Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The 15 Mill  (Read 2974 times)

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: The 15 Mill
« Reply #150 on: December 11, 2018, 11:39:59 AM »
No problem Les. It will be available from the PP website. The intention is to put it on as a pdf. The  older ones will also stay available too.

Rittervonbek

• Supporter 2019
  • Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 11, 2018, 12:07:53 PM »
Is there any way we could subscribe to the limited edition figures packs? I'd hate to miss out by being forgetful at some point. It could be called "The Millers' Model Membership"? Just a thought.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 11, 2018, 12:44:17 PM »
Lovely figure pack now available on the PP website for The Duel - check out the News section!

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 11, 2018, 02:35:14 PM »
The limited edition gamette packs will be around for about 6 months after the "event". The rules discussion should be a reminder of how they go.  Forum members will also get some priority.  I am expecting to sell about 10 packs total.

Wardy64

• Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 11, 2018, 03:13:58 PM »
Well done that man. Very nice indeed.  ;D

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 11, 2018, 04:10:08 PM »
My order is in and have the Duell field printed.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 11, 2018, 05:13:52 PM »
The limited edition gamette packs will be around for about 6 months after the "event". The rules discussion should be a reminder of how they go.  Forum members will also get some priority.  I am expecting to sell about 10 packs total.

Could these be good for shows? You could have one game set up for folk to try, and then sell them the gamette afterwards?

steve_holmes_11

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 24, 2018, 05:29:42 PM »
Just found the forum and joined, so first post.
A magazine is an exciting prospect, and all the plans sound very positive.

Ours is a diverse hobby: I sometimes looks at the variety of periods, rules and scales and wonder how anybody can find an opponent to play against.

There are essentially 2 approaches to a diverse market, and they fit rather neatly with the two types of gamer (of course there are far more types, but I have observed this particular binary divide).

The first approach is differentiation (Invent a new scale) and lock-in (You have to buy our stuff because we built a monopoly).
It requires a big marketing beast to pull it off, and maintain a lead against the nevitable bandwagon jumpers who start producing compatible gear.
I think we know the companies and scales involved here.
Within wargaming this model does suit the habits of the one-stop shopper.
People who have grown accustomed to getting all their stuff; figures, paints, rules, dice, tape-measures from a single source.
They don't instinctively shop around, and tend to suck up price hikes.

The second approach is to embrace standards and compatibility - we can all plug our computers into the internet because of this approach.
It's the way to go in a market of many similar sized players, or where several businesses will collaborate to deliver a service.
This seems the way of the 15mm market - lots of suppliers, none dominant, but a fair number providing products that will mix happily.
The wargamer who buys in this market tends to be a DIYer, willing to mix and match, shop around, resourceful (and probably a difficult customer).

I'll add that there's a generational trend, with the older gamers more likely to be the DIYer - because back in the day your Roman cavalry were actuyally Cuirassiers converted with a bit of plasticene, banana oil and a dressmakers pin.
The younger generation often entered the hobby when the one stop shop was not only established, but it existed in bricks and mortar on their high-street.

Most of you are wondering "Where's he going with this".

* Is it possible or desirable to break out beyond the older DIYer market in some way?
 * Can a magazine help?

I've witnessed the efforts of Pendraken and Baccus (Honourable mentions of both earlier in the thread) to present a unified picture for their scales.

Pendraken are a market leader in 10mm, have extensive ranges and will sell you glue, brushes, scenery and even tongue depressors form an impressibe shop at many shows.
They probably come closest to the "Nottingham model of 1 stop shop" - but it looks like bloody hard work - decades of giving 110%.

Baccus with their "joy of six" have a model that I think will work better for 15mm.
Some effort to coordinate the various 6mm suppliers (I fear there is little figure compatibility between manufacturers, but certain synergies still exist).

Building form that, here are some ideas for 15 Mill.

* Sell the idea that "other scales are available" to the one-stop shop chunk of the hobby.

That could be something like a focus on something they'll like (usually Goblinz or Tanks) with examples of usable product ranges.
   It may also involve "Scaling (something)" for 15mm.
   If you can show the Bolt Action fans a table with several tanks on each side, they might be impressed.

* Already mentioned, nothing worse than going crusading "28mm is WRONG - see the error of your ways kids" won't impress anybody.
    Pete form Baccus does this in a tongue in cheek way that I find funny, but t's so easy to get it wrong, and deter potential customers.

Keep positive, but stress the strengths of 15mm for certain situations.

* Don't assume that Fanboys have closed minds, but they do get confused by concepts that grognards take for granted.

For example "This French battalion is presented on a 20:1 troop ratio, the real thing would have 720 soldiers".
    I've seen heads "asplode" at that thought.

* I think the way to reach the 1 stop shoppers is through very basic scenarios, and presenting a set of "triples".

You want to do Saving Private Ryan / Fury / Troy / Gladiator - Here are the:
       1: Miniatures
       2: Rules
       3: Scenario

Well that turned out a lot longer, and far more rambling than I first intended.
Good luck with the magazine.
Merry Christmas

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 24, 2018, 06:02:56 PM »
Thanks for joining  and thanks for giving your thoughts Steve.  Edition 1 is  trail blazer to establish a presence. Then the future is fairly open. The trick i think, is to keep the magazine  going after the initial couple of issues.  Luckily the magazine can expand and contract as we wish.  The other main thrust is that the magazine should reflect "normal (?)" gamers and their stuff.  First edition will be a  bit "piggy", due to the contacts that are found here on this noble forum !
One aim is to get makers to define as "15mm" and thus help prevent/cure  the splintering caused by 18mm etc.

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #159 on: December 24, 2018, 11:23:41 PM »
Agree with the comments. Although content will inevitably be Piggie to start there is room to extole the virtues of the wider 15mm hobby. It can point towards other manufacturers who do ranges that Peter Pig don't do for instance.

My forthcoming scenarios will be based on Piggie rules and Piggie figures but scenery will be considered from the likes of S&A plus others that I know Simon will have included in his piece.

Exciting times.

Merry Christmas
Sean

steve_holmes_11

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 25, 2018, 10:10:54 AM »
Thanks for the welcome, and apologies for the length of that first braindump.

I agree completely that maintaining momentum after the rush of the first edition is the hard bit.
That's been my experience in various types of newsletter / fanzine etc.

I suppose the main take-away from my long ramble is that I see a cultural split between the DIY "Grognard" and the one-stop "Fanboy".
Companies that cater to the grognard have typically struggled to reach across to the other potentially lucrative audience.

The magazine is the first start - but it helps to talk to them in terms of "complete offerings".
I think 15mm can do that: Peter Pig, for example have rules, figures, battlepacks and accessories.
I also think that the deep strength of 15mm lies in the number of suppliers and the variety that brings.

Merry Christmas everybody.

Big Mike

• Wild Boar
  • "Bring up the PIAT!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 12, 2019, 05:20:59 PM »
Martin,
Just read the new Mag, excellent production values and content. Well done all concerned.
Michael

Smoking gun

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 14, 2019, 01:10:09 PM »
I enjoyed the first edition of 15mm, some very inspirational stuff in there and I'm looking forward to the next issue.

Thank you,

Martin