Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: when did you start?  (Read 1115 times)

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
when did you start?
« on: July 27, 2016, 04:50:33 PM »
Quite day today and I started thinking about the war games weekend in Nov, better check I know where everything is.
When I looked at what I had collected this got me thinking about the hobby.
I started over 40years ago with my Dad  and Airfix figures, then boxed games and 6mm figures, easy to store in my locker at Sea (Royal Navy for 34 years).
I met Martin (Peter Pig) 2005 and started collecting 15mm and now I know where everything is for the weekend I counted my 15mm stuff,
told you I was bored.
totals
8926 foot
855 cav
133 guns
195 tanks/other vehicles
9 helicopters
30 ships
4 forts
all painted and stowed neatly away

Leman

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
Re: when did you start?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 06:52:21 PM »
I started in the Autumn of 1966. I had visited somebody's house and the son of the family had produced a battle board (hardboard with papier mache features) for his Airfix ACW collection. I already had lots of Airfix ACW so decided I would do the same thing; have a go at painting up the figures using Humbrol paints and then try and come up with some rules for moving and fighting them. I then went off on a school cruise to Morocco (the SS Nevasa if anyone remembers her). When I returned I had turned 14 and so was now eligible to join the MAYC, where I instantly hit it off with a lad in the year above me called Pete Bartlam. After a while, like most friends in those days, I was invited round to his house, where he showed his ACW figures fighting over a sand table in the family garage. I told him what I had been doing with my ACW figures, and he lent me a copy of Don Featherstone's 'War Games', the one with the green black and white cover. I had at last discovered my second hobby (the other being hill walking) and both have stayed with me these past 50 years. Could not even begin to work out how much stuff I have!

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 09:01:23 PM »
My history began in the early '80's playing dungeons and dragons. My dad had bought me a small box of Hinchcliffe  Greeks ans Romans but I had no idea what to do with them. I well remember the first issue of Miniature Wargaming and I would regularly pick it up and later Wargames Illustrated.

In 1989 I saw an advert for a small show called 'Sentry' held at the town hall in Stoke. There I met members of the Stoke Wargames Group who ran the show and the rest is history. Not long after I first met Martin, probably at the Derby show at the Assembly Rooms. My first purchase was ACW and Vietnam. I've never looked back.

I own figures for every range Peter Pig does, but not actually played War in the Age of Magic or Pieces of Eight. I actively play all Piggie rules other than Abteilung and Hey You in the Jail which I've not played for years. For historicals I dont really play anything else other than the odd game of Bolt Action. I do also play Warmachine, Malifaux and a couple of other fantasy/sci fi games.

My collection of Piggies is in the thousands, unfortunately not all painted. I went through a purge a few years ago and sold a load of figures off. Happily I've now repurchased them and am well on the way to painting them up.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 10:51:57 PM »
Late '70s: Britain's 54mm knights and spinning a numbered Christmas cracker top [life was tough in the West Country - couldn't even afford dice...] against a very simple table of my own making to determine the outcome of combats in my wooden castle: wargaming without knowing it.
Early '80s: was given some Airfix French infantry and artillery, and Bruce Quarrie's "Napoleonic Wargaming" Airfix guide
Later '80s: had lots of fun casting up Prince August 25mm Napoleonic figures. And rather less fun cleaning up the castings and then trying to paint the somewhat feature-free models. Graduated to my first 15mm army [Mikes Models ECW]
'90s: WRG and Newbury Ancients of various incarnations: Late Romans and Huns from Essex, plus lots of other cool DBA armies that I never got around to painting
Noughties: discovered Peter Pig were much nicer, and far easier to clean up, than Essex.
Now anything new and shiny from the Piggy workshop...

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 08:00:58 AM »
Having slept a night in the  PP workshop I can safely say the unpainted  lead pile puts mine to shame 😂

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 01:20:04 PM »
I do have the warlords big rorkes drift with extras that my wife bought me a few years ago.
That is my work in progress when I work away, it goes with me and I do a little bit.
Everything is in a big case so easy to take with me

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 04:16:49 PM »
That is a great set. I would probably have to do it in 15mm though.