Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The 15 Mill  (Read 17197 times)

Duncan

Re: Rules in the magazine
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2018, 12:06:20 PM »
Can we just clarify, are we thinking the magazine is going to be an online or pdf one or will it be an actual in print one, or will we have a choice ofcwhich format to get it in?
Personally I'd like to have one printed, an actual physical thing to hold and read through, but i presume that would be more expensive? What sort of cost are we looking at per issue anyway?

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2018, 02:27:00 PM »
Duncan you can print a couple of A4 in *.pdf pages, to get your printed copy.

More to the point who is going to have editorial control?

You have a battle report of a 'War in the Age of Magic' game that's 10+ pages with photographs. Who's going to control what's in each issue and how often it is published?

Leman

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2018, 03:48:02 PM »
Whatever happens don’t let a committee decide. This is one of those areas where democracy is fatal.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2018, 04:32:01 PM »
Whatever happens don’t let a committee decide. This is one of those areas where democracy is fatal.

I think Martin can play a good Autocrat  ;)

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2018, 06:23:37 PM »
Apparently, the most important thing is to get the trains running on time.

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2018, 07:11:24 PM »
I think it should be shared between Martin and Les ?
Inclusions of mini rules and scenarios is a good idea. Covers those little things we can't cover  in the bigger rules, but can play on our own tables. ACW snipers great idea !

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2018, 12:11:36 AM »
The plan (so far ) is this?
About 10 pages (min). No real upper limit
About 5 articles.
Probably pdf.
Free of charge
martin in charge
publish quarterly
back issues always available
download from PP website
Lots of pictures. Mostly of normal stuff. they pictures do not have to be just aimed at impressing the looker. More about informing.
Some regular features
15mm focused.
Readers only have to read the articles that interest them.
Will include some non PP stuff in terms of review, use, promotion etc.
Called "the 15  Mill"

All is in the discussion phase at the present.  Each edition might change completely in format etc.

I do not have the time(putting it into pdf , then job is done) , money (lots of wasted copy. cost of print and distribution) , confidence (it might be unpopular) or patience(dealing with people who know how it should be done and suggestions of how i could spend my time) to print and distribute.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2018, 09:18:04 AM »
The sounds like a most excellent plan, Martin.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2018, 09:24:00 AM »
Thanks 

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2018, 02:14:58 PM »
Sounds good Martin, I’m available if you need assistance

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2018, 06:08:00 PM »
Great ideas Martin.

The Wargamers Newsletter, big shoes to fill!

It only ran for 18 years.

sjwalker51

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2018, 08:56:41 PM »
I’d stick with a slightly expanded and more widely distributed version of the newsletter you used to do about 5 years ago, including short articles that might make people realise the potential of 15’s:

How to do headswaps on 15mm figures
Proxies for Campaigns not yet covered/reviews of all ranges available for specific campaigns.
How ‘skirmish’ games like SAGA or Sharp Practice look great when you substitute a stand of 3-4 15s instead of the single 28’s usually seen.

It’s often mentioned on CoC and Bolt Action forums that 15mm figures are perfect for the rules’ ground scale but the vast majority of players use 20/28mm because they’re unaware what’s available out there in 15mm - and social media offers great opportunities for smaller (!) manufacturers to reach a much wider audience at relatively little cost.

Look at the number of times Perry’s or Warlord (each with 20k+ followers) post ‘stuff’ on FB, not necessarily product or sales related. Very often it’s accounts of games played on great looking tables with nice figures. Khurasan (3k) is very active there but most 15mm manufacturers have less than 1k followers. Got to ask yourself why and how this can be changed.

Duncan

What is 15mm?
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2018, 07:59:22 AM »
A simple question and one i know we have touched on before in other topics, but maybe with all this trying to pro ote 15mm at the moment it is worth revisiting?

On investigation it seems that the main two definitionscare that it is either that 15mm is the height from ground it stands on, (i.e. where the feet come out from the base.) to the top of its head, or similarly from the ground to eye level, which can make actual figures more like 18mm or even 20mm tall at times.

It seems that at some point in the last 15 or so years the height measurement for most figures regardless of scale has switched from the top of head to the eye level and as such we have had a lot of scale creep. For example we used (when i was a lad.) to getva lot of 25mm figures, but over time these became 28mm and now it seems that is being mainlyvdiscarded in davour of 32mm, small changes that by and large one could overlook, if you had a single, two or three 28mm figures in a mainly 32mm force etc, but when you have some 25mm ones they look ridiculous.

Now i know that not all humans (and one presumes elves, orcs etcvas well?) are not all one height and a variety in a line can make it look more realistic, but that depends on  what ghe figures are doing. For examle a 25mm barmaid may fit well in a diorama with mainly 28 or even 32mm soldiers, but then she is carrying beer, not a gun and a 25mm Brenn Gun is a whole lot smaller than a 32mm one. Some ghings you can get away with or on occasion are even desirable but not all.

So with thev15mm, going back to that, what do we like? I have in my collection for Western some Old Glory figures, whichbalthoughba little bigger, in the themevsit nicely alongside thd PP ones, but again, the weapons are not standardised in the Western theme with every Tom Dick and Cedric bringing whatever pistol or rifle or rock they could afford, so it does not matter. If this was WW2, then whilst the heightvdifference in men may not be that bothersome the different sized guns would!

We then also need to look at the Normal V Heroic so called scale. Many fantasy and sci-fi (and FOW.) figurex i find are a little oddly proportioned, sometimes it is done well, other times not so much. Do we prefer Heroic or Proper proportion  in our little men or figures in general, regardless of sex?

Thoughts on this? (Or am i mi dlessly waffling for no reason?)

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2018, 08:53:20 AM »
Agree that for this venture, print would be out of the question. Of course readers can choose to print the off to read wherever they wish.

I shall get my thinking hat on for a possible article.

Well done Martin!

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2018, 08:58:54 AM »
Can I echo the point about the old newsletter. Whilst Pp specific I really enjoyed it. An expanded updated version of that would be great with final editorial control bčing Martin's. Imagine a fairly RFCM centric bias to the articles but I know that some members use other ranges so there could be the wider inclusion of other companies equipment 

The Facebook thing us interesting. Maybe a push with that would also help. I'd be happy to try something and spread the oink.