Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PBI Russian force on eBay (ends 20/1/19)  (Read 946 times)

Leman

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
Re: PBI Russian force on eBay (ends 20/1/19)
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2019, 08:26:35 AM »
All very odd. I never saw the attraction of the competition scene. Always struck me as a place that accommodated the snidey bully types. A reason I donít like competitive sport in general (probably tells you a lot about my experience of sport at school).

steve_holmes_11

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2019, 10:56:28 AM »
It depends on where / what you play. For casual club games there isnít a problem, but for a lot itís the competition scene. So there are 2 factors - no support for the game by the publisher and being able to Ďget a gameí

Support - always struck me as a dissonant use of the word. Perhaps indicative of a throwaway society.

My idea of support would be an author who maintains and FAQ and occasionally answers questions about the rules.
Good support might infolve maintaining a discussion forum, and posting battle reports and similar inspirational material.

The younger players seem to use the same word to describe regular production of expansions with built-in obsolescence.
They see this as a good thing.
It probably is if we're talking about mobile telephone contracts, but not toy armies that might take 6 months to prepare.

Leman

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2019, 11:48:15 AM »
Itís almost as if a set of rules has been written that has enough left out that a supplement or ten is needed to get the best out of the rules. Last year I bought a downloaded set of rules for the 1800 - 1915 period. Definitely quick play with a suggested maximum of 12 units per side. It included some conflict specific lists to help generate armies from Napoleon to Neuve Chapelle, some ideas for add-ons to help with the development of scenarios and ideas for generating a simple campaign - all in 50 pages including the front cover. To cap it all it gives a really good game. If I remember correctly, I think they cost $8.50! :)