Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Request Assistance understanding the Reinforcements rule  (Read 676 times)

Lighthorse

• Piglet
    • View Profile
Request Assistance understanding the Reinforcements rule
« on: May 09, 2019, 07:37:14 AM »
First of all...excellent job in writing Western overall, enjoy how these rules were written.
On our first game of Western, we didn't bother with Reinforcements rule, just focus on basics rules.

First Question;
Second game, I was townsfolk, against attacking Plain Indians. I suffer very heavy to very bad dice rolls for pre-defender loses. Losing 15 out of force of 52(mostly raw).
First turn, Plain Indians drove down another eight townfolks caught out in the open.
My issue is on page 84 of the rules. "Players can complete the formation of their reinforcement group at the end of any turn.... Once the group is formed, 4D6 are rolled every turn...every 5, 6 will allow another base to be added.
Given that the game is 4 to 5 turns for each player, that on average is 1.33 base(s) recover per turn. There no way one can form a great than 6 bases/unit in time to re-enter the game.
And does a player need to roll for pre-game defender loses too?

Second Question;
How does leaders and commander get killed, besides be the last one left in a group?
Where in the rules (what page) where this is address?
I thought I read where first lose owning player picks, second lose in same combat other player pick or was that another set of rules.

Would love include pictures of our 28mm western battles, but read forum issue on posting pictures. (I used photobucket)

Happy Trails All
Lighthorse

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Request Assistance understanding the Reinforcements rule
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 03:51:45 PM »
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Do you have a name we could use in conversation?  Bob, Jim, etc...it makes the forum  friendly. I am not keen on too much anonymity.

Good and useful questions.

Hope I can throw some light?

1. You are correct 1.33 is the average success with 4D6. However  a mounted group can re-roll, which should increase this.
Thus after 4 turns there will be 5 or more bases present. This is intentional . Reinforcements are a "potential" not a "likely". That helps maintain excitement.
The length of time to actually have enough dead to form a reinforcement group will also work against the attacker (intentional).
In the pre-game a player needs to make a decision based on the size of desired reinforcement groups and the likelihood of arrival. Western is full of such decisions .

2. If there are as many hits as bases then the leader must receive one of those hits. The hits must be shared out at the rate of one hit per base. Any excess is applied by shooter.
I often put a hit on a leader because the save is1 better.  thus a base in partial cover at range saves on 3,4,5,6  but the leader would save on 2,3,4,5,6 a risk that i am willing to take at times.  Once again, a player risk decision.

P71  "allotting hits' gives detail of how to apply hits.

I for one would love to see any pictures you have . You can always send them to me and I will host them on the PP website, if that helps (jpeg please)

Ready for more questions here!  Best wishes

martin

Lighthorse

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 07:00:57 PM »
Thanks Martin for your speedy reply

:")
Henry

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 08:33:42 PM »
Thank you Henry.

Lighthorse

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 02:46:52 AM »
Hey Martin,

First picture show my loses from pre-battle defender rolls in the lower left and loses from Plains Indians first turn just below the game mat.
Second picture is my friend Milton's force made up of crazy and wild plain Indians.
It was a hard fought battle, with heavy loses to townsfolk (over 50%), but they held out in 3 buildings that repulse repeated assaults by Indians.
Again fun and fast rules.
Next Wednesday it will be two Armies again each other, the US Cavalry vs Mexican forces.

:")
Henry

[attachment deleted by admin]

Lighthorse

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 02:47:49 AM »
First picture

[attachment deleted by admin]

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 07:51:56 AM »
Henry, that is good. A picture really helps.
Keep the reports coming in.
The figures are by Foundry?

I have a cavalry and Indian force. I used Warrior figures.

What are you using for your liability?  I used some pack mules.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 08:01:12 AM »
Henry,

Welcome to the Forum - nice models and pictures!

Regarding the posting of photos, there should (hopefully - I don't use it but that's how other such sites work) be a Photobucket option to generate a forum / chatroom photo link.

This will start with "img" in square brackets and end in "/img" also in square brackets (which I can't type here or it will be interpreted as code...) and a web link sandwiched in the middle.

This should bring in your pictures here at a bigger size, as well as saving on server storage on this forum :)

Do please feel free to drop me a note ["My Messages" in the menu list above] if you need any further help on this.

Cheers,

Simon

Lighthorse

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 08:39:11 AM »
Hey Martin,

All my townsfolk are old western skirmish figures(the miniature companies is out of business now) I bought years ago and stop playing with since I dislike most western type skirmish game that are so sloooow. My liability were a outlaw masked and running away with bag of cash as the town Judge and a lady, owner of a last night business above the saloon
That why I totally enjoy Peter Pig's Western rules...are battles, not skirmish.
My Indians are a mix of Foundry, Old Glory, and few others that had mounted Indians. The dismount Indians were purchased long time ago.
My US Cavalry is Mostly Perry's mounted plastic and dismounted metal troops/ACW are Perry's too. For my US Cavalry leaders I used Foundry"s Little Bighorn Personalities mounted and dismounted, they just are awesome looking figures and a kick to paint up.
My Mexican Army I purchases three years ago from a good wargaming friend.
I'm take photos and write a AAR of our battle afterwards.

And thanks Simon, I will try using square brackets for my photos.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 08:51:21 AM »
Thanks for getting in touch by Messages, Henry - I'll endeavour to sort you out!

Simon

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 09:46:49 AM »
Square brackets, is that caused by a lack of vegetables?

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2019, 10:17:20 AM »
Square brackets, is that caused by a lack of vegetables?

And too much red meat.