Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Weymouth Wargames Weekend report 2018  (Read 82 times)

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
Weymouth Wargames Weekend report 2018
« on: December 03, 2018, 11:13:46 PM »
After a last minute shift change I was able to make the weekender. It was my 4th year attending what for me is the highlight of my gaming year. It was a record year for games played (11) and I can say it was probably my favorite of the 4 weekenders I have attended.

I had painted up a Posse/Lawmen force to play a couple of Western games and I also took down my Anarchist Militia for a game of Bayonets and Ideology. I was also keen to play Pieces of Eight, both the sea and land raid game which I did, accounting for 7 of my 11 games! The rest were made up of 3 Western games and 1 SCW game.

This is an image from my first Western game on Friday night. Myself and Miles took on Martin and Mark who were using Plains Indians.

Another shot of the same game. I suspect Miles and I lost this game but I can't for the life of me remember the score. What I can say is for one days work painting and preparing my figures, I was really pleased with how they looked.

Also from Friday night on the table next to our Western game, Mike, Chris and Rob were playing through a playtest of the Pirates Land Raid game. I think they player either 3 or 4 games with the defenders winning all of them.

A Pieces of Eight sea battle with Les, Stewart (the organiser), Mike, Chris and Paul. One side is the Merchant fleet trying to make it from one corner to the opposite corner. The other side plays the Pirates trying to capture the Merchants. Although still in playtest, they feel 90% done with the victory point system to be tweaked with one or two other minor adjustments.

An image from my SCW game on Saturday morning. Rob and I took on Chris and Mike who were playing Assault Guards. A really excellent game ending in a narrow win to the Assaultos. They only managed to hold one objective by the game end but the Anarchists just couldn't get hold of any of the others. In the distance in the picture you can just see the bridge objective. The militia in the forefront made several attempts at assaulting along the gully which is dead ground in the rules. Chris held me off with his platoon but had suffered considerable losses. With one more turn I think we could have made it!

A close up of two fleets engaging. The two ships on the smaller bases are from Martin's collection. The other ships are from Les's collection. Very nice they are too.

For the first time, there were two none RFCM games played over the weekend. This is Stewart's Rorkes Drift game. I can't remember whether the buildings are Warlords or Redoubts but they are very nice. Stewart has painted loads of Zulus (not quite thousands) and all of the personalities were present for the Imperial forces. I spotted Michael Caine in a spot pf bother. I'm unsure of the outcome of the game. Interestingly the rules were home grown from Stewart's fevered imagination and based on squares.

I think this was Saturday afternoon. In the distance, Chris and Rob face off in a game of Washingtons Army. In the foreground is another playtest of Pirate ships with Martin and Simon taking on Miles and Les.

The first of two Western games on Saturday night. Myself and Mark as Posse playing against Rob and Miles using Plains Indians. We won this one but it was a slightly odd game. I chose to extend the game to a ninth turn and a final assault on the homestead in the middle distance paid off winning us the game. In our second game, we lost two out of five units in the first turn. 2 of the other units took a bit of a pasting and it was all too much for Mark who wondered off elsewhere. Martin jumped into his seat and the game ended up being an absolute stonker. My commander, Bad Bob, held on until the last turn when he fell in a cinematic death giving victory to the Indians 60 points to 46. Just goes to show with RFCM games, it's never over until it's over and never give in!

The second none RFCM game hosted by Mike. WW2 aerial combat using lots of these lovely little planes. I think they are from Tumbling Dice in the main. Interestingly, the homegrown rules written by Mike are also grid based. Mike has kindly forwarded me a copy of the rules to peruse. Lovely looking game.

Chris hosted a game of Bloody Barons for Paul on Sunday morning. One of my favourite RFCM games and I would have taken part  but was busy with Pirate  Ships.

I was surprised how few pictures I had actually taken. No pictures of the Pirate land raid games I played for instance. This is a cracking game that takes less than an hour to play and is fast and furious. I am tempted to build a custom board for this as it's played on a 3'x2' board.

Another year over. Hopefully the George hotel will still be available to host us again next year. If not I do hope we can secure another venue as the chance to play so many games with such a good crowd is a real pleasure. It's as much about the company and the camaraderie as playing toy soldiers. It's a great mix and long may it continue.

Thanks to Stewart for organising. Thanks to all my partners and opponents in all 11 games I played. And thanks to all attendees for making it such a memorable weekend.

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
Re: Weymouth Wargames Weekend report 2018
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 10:26:28 AM »
Can anyone see the pictures?

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 10:34:10 AM »
I can now, thanks - they weren't showing earlier.

Probably the TinyPic site going down. It does every so often, hence the occasional issues with the News photos.

Great photos, by the way!

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 11:02:55 AM »
Pics look good Sean, glad you enjoyed your self, thanks for travelling down.
Plan for next year more Bloody Barons and vikings?

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 11:50:54 AM »
Yes!

12 different games next year.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 02:14:01 PM »
Great weekend/pictures.

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 02:45:37 PM »
really good report Sean, look forward to seeing your fleet next year!

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 09:47:48 PM »
Sean can you please send it to me for inclusion in the magazine please. You may have already thought f that, if so thanks. The general gamer  community will not have seen it.

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 10:56:27 PM »
Of course Martin, no problem.