Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Skirmishers etc  (Read 190 times)

martin goddard

• Star Supporter Admin
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Skirmishers etc
« on: February 09, 2019, 07:38:32 AM »
Used Welsh last night at club. The skirmishers were quite lucky, but created a a lot if problem for the enemy. Killing one base can cause a morale  test wherein the unit might lose 2D6. Enough to hold them back. Being free, the 3 units of skirmishers helped the Welsh lack of armour.

Rob used Swine head. It worked well but suffered deaths too. Killed my unarmored Welsh spears. probably good when you have some armoured men to make up the snout.

We also had 4 challenges. 3 resulted in death. Close and tense.

Great games.

Leman

• Star Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
Re: Skirmishers etc
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 01:08:52 PM »
That sounds interesting as I have a really old Welsh-style army (from when FK15 used to be based in Northern Ireland) awaiting a rebase for use with Longships. I grew up in Llandudno which had a strong Viking connection.

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 05:23:06 PM »
What is the Viking connection with Llandudno? I spent many a childhood holiday there and have never heard about this.

Leman

• Star Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 09:53:41 PM »
The Great Orme and Little Orme; the word Orme comes from the Scandinavian Omr which apparently means sea creature or sea monster. The Ormes were a landmark for raiding Vikings from the Isle of Man and Ireland. I now live in SW Lancs, another Viking area, in Formby (founded by Vikings as Fornebei). Local Viking place names include Litherland, Crosby, Ainsdale, Birkdale, Kirkby and, of course, Ormskirk, Omr also being a Viking given name.