Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: [Minairons] Preview on a new ship  (Read 232 times)

Lluis of Minairons

• Piglet
    • View Profile
[Minairons] Preview on a new ship
« on: October 08, 2018, 04:54:08 PM »

I'm happy to show our upcoming 1:600 scale Ship of the Line, work on whose ultimate desig is over now. Loosely based on the plans of an early 18th century Russian real ship, this new model can stand on tabletop as a 3rd or even a 2nd rate man-of-war --so being ideal for War of Spanish Succession, GNW, Turco-Venetian Wars naval gaming, or golden age of piracy settings in the 'Pieces of Eight' style too.

In the next weeks we're going to 3d-print the design and start prototyping a master model --a job to include levelling it down to waterline, of course  ;)
Talking in piggy terms, to help figure out the size the real thing will have, this new model will be only slightly smaller than Martin's Indiaman --i. e. around 8,5cm long.
Here below you have it depicted together with our (actually large) Treasury Galleon.

Hope you like it!
Lluís
www.minairons.eu

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: [Minairons] Preview on a new ship
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 05:43:52 PM »
Ooh - very nice!

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 06:11:35 PM »
Looks very nice, now in 1/450 scale to match my PIRATE SHIPS WOULD BE VERY NICE.

Lluis of Minairons

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 06:26:44 PM »
No need to re-scale, they will match for sure despite the stated scales difference. You'll see  :)

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 08:20:46 PM »
As your intending to 3D print the model must be in a CAD file that is scaleless.

So can the ships be printed at 1/450?

As the model is a CAD file why not just print above the water line?

The images below do look really good!

Lluis of Minairons

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 09:43:20 PM »
As your intending to 3D print the model must be in a CAD file that is scaleless. So can the ships be printed at 1/450?

True. But in my humble opinion the differences between 1/450 and 1/600 scales can be easily obviated. My 1/600 3rd rate ship will be 8.5cm long (a bit smaller than Martin's Indiaman), while at 1/450 it would be 11cm long (slightly larger than the forementioned Indiaman). So why worrying about it (humble opinion)?

As the model is a CAD file why not just print above the water line?

Well, it's a bit difficult to explain to me, for I'm not the man using the CAD software. For what he explained to me time ago, it's easier for him to work out the full ship first (with all these organic keel curves extending from bow to stern with no interruptions), and later cut the printed prototype mechanically to waterline.

Apologies for not being capable to get better explained  :(

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 08:25:02 PM »
Thanks Luis, I do understand the computer modelling, I think your modeler may be confusing you. After the model is built you just place a plane, solid rectangle across the model and just print above the plane.

I agree the scale thing is unimportant.

When are these likely to be in production?

Lluis of Minairons

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 09:36:31 PM »
Thanks Luis, I do understand the computer modelling, I think your modeler may be confusing you. After the model is built you just place a plane, solid rectangle across the model and just print above the plane.

Uh... perhaps I misunderstood my designer and mistakingly took for granted the cutting operation was mechanical.
As a matter of fact, it seems quite likely that he's actually 'digitally' cutting to waterline the modeled ship, rather than 'mechanically' working on the printed prototype.
So perhaps you're right.

When are these likely to be in production?

Hopefully around Christmas (cross fingers please).

Smiley Miley 66

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 02:45:44 PM »
Wow 66 gun ship looks great. A 30 -40 gun ship would be better suited to the POE game ? If you could find a design ?

Lluis of Minairons

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 03:16:14 PM »
66 guns, or even 70 if conveniently fitted with chase guns at bow and stern  ;)

Yes I had in mind to produce a 30-40 guns frigate sooner or later; however, considering that such role can already be successfully performed by Martin's own large warship, I was giving lesser priority to it than to models ever made by other brands before --such as xebecs and polacres, for instance.

Besides, the guys behind the Oak & Iron crowdfunding project seemingly have a 4th rate planned as well; so maybe double reasons not to get into a so obvious concurrence, but to assign priority to gaps covering and by this to widen the global offer to users?

I would show you now what I have in pipeline (http://www.minairons.eu/cms.php?id_cms=4), but my www.minairons.eu website is under a permanent state of siege these weeks, because some kind of brainless hacker is continually launching denial-of-service attacks against it, so provoking its server to go down once and once again --so that perhaps you wouldn't see nothing there at all for some days.

I swear, if I wasn't so needed of the few bucks this business provides, I'd have long given up   :'(

Smiley Miley 66

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 05:36:18 PM »
Can't you put up another site under an assumed name or through someone else's website ?
Must admit i can't wait until our Weymouth Weekender, as i can actually learn to play the game. Might have some of my ships ready by then.

Lluis of Minairons

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 11:14:39 AM »
Can't you put up another site under an assumed name or through someone else's website ?

Website apparently recovered now (cross fingers!)