Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sean's Figure Painting and Project Diary 21/11/18  (Read 2005 times)

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
Sean's Figure Painting and Project Diary 21/11/18
« on: July 28, 2016, 11:23:13 AM »
Bit of a monster post to start...apologies!

I'm going to use this thread to keep track of my painting and projects. I do have a blog but find it hard to keep updated. I'll post all pictures and updates here. As mentioned elsewhere, I have a varied selection of items on the go. Yesterday I thought I need to crack on with my Somme project and so finished painting the Germans. They are all done apart from basing and varnish. I could do with 2 more packs of dead and I need to do a HQ piece, but the rest are done.

Here is a unit using 16/149 - German Friekorps. Lovely figures!

The British were based and primed a few days ago. I've gone for a light brown/khaki colour (actually the Italian armour spray from Battelfront) which may not be quite right historically but I feel you always need to go a couple of shades brighter with 15mm or else you lose any detail.

Current Projects

Men of Company B Also on the go is the rebasing of my Vietnam for the new Men of Company B. They are all now on 2p's and need basing. The k9 unit, extra leader base for the US are painted and await a new can of varnish from Partizan.

Washingtons Army I have 2 units of Continentals for Washingtons Army done and awaiting basing and varnish. That project is now probably 75% done. The British are the sticking point. A good friend actually has a couple of units to paint up for me but I need to place an order when I return from my holidays mid August.

Civil War Battles The ACW is done but for the cavalry. Just some tidying up to do with flags, basing and varnishing. Can you see a theme emerging!

Bloody Barons My rebooted Wars of the Roses project now has 3 units of Retinue foot done. Most of the figures are purchased.

Battles in the Age of War My rebooted Samurai project has 1 unit of Levy Ashigaru painted and the figures for one army purchased.

PBI My WW2 armies have had no love for some time. I have late war US infantry and late war German. They are both based around the old black boxes Martin used to produce. I REALLY need to give the US a 3rd platoon of infantry, or otherwise increase them from having just 4 units.

fLongships - My Vikings  are done but need their flags adding. Ideally I need to add some skirmish bases and would like to do 3 units of cavalry for the Carolingian army option.

Hammerin Iron - Other than completing my collection by adding the few missing ships this is done!

AK47 - Another reboot. Figures await attention. Once the Somme is done, I foresee me doing a ''paint an army in a weekend' type of project. This will be a really fast build!

Regiment of Foote Done! apart form a Scottish army...and some of the new Irish troops....

These are the priest and dog figures. The dog was painted by my daughter Ava, aged 5 and a half.

Bayonets and Ideology Ready for the new version due to start playtesting at the end of the year I have 1 unit of Nationalists painted and the figures for two forces awaiting attention.

Conquerors and Kings Figures for Romans and Germans sit unloved beneath my table screaming for some attention. Not on the radar at the moment though!

Pieces of Eight Again, I have a few ships still in their packet awaiting some love. Not yet though.

So. A lot on the go. Variety is the spice of life as they say. Its only when you write these things down you realise just how much stuff I have. Accumulated over the last 10-15 years it soon builds up.

Anyway, I'll aim for a monthly update as a minimum but will add bits in between as time and effort allows.

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
Re: Sean's Figure Painting and Project Diary 2016 - 28/7/16
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 12:32:49 PM »
Now with pictures!

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 01:17:09 PM »
Very busy Sean, you need to retire

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 04:15:55 PM »
Only 14 years to go!

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 06:47:20 PM »
Youngster, nice to have you in the hobby

Leman

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 09:33:59 PM »
Ah yes, retirement. Great, as I have had three painting sessions today.

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
Re: Sean's Figure Painting and Project Diary 2016 - 25/9/18
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 08:43:21 PM »
Goodness me! In my new fiund spirit of enthusiasm I thought I'd better resurrect this thread. I'll post some pictures shortly but it's two years since the last post here and the theme remains the same.

The ACW cavalry are all done but just need a matt varnish. The AWI is well on the way to completion. The Vietnam stuff is done but now need to get the Montagnards done. WotR and Samurai are the next two projects to get serious attention. But somewhere in between are Cowboys and Pirates.

Variety is the spice of life and the beauty of all this is that if you  we'd a break from painting one period, you have plenty of options to fall back on!

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 08:51:02 PM »
Hope you make it for 5heveeekend and bring some of your stuf down

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 05:53:21 AM »
Very good Sean - I like the idea of "going public" to keep the peer pressure on to do some work (and sorry, I'd missed your initial post back in 2016 with all those nice photos).

Maybe you also need to put Ava to work more to help progress things?  Kilgore Juniors #1 and #2 got quite into "cowboys" and eagle markers. Of course, they never actually finish anything / stay focused for more than 20 minutes, but I feel future painting salvation could lie therein.

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 02:10:08 PM »
She likes the idea of painting houses which will come in useful as I attack up to 20 buildings for my SCW!

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2018, 09:03:00 PM »
At the moment you will need 16 for the Pirate land raid as well

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2018, 12:17:53 AM »
Good job they will be able to be used in both games 😁

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2018, 08:00:37 PM »
So as indicated in the Weymouth Weekend thread, this lunch time I decided to paint up my lawmen/posse for a Western game on Friday night.

I bought these a while ago but they have sat unloved in a drawer. With no work between now and Friday morning when I set off I thought I'd employ Lurkio's speed painting methods.

This is my desk at lunch time:

Glued to bases:

Sand applied to bases.

This is as of now. I'm going to leave the sand to dry then spray everything with either a brown or tan colour. A quick blast with white zenithal highlight. Going to pick out some details and then wash with Reikland Fleshshade. Finally skin.

I've got the rest of tonight and then most of tomorrow until bedtime. Might not get them all done but I do like a challenge and a deadline. I'll post progress in this thread.

Wish me luck!

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2018, 09:39:46 PM »
It's damned hot out on the plain Sean!  I am bringing several different western armies ,so you can fight whatever opponents your chaps fancy!

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2018, 11:29:28 PM »
So I have drawn stumps as of 11pm tonight. Progress has been made!

This is the current state. I went with just a brown spray. I have then drybrushed various tans and browns all over the place to give a non uniform look. Tomorrow I'll pick out one or two spot colours...maybe the odd blue pair of trousers, black hat or red waistcoat. Then weapons followed by the ink wash. Once done I'll just have hands and faces to go.

First picture is the group shot.

Next, most of the mounted troops

Dismounted

My leader, 'Bad Bob', surrounded by casualties

Finally a couple of wagons and spare leader.

It's been along time since I did one of these challenges. I remember around 10 or 12 years ago painting an AK47 army in a couple of days for the old Brixcon event. I also knocked out two ACW armies over the course of a week whilst Lisa was away skiing.

It's amazing what you can achieve with a bit of time, some corner cutting techniques, and a good audio book to listen too (Battle for Spain by Anthony Beevor.)

More tomorrow.