Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Peter Pig royal visit to Southampton club  (Read 168 times)

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Peter Pig royal visit to Southampton club
« on: September 09, 2018, 02:15:07 PM »
i went over to the Southampton club "Wessex Wargames Society" at ehe Invitation of John. Thank you John. We played 2 full games of WESTERN including the pre-game and guesses etc.  We got the two games completed easily within the wargames day.  First game was cavalry versus plains Indians. The cavalry won.  The second game was  a Mexican versus cattlemen affair. The Mexicans got slaughtered. A very good game with all players grasping the rules quickly and easily due to their long acquaintance with the hobby.

A short review of the Wessex club...marvellous. If it were closer it would be a club that I would attend every week. The hall for the meetings is voluminous and well equipped with tables and chairs. Here are the games being played to the best of my memory. If i have hot it wrong, sorry but it does give an illustration of how things were found. Multi player = more than 4.

1. Big 1/35th WW2 snow game. Very visual.
2. Ancients using FOG 15mm. Biblical.
3. Renaissance English versus French 15mm
4. Sci fi industrial fire fights 25mm
5.  AWI campaign game 15mm (multi player)
6.  WW2 1/200th . Very big battle (very multi player)
7. Peter Pig Western 15mm. A brilliant game
Plus a couple of other games I was too slow to note down. Whoops.

Plenty of free parking, easy to navigate to , Tuck shop and good value fees.

So , a very friendly club enjoying a golden age of gaming!
Well done Wessex club.
I would love to return and fight again (with little soldiers of course).

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Pig royal visit to Southampton club
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 03:35:24 PM »
That's wonderful news, Martin. Nice to hear how folk could so rapidly both pick up and enjoy Western.

Also to hear about such a vibrant club - well done, you Wessex chaps!

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 03:37:13 PM »
Good club with some history.

Used to go when they were in the Millbrook Community Centre, made some good friends, I still see some old members occasionally.

Good to hear the journey was worthwhile and you enjoyed your games. Hope you could remember the rules.

Well done the Wessex club.

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 06:01:57 PM »
Wasn't that the group founded by Donald Featherstone  and had Neville Dickinson (Minifigs)  as a member ?

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 06:23:49 PM »
Think you are correct Sean. They are both sinners though!

Duncan

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 07:45:18 PM »
So did you get any tips for encouraging any new members to come to our own club?

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 08:23:26 PM »
Yes Duncan. I think mass creates mass. When there are 10 or more gamers another 10 will appear. These later 10 are those who are a bit shy about being counted. In these days of internet based life, people are often less confident about meeting new groups of people.  The only new group many of them have met in the last 7 years would be if they changed job.   
At Dorchester there were only about 7 people for months. Another 6 people attended just one meeting, got a bit self conscious and never returned.   Then the numbers almost doubled. These newer members are those that enjoy their gaming but would rather have other people around them for safety in numbers purposes.
At Entoyment i now see gamers who have not attended clubs for years, but now appear because of the numbers of gamers that now attend the shop.   
Wargamers often come in bunches too, a la bananas. Thus a new chap might bring 2 friends with him.

This would mean that if 4 more players came to the levellers, another 7 would soon join.

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 01:26:59 PM »
Seems to work that way. I went down the Liverpool club for a day shift game. One of the regular evening gamers had turned up with a new player. We welcomed them to the day shift with a double scotch.

Big Mike

• Wild Boar
  • "Bring up the PIAT!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 10:14:40 PM »
Great to hear these accounts of the wargaming hobby being on the up. Recent reports of it's demise were exaggerated. ( sorry Mr Twain). Martin continues to spread the word with his travels throughout the civilised world.