Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The 15 Mill  (Read 1661 times)

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Promote 15mm
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2018, 01:59:11 PM »
Martin, Mike and others went to Weymouth Comic-Con and put gam3s on. I believe there was a lot of interest and would come along to the local club but to date no new faces have showen up

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2018, 02:01:20 PM »
Now that I have set up a temporary paint station in the living room I find that I am busy painting and basing a mass of PP figures, but they are 3mm ACW. They look really good for the largest battles, whilst my 15mm collection I use for smaller battles which are regimental based. I use two rulesets for the massive battles: Chris Pringle’s Bloody Big Battles and Greg Waggman’s Altar of Freedom. for the smaller 15mm battles I use CWB, Field of Battle 2, Black Powder, Longstreet and Tin soldiers in Action. the rules I use tend to reflect the preferences of my various opponents.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2018, 02:27:19 PM »
One thing that has been suggested ... ... is for numerous 15mm manufacturers (of all types, regardless of if historical, fantasy, sci-fi and so on.) to get together and set up an online hub somewhere so that it could act as a central forum or place for photo gallery etc but also then link to their individual forums and websites.

I think that's a good idea in principle. It would presumably need one of the companies to take the lead, as well as a degree of collaboration between the rival (?) manufacturers. An alternative could be for an individual to take the lead, but they'd need to be either quite altruistic or presumably get some funding from the producers. And of course in any case there's the danger of the "hub"'s direction not being to the liking of all concerned.

I wonder whether Martin could indicate the degree of likely collaboration between manufacturers of 15mm (I'm not aware of much evidence to date, except between Minairons and Peter Pig)?

Another issue could be that some producers are keener to promote their overall brand (especially if they produce in several scales) than to put effort behind 15mm / 1:100 alone and/or support competitors in any way. Hopefully they could accept that the two are not mutually exclusive, but for those who already run their own marketing operation this could be an unwelcome distraction.

So I guess the net-out of this is that such an initiative (indeed any - the above would be valid for a 15mm show too) would all require a large dollop of cross-industry collaboration.

Duncan

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2018, 02:53:22 PM »
I think the point was That a lot of smaller cottage industry manufacturers only produce small ranges. One of the benefits of 15mm that had been raised was the ability to take figures and vehicles from numerous manufacturers, (many of which don't produce rules as well,) putting them together to form an army. The thinking being that this would help everyone both manufacturers and buyers.
Obviously there would need to be good relations between companies, or at least no negative ones.
If some of the companies produced a range at a different scale as well then I don't see thatbaana barrier. I am sure we all have armies in more than one scale and although the focus maybe on 15mm, that would not prevent a passing interest in other stuff. Even Peter Pig has items for salemthat are not 15mm as Leman points out.

As Stewart points out we went to Weymouth Comicon, yes people did express an interest, but the opinion seems to be in the club that because new members have not shown up as a result of two historical games at an event that whilst loosely connected was by no means a games show we should not go to that type of event again. To be honest I would have been surprised if anyone had come as a result. It was mostly families at the event. Yes it was good publicity and maybe gets out the word to people with children who are possibly getting to an age where they may go down the somewhat expensive main stream war games route, but that does not mean they will turn up in a few weeks time at the club. It may however get them thinking when someone at their school mentions they got a box of Space marines for Christmas. I think we would need to attend a good few of this type of event to have an impact as well as put on games at the local games store, maybenapproachnthe local Toymaster about supporting a game in store, get their wargaming staff involved etc. Maybe then it  will start to have an impact, in sales even if not at the local club. (I am not suggesting selling at the Toymaster, not that it would be a bad thing.) but they do have a big wargaing throughput of gamers who may only be aware of one or two types of wargame. Would they help? Don't know? But it cant hurt to ask can it?

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
Why 15mm?
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2018, 04:38:29 PM »
1. Because its the scale Peter Pig produce
2. I can play a game in an evening that looks like a battle and not a skirmish
3. I can paint them nicely without having to worry about buttons
4. The scenery is manageable and can look very nice
5. The periods I like are covered in the PP range
6. I stick to one scale so as to not need different sized trees, roads, hills etc
7. Although I'd like to refight Blenhiem I'd have to collect a different scale and there are too many armies I want in 15mm first
8. My friends in the south all play 15mm
9. Martin is a nice chap and I like to support his endeavours
10. I can collect both sides (or more than two in some cases!)
11. An army fits in a 2.5L Really Useful Box quite nicely
12. There's always another unit or army to collect or paint should I fancy a change
13. They are robust and rarely break or bend
14. Anything Martin doesn't produce I can find fairly easily elsewhere (Essex/Friekorps/Lancashire/Xyston)
15. I can take a game to my local club and only need 3 boxes usually (1 per army and 1 for the terrain)
16. I can paint them quickly
17. They don't cost too much

anyone anything to add?

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Why 15mm?
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2018, 06:05:42 PM »
18. Nice sculptures
19. Can be used for other rule sets instead off Peter Pig

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2018, 06:15:22 PM »
Thanks for the support.
There must be more.

Rittervonbek

• Supporter 2018
  • Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2018, 06:20:45 PM »
20. Fantastic painting results can be had with a few cheats and tips.  None of the multiple paint triads here thank you!.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
15mm promotion
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2018, 06:50:37 PM »
I do have many ideas that do not get to fruition. That is often because ideas are easy, but the time and money to put them into effect costs more.

So here are my first ideas  that includes thoughts given by forum members. Each is a thought, followed by a note.
1. Quarterly. So that enough time can be available. Better to set achievable goals. Keep the project achievable without inflicting stress on poor old martin.
2. Dated, but always available in perpetuity.  Shame to work hard and then it's gone. e.g.  "1/4 of 2019"
3. PDF so folk can read it online or even print it out.
4. Encourage other manufacturers to do self publicity articles. Make sure the articles are likeable.
5.A set of  reoccurring topic titles that can help structure the magazine and prompt input.
6. Keep it all under PP "control".  Stops bickering about purpose.
7. The magazine would not compete or overlap with the forum.
8. Overall mission i sto promote 15mm wargaming.

Some initial ideas for contribution prompts.
Each aspect could have some witty title such as "A battle report"  or "Conversions"

A. My Collection = any 15mm gamer recounts what is in his collection, how they came by it, what they most like  etc.  Given 20 prompt questions. I expect it would be forum members initially. Pictures would be nice.
B. Battle report= a vey common idea for publications but still very interesting.
C. What i painted=Details and pictures of a particular unit or force . How it was researched. What paint techniques. Basing. Characteristics in battle.
D. Conversions= head swaps and  using figures for non-intended purpose. This includes painting differently, chopping, swapping and other mods.
E. Scenery= making, painting converting. From the table  to the buildings, trees etc.
F. New products. New product that is specifically used for 15mm albeit originally intended for other sizes.
G. manufacturer profile. Details of a manufacturer who does 15mm stuff. They can pen it themselves, be visited or a neutral arms length review to which many might contribute.
H. Trivial stuff like   a recommended book, paint, accessory...
I. Visits= an article by someone who ha been somewhere and seen something.  Museum, re-enactment
J. Where is 15mm= Reports on which games are played using 15mm figures and where they were seen. Maybe with a single comment.
K.History of unit=the story of a gaming unit from inception through the wars etc.
L. Chat with a manufacturer about what they are working on in 15mm.
M. My table=  pictures and article about a person's 15mm gaming area.
N. Useful stuff such as discussion about 3D CAD, printers, tools, putties and other stuff related to creating figures, scenery, websites, flags and gaming aids.

This list is only a starting point to help folk write articles. To help contributors i would give each category about 17 prompt questions, if it helps them assemble their thoughts and make the task less daunting.
Articles can start at say 100 words and a picture. Rising to more words and more pictures. Maybe a whole page?  Because the magazine is intended to be useful, there is no need for pictures to be posed eye candy. Rather to show normal figures in use by the common man.
No paid advertising, but companies can put limited amount of stuff in for free.

Each edition about 10 pages. Downloadable from PP website and links given to other folk who want to be involved.

This is just a bunch of thoughts.  Comment??

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: 15mm promotion
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2018, 06:51:45 PM »
Good idea martin.  "The 15 Mill"

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2018, 07:02:28 PM »
Good idea Martin but you may get overloaded with articles, may be theme each edition to a period

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2018, 07:34:55 PM »
No good films tonight in Weymouth?

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Promoting 15mm
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2018, 08:12:03 PM »
This thread is promoting 15mm rather than a 15mm promotion?

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2018, 12:16:41 AM »
I used to really enjoy the Peter Pig newsletter that ran for 3 or 4 issues.

I would be happy to contribute 'news from the Midlands'

If the Viking campaign got off the ground it would make a good article.

A short write up on our game days would be nice.

This sounds good Martin, a really positive step.

Smiley Miley 66

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2018, 04:32:50 AM »
The PP figures are the best around at this scale.
My Team Yankee British is mainly US Marines converted (hairy helmets) to look like mid 80's British as they are sooo much better than FoW figures.