Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The 15 Mill  (Read 1659 times)

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Promote 15mm
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2018, 05:48:54 PM »
Simon the Weymouth group host and runs the WWW weekend which to me is far better than the Joy of Six. And is all about 15mm games usually with PP figures be it is not a requirement to just use PP models.

You play, not watch, around 7 games. If you have stuff to play with, bring it and use it someone else will have figures for the opponent. All the games are played using sets of RCFM rules.  If you speak up before hand you can play almost any rules set, some one will have the stuff for the games. All the games are played with good humour, and experienced players are there to help you. They may be playing a different game and ruleset but this all adds to the fun.

Having helped with shows in Bournemouth for many years the problem all the south coast clubs have in running events is that very few people attend from above the M4 corridor, and half the local area to draw attendees from is water.

The other attraction for the WWW event is that you are there to play, and you get to play games that you may not have the play and you get to try out some of the RCFM rule sets that may interest you but have not played so are unsure if it is a period you want to get into.

Martin also spends a lot of time travelling and playing games with the clubs locally to Weymouth and with the stall at a number of war game shows in the UK, Europe and the US.

Duncan

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2018, 07:48:58 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/SSQezine/

Above link to a small scale quarterly e-zine on facebook, that one chap in the 15mm Fantasy thread gave me a link for it. Seems to deal mainly with smaller scale stuff.
Maybe something li,e this could be done? Not sure if anyone has the knowledge to do it?

People have also suggested doing a YouTube channel with game reports etc. Basically the stuff that bigger 28mm purveyors get up to. I know not all of us are keen to appear in o line videos though.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2018, 08:01:25 PM »
Interesting. Thanks for giving the link.

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2018, 10:14:43 PM »
Les

The Joy of 6 is really a typical wargames show with traders and demo games but with the emphasis on 6mm. Although organised by Baccus, other 6mm manufacturers are invited and all the demo games are 6mm. So it's a very different proposition to WWW.

Now the WWW is for me the best weekends gaming of the year but it is based purely around playing games and not a trade weekend (other than preorders we put in with Martin). Whether a 15mm only show is viable is questionable in my opinion but maybe worth investigating. Joy of 6 does really well but is located fairly central (in Sheffield) allowing punters to travel from all corners of the kingdom relatively easily from the M1. As you say the south coast has to rely on people travelling down from the north with motorway access not always easy.

I am planning a games day at Entoyment and I think in the short term this is something that is relatively easy to do and serves two purposes. It allows us all to get together and play some games and also shows off whatever game we are playing. Whether or not this has any impact on sales for Peter Pig I have no idea but can't hurt!

As everyone here knows, Peter Pig provide all I need for my historical gaming. It covers all the periods I am interested in, and provides a game that looks good that can be played to a finish within a couple of hours. These are the USP's for RFCM and what I try to promote whenever I talk about or demonstrate the games.

Maybe I should make more effort to put on demo games at local shows here in the Midlands?

Duncan

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2018, 12:12:27 AM »
Part of the problem with 15mm is getting the message out and hitting the right target audience.

For example, this morning I posted about this thread over on the 15mm Fantasy thread on facebook and already within 12hrs it has got 60 actual written replies and well over 70 likes. That is around 8 times the amount of response the topic has got on the RFCM forum.

I posted a link to this forum as people were asking what it was as they had never heard of this forum.

So part of the issue is exposure and maybe having a vibrant presence where the people are you wish to attract in.

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2018, 07:48:41 AM »
There is a line of thinking that forums are now pretty much considered antiquated, particularly for the millennial (or close to it) generation. Social media has taken over with its almost instant gratification. As you have evidenced Duncan, messages in Facebook are seen by a far wider audience far sooner than on traditional forums.

Back in the day the old Yahoo Group would have hundreds of messages per month, over a 1000 on occasion. We probably average not much than 100 with some days only one or two messages being posted.

That's not to say this forum is dead or not serving a purpose. I really enjoy coming here and sharing ideas as well as keep it in touch with my friends in the south. But how attractive the forum is to the younger gemeration or the wider Wargaming community I can't say. I did start a Peter Pig appreciation page on Facebook and Miles has a page too. But not everyone of our generation engages with Facebook or social media in general.

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2018, 08:02:45 AM »
I'm no mathematician but with over 11000 posts during the 28 month lifespan of this forum, we average over 400 posts per month! So my estimate was out. And looking back at the old Yahoo Group I clearly had rose tinted spectacles. On one occasion there were over 1000 messages but 200-400 posts seems the norm. So we're not doing too bad on post count.

I think more interesting is the fact that the majority of the 219 members do not post anything. Engaging the silent majority might be a start 😁

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2018, 08:09:00 AM »
39% of members have yet to create a single post on this forum.

Only 7% of members have created 100+ posts.

A further 38% of members have created less than 10 posts.

Most telling of all....4 members have created over 52% of all the posts on this forum. 

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2018, 08:59:42 AM »
I have a facebook page, but have not used it for about four years. I find face book a jumbled mess to look at and have never been able to work out how to use it. Likewise with twitter. I havenít used that for about four years as it doesnít really make any sense to me - as well as being full of half-baked rants and poorly phrased, misspelt, grammatically incorrect English. Forums on the other hand usually present material in a simple, easy to read format, and, apart from the number of times I have had to relearn how to post photos, are easy to navigate. Blogs and vlogs are not too bad either, but god preserve us from, ďHi everyone, Iím in (insert appalling fast food joint of choice) eating this (insert photo of equally appalling fat and sugar laden rubbish) - woohoo!!!"

Duncan

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2018, 10:04:33 AM »
I think the answer to that though is to have something themed and possibly by invite only so you do not get a load of spam. It could still be viewed by others but you would have to be invited to join to post.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2018, 10:23:17 AM »
Good statistics Sean. See you are a mathematician!  Although it has been said "there are lies, then there are damned lies and then there are statistics!"

Despite all my enthusiasm for 15mm gaming i do appreciate that you can only lead a horse to water.

I expect that anyone who enjoys games might well be interested in 15mm, should they experience it. 

Here are some broad generalities...sorry.
15mm tends (?) to be used in games which use units, battle plans, limited game length, unit reaction/morale and historical boundaries. I like to make a battle plan and see how it goes. I expect the game to throw "hiccups" to my plan and show my skill by dealing with those hiccups. . I do not like the  game changing reveals  e.g.  "all opponent units test to mutiny, due to the heart of darkness curse".

I don't like it when my plan can quickly be countered by the other army taking a sudden "jump to the right".

Many of the smaller figure number 28mm games require reactions to significant random events(cards) and reaction to each opponent move, allowing instant change to any battle plan. If i only have 25 figures and they can freely get to anywhere they like, then a plan is not needed. I just choose the best stuff and react to the other player, turn by turn. Then throw in a couple of reveals at the right time.
Just line the figures up at each side of the table, with scenery evenly spaced out. Then just go for it! Last man standing! Maybe have a blue flag scenario "whoever has a figure in the pub at game end wins".

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2018, 10:25:13 AM »
With Leman on that one.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2018, 10:30:55 AM »
Sean, thanks for the statistics - I'd not looked for a while.

It could well be that a good portion of "the silent majority" is actually quite happy to watch the goings-on here. I'm conscious that the more prolific posters all know each other or are at least linked to this network through people they have met (well they do now, and the Forum has been instrumental in making some of those introductions, which must be a good thing).

The downside of this could well be that this Forum and much of the banter on it feels "clubby", in an exclusive sense, to others outside of it. I certainly felt an outsider in the old Yahoo group and, while I'd read it regularly, hardly ever posted anything and didn't dare ask questions as I feared they might be seen as silly by those more experienced RFCM folks.

I'm therefore wondering whether others are similarly "lurking" and getting some kind of value from this Forum but either don't feel the need to post anything themselves or would feel awkward to do so.

So, I'd like to make an open request to anyone reading this in that position: do please answer this post and give us your thoughts: and there isn't such a thing as a bad or stupid question!

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2018, 11:06:18 AM »
Despite all my enthusiasm for 15mm gaming i do appreciate that you can only lead a horse to water.

I agree with this, Martin, and 6mm / 10mm / 15mm / 28mm / 54mm are not mutually exclusive.

But I think Duncan's point is important: if people (non-gamers) don't know 15mm is an option, then they're not going to choose it as an entry to the hobby.

So one dimension here must be raising awareness of 15mm existence, and then describing how it can work well for certain types of game.

Duncan

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2018, 01:22:24 PM »
One thing that has been suggested on the facebook forum which may help, although I don't know how to do it as I do not have the contacts, is for numerous 15mm manufacturers (of all types, regardless of if historical, fantasy, sci-fi and so on.) to get together and set up an online hub somewhere so that it could act as a central forum or place for photo gallery etc but also then link to their individual forums and websites. That way anyone landi g on it would automatically have links to every other manufacturer and access to a larger group of people for ideas etc.