below.

Hills are the tough one for me. I have made some but really want more (and varied) ones. I keep trying to make them survivable, as in a club environment they get hammed.

Leman

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2019, 04:54:02 PM »
Those walls look very impressive.

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2019, 05:05:59 AM »
I build a lot of the 6x6, 5x8,12x6 templates we have done over the years. Les and Dave (the painter) Marcroft showed me the basic colours and skills to make what we need in templates. I use a lot of basic materials that most people throw away, as i am a dustman this is a good source. Then when we have nice weather i go outside cut a few bits of scrap wood up and apply my skills and magic. I always mix the sand in with the paint before i paint over my templates.
Next projects are making Dead Ground, Rocky and very Rocky templates with some old bark and a Apche Fort similar to the old Airfix one out of kebab sticks and coffee stirring sticks for the Westerns.