Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Western Addition - Major Dundee Additions?  (Read 146 times)

Jonnyboy

• Piglet
    • View Profile
Western Addition - Major Dundee Additions?
« on: November 08, 2018, 10:45:24 PM »
Ok so there's been mumblings of interest amongst friends for a while and thinking about forces the Western fan can create, using a mix of ACW and the Western 7th cav and cowboys shouldn't be too much of a strain to Create Charlton, good old Richard Harris and the boys. However any chance of a few packs Of Maximillian French in the pipeline? Couple of packs of French in Kepi ala Camerone, a couple of lancer packs and artillery and maybe some Zouaves would suffice, some Mexican rebels would be cool as well. Any takers?

Leman

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
Re: Western Addition - Major Dundee Additions?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 07:17:44 AM »
WWI zouaves maybe giving some a head swap, such as broad-brimmed hat.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 09:28:36 AM »
You might consider the WW1 early war French. Your idea sounds most interesting, but sadly I don't think they can push anything else off the schedule at present. But never say never! 
Next few PP things are hopefully a start on viet cong in the new year.  Then some US for Vietnam. Plus other odds and ends .

shedman

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 04:35:30 PM »
QRF do an excellent range for the French Intervention in Mexico which has everything apart from the US/CS forces

However if you want to stay true to the film then WW1 German Uhlans will do nicely for the "French Lancers" who appear in the last battle.

And for a very good Major Dundee scenario then see Maximilian 1862 by skirmishcampaigns

sjwalker51

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 07:50:30 PM »
Those Skirmish Campaigns scenario books are excellent, arenít they? Iím currently working on forces for their Boxer Rebellion games (in 28mm - I accumulated the lead pile precisely 2 weeks before Blue Moon announced the launch of their 15mm range).

Maximilian Adventure is another one of those great sideshows that is not well covered in 15mm, other than the QRF Range,which is nice but a bit dated.

BUT, thereís another excuse for Martin to Ďsimplyí do some sombrero head-swaps on existing cowboy figures and sell them in a pack of 6 different figures - and Iím sure heíd sell more to Shedman and me alone than the total sales of all those ACW characters, lovely though they may be :-)

Come on Martin, you know you want to...and while youíre at it, do some 1914 Brits without backpacks and Iíll happily use them as Federales in both Revolution or Wild Bunch scenarios!

Jonnyboy

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 10:00:19 PM »
Ok so its great to see fellow interest out there, I was looking around and aware of the QRF ex Freikorps 15 range but as said whilst amazing sculpts for their day, they are beginning to show their age, the lack of variety in posing being one problem, plus I love PP.

So I was thinking Belgian WW1 as is, or with a headswap for the ACW Havelock caps for French line/ FFL. These guys will be the bread and butter of the force maybe with a few ECW wide brimmed hats/ Mexican Sombrero's to add a Mexican feel to the force.

Sorry this isn't my area of expertise but there appear to be light infantry wearing aTyrolean type hunting hat, these could possibly be represented by WW1 Belgian Carabiner Infantry, all that is needed is a green stuff side plume.

French WW1 Zouaves as regular Zouaves.

Egyptians from the Colonial British line as The Ottoman Battalion.

WW1 Uhlans as lancers per the movie as noted.

Union Cavalry, swords drawn (with Havelock head swap) as Chasseurs D' Afrique/ Chasseurs a Cheval.

WW2 pack mules will make a nice little mule train.

The new Confederate artillery in frock coat (pack 25) as regular artillery, maybe the 6pldr light gun as mobile artillery.

So just about looks doable  8) 8) 8), Of course have'nt actually read the rules to see how a "regular" infantry based force does in Western, but hey it might be fun to find out. Yeah, it's got legs, its a goer!

Jonnyboy

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 10:22:52 PM »
A little academic research...Ö  8)

"Whistle me a tune son".......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u3XGhYPshc

Link to the film on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx94fU_ymAI