Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Peter Jackson's "They Shall Not Grow Old" - Tuesday 16th October  (Read 664 times)

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Peter Jackson's "They Shall Not Grow Old" - Tuesday 16th October
« on: September 01, 2018, 09:15:10 AM »
I received an email last week from the Imperial War Museums with the following content:

"
They Shall Not Grow Old - coming to a cinema near you.

"I wanted to reach through the fog of time and pull these men into the modern world, so they can regain their humanity once more...

...By using our computing power to erase the technical limitations of 100 year cinema, we can see and hear the Great War as they experienced it.”

Presenting his new work, They Shall Not Grow Old, to mark the centenary of the First World War, the internationally renowned director Peter Jackson (The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings) combines his personal fascination with the period and his Academy Award-winning directorial skills to bring the First World War to life in a way never before seen. Footage has been colourised, converted to 3D and transformed with modern production techniques.

The First World War proved to be a landmark in cinema history – the first time that the horrors of war could be caught on camera. Many hours of dramatic footage were filmed on the battlefields, capturing the realities of the conflict in remarkable and unprecedented detail.

The film will be simultaneously screened across the UK, including a special post screening Q&A with Peter Jackson, hosted by film critic Mark Kermode.
"

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Jackson's "They Shall Not Grow Old" - Tuesday 16th October
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 09:16:54 AM »
Booking information is available here:

https://www.iwm.org.uk/events/peter-jackson-they-shall-not-grow-old?utm_source=IWM&utm_campaign=6229408d54-2018_8_29_Peter+Jackson+Announcement&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f618c86a94-6229408d54-106301493

"
Peter Jackson, best known for directing The Lord of the Rings trilogy, has created a new film using original footage from Imperial War Museums’ extensive archive, much of it previously unseen, alongside BBC and IWM interviews with servicemen who fought in the conflict. Footage has been colourised, converted to 3D and transformed with modern production techniques to present never before seen detail. They Shall Not Grow Old will be given its World Premiere as the Special Presentation at the BFI London Film Festival on 16 October. The film will be simultaneously screened in 2D and 3D to cinemas, schools and special venues across the UK and later broadcast on BBC One. Attended by the director Peter Jackson, the simulcast will include a special post screening Q&A with Jackson, hosted by film critic Mark Kermode.

The First World War proved to be a landmark in cinema history – the first time that the horrors of war could be caught on camera. Many hours of dramatic footage were filmed on the battlefields, capturing the realities of the conflict in remarkable and unprecedented detail. This footage provided the public at home with astonishing access to the frontline: The Battle of the Somme, a documentary film produced with the cooperation of the War Office, was seen by an estimated 20 million Britons in its first six weeks of release.

Co-commissioned by 14-18 NOW and Imperial War Museums in association with the BBC. Produced by WingNut Films and Executive Produced by House Productions. Supported by the National Lottery through the Heritage Lottery Fund, the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport."

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 09:20:24 AM »
While you can look up your favourite cinema here:

https://www.theyshallnotgrowold.film/?campaign=IWM

(it's apparently showing at Cineworld, for you Weymouth denizens).

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 09:27:38 AM »
Finally, to whet your appetite, here's Peter Jackson himself giving a brief [<3 minutes] overview of the making of the film, which turns grainy, sped-up black and white footage into "high-definition" coloured images and - combined with the content of several hundred hours' interviews with veterans - focuses on the human experiences in what Mr Jackson says will give "surprising insights" into life on the front line one hundred years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=vn6HrP_LTu8&utm_source=IWM&utm_campaign=6229408d54-2018_8_29_Peter+Jackson+Announcement&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f618c86a94-6229408d54-106301493

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 09:38:10 AM »
Think i will watch that one. Thanks for the info!

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 11:42:47 AM »
Interesting watch, sounds like it will be an interesting film.

Also watched this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z1HzjrffZo

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 03:47:02 AM »
Just found out that there is a local showing of this on the 16th. Think I'll pop along.

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 01:24:17 PM »
Thanks for the info Simon. Might well give that a go at Southport Vue on the 16th.

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2018, 02:15:37 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Simon, just booked my seat for The Tuesday night

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2018, 07:08:22 PM »
I am intending to go. My local cinema lists one of the showings as 3D. Surely not?

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2018, 08:29:20 PM »
You'll find 3D confusing, go for a cinema with a big screen and therefore a big picture!!!

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2018, 09:12:12 PM »
It seems Weymouth is only showing it in 3D

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2018, 09:34:37 PM »
It seems Weymouth is only showing it in 3D

If you close one eye, does it revert back to 2D?

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2018, 09:00:27 AM »
Don't know.  I think I would be best to wait until it is on DVD. Assuming it will go on to DVD??  It wold annoy me to go along and not be able to appreciate what is going on.
If anyone goes, do give some report on it. that would be very helpful.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2018, 09:03:48 AM »
Likewise, I'd be interested to hear any feedback.

I wasn't planning to go due to work commitments. Having unexpectedly got some time back this afternoon, I tried to book a seat but all the local cinemas are sold out :(