Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I can see!!  (Read 790 times)

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
I can see!!
« on: July 25, 2016, 11:35:25 PM »
So having struggled for a while to make out detail on my figures when painting them I now own reading glasses. It's been a revelation.

On top of this the daylight lamp I have had for a few years has a magnifying lens on it which when I view the figures through I can see so much more detail on the figures.  I can now paint straps and belts with confidence  again without guessing where they are!

Had a great day painting today. I've got a couple of days home alone to come. Hopefully I'll get a fair bit more done and post up some pictures.  I'm intending to make some more headway on my Somme battlefield too.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: I can see!!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 08:06:03 AM »
I had a similar revelation with a magnifying daylight lamp a few years back - wonderful things.

Also, they don't get hot like many other lamps.

I had further reduction in errors with decent brushes [Winsor & Newton Series 7 - not that much more expensive than the sables I was buying previously, but W&N have a longer point and fuller brush, and last much longer] and proper brush soap (that removes all paint residue and keeps the bristles conditioned).

It's amazing how much better you can paint when you can see properly...

A word of warning: avoid viewing any previously-painted figures under the same conditions: "arms-length" is good enough!

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 09:01:47 AM »
 ;D

That tickled me Colonel, good advice.

It has allowed me to do faces again which is great....similar to the style that Lurkio has done on his WW1. Probably not on rank and file but on officers, vignettes  etc.

Leman

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 07:42:44 AM »
I had the same revelation about 10 years ago, and I am now into my second pair of prescription reading glasses. No way I could even paint 15mm, let alone 3mm, without them.