Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ECW Battlefields visited  (Read 78 times)

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
ECW Battlefields visited
« on: December 04, 2018, 07:01:30 PM »
ECW battlefields.
Have you visited any?
Would you recommend any?
Is there one you want to visit?

Radar

• Supporter 2018
  • Wild Boar
    • View Profile
    • Keep Your Powder Dry
Re: ECW Battlefields visited
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 07:57:19 PM »
Visited quite a few: the big three - Marston, Edgehill and Naseby. Very little to see at Edgehill due to MoD site. Interesting that the only officially recognised ghosts (in UK) haunt Edgehill.

Lots of lesser battles, including Hopton Heath, Adwalton, Newark, Nantwich and Rowton Heath. Also the route Rupert took to York, with a few dust ups along the way.

Documented them on my blog, finding postcodes for car satnavs for memorials, points of interest and car parking.

Still a few sites I'd like to visit Basing House probably at the top of the list.

Newark, Naseby and Adwalton are my top tips for visits. Adwalton needs expanding to a couple of local houses; Newark the Queen's Sconce, Castle and National Civil War Centre; Naseby best untouched battlefield.

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 07:58:20 PM »
Marston Moor was good. It's pretty much as it was from what I saw.  Just outside of York so always possible to fit in around Vapnartak.

Towton is close to there as well so two birds with one stone.

Naseby is pretty good too with lots of preservation work on going. Phil Steele is your man for this.

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 09:28:35 PM »
So far have visited Edge Hill, Lansdown, Roundway Down, Hopton Heath, Nantwich, Marston Moor, Rowton Heath, and the area around Lathom House. The easiest to visualise the battles are Lansdown, Roundway Down, Hopton Heath and Marston Moor.

Martin Smith

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 10:16:21 PM »
Roundway (nice and open still), Basing House (or rather the site of...most of it slighted well n truly), Lansdown (impressively steep approach) and Cheriton (local to me, some uncertainty as to actual site of the fighting) , plus Alton (home town...minor battle, 1000 vs 5000 or thereabouts).

Martin

ps, Towton, mentioned above, was very well signed, with a self-guided walking tour between info boards. One of the best battlefield sites Iíve seen.

Alex918

• Supporter 2018
  • Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 07:30:04 PM »
I am quite fortunate to live about 10 minutes from Piercebridge a little known action/skirmish that would make for a good scenario, not much to see today, less for the obvious!

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/local/darlington/16272654.the-battle-of-piercebridge-is-recreated-in-miniature/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVP7FuaIudw