Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Second game Friday 10/08/2018.  (Read 366 times)

Duncan

Second game Friday 10/08/2018.
« on: August 11, 2018, 09:21:27 PM »
In this game I rolled to be defender with just four dice allocated. We got that easily as Rob and Mike rolled ten to attack so worked out for both parties. They had extra wind dice for having been the defender last time.

As the defender we had three medium merchants and one small merchant with a battle hardened small warship. Again I tried to increase the fleet inbthecset up to get another small warship, but failed to do so. Chris and myself were running a British fleet in this game.

The attacker had four small warships, two able and two battle hardened. They were using the trick of unknown loyalty whereas we used the extra armament and crew one.

The wind was heading down table, the attacker tried to counter this as it was in our favour, but we managed to counter this.  Their unknown loyalty ship flying a Dutch flag was sneaking at the rear of our fleet. I would have blasted it anyway as we did not recognise it but I was not allowed to do that in the rules.

The initial engagementvas it happened was with the Dutchman when it came within range of one hex and we gave it some Stern chasers as warning shots to back off, before it showed its true colours and tried to grapple and board the Jeffertale. She was unfortunately shot to bits and struck but not boarded. I briefly thought about putting crew on her from the Jante Morralle (our warship.) But decided I could not afford the delay. Which was just as well as the Dutchman tried to pull the same trick with an autograpple on the Wrath of Asar, one of our medium merchants. They used the autograpple which came with the unknown loyalty trick. As they came in though the Wrath of Asar blasted them taking a couple of hits bringing the crew down and although grappled the merchant man actually won the fight and escaped. But as grappled both had to miss ago.

Then there was an exchange of fire between three small warships, the defenders Jante Morralle and the attackers Daisy and poppy. To be honest they took bits off but not much else happened and none of the shooting was conclusive just whittling down capabilities all around.

Sword tried and succeeded to grapple the merchant Lady Alil, the usual shooting took place but the defenders used their trick and managed to get extra crew and guns so was not the easy push over it appeared at first. That contract transporting Marines to the colonies is certainly  paying off. The attack thwarted.

Both the Daisy and the Poppy shot at the poor Jessica (another merchant man.) Then the Poppy tried to grapple and did, this time the attack was successful and in the subsequent turn the attackers got some sails up on the Jessica in recovery and managed to sail off with her before the Jante Morralle could respond.

Having said that she along with the extra guns on the Lady Alil punished the attackers little warships taking every sail, crew and gun marker off the Sword, the warship did the sane to the Daisy with raking fire. Annoyingly all the death rolls failed!

The merchant man the Lady Alil made her escape in the next turn and the final attacking warship the Poppy tried to intercept the Wrath of Asar as she made for the exit in the final turn but failed despite depleting her markers she escaped off the corner. The final blow of the game saw the defenders warship the Jante Morralle rake the hapless Poppy in an attempt to sink her but despite scoring hits the death rolls were pretty ineffective, but the ship was at least struck.

The result was a fairly big win for the defender as we got two medium merchants off and struck one of the attackers warships. The other merchants, one was captured but the other one despite being struck was never boarded by the attacker. It felt more like a draw whilst fighting it though as the shooting got very bloody on both sides requiring a lot of recovery which was not always successful. Also the wind was negated a lot in this game the attackers wind change dice being used up quite quickly and as defenders with the wind in our rear quarter for most of the game we did not need to change it.

I felt this game was a lot better fight wise as things were manovering around each other in the general direction of the required table edge. Interestingly though  in both games tonight the battle clock, timer was up or almost up as the merchānts escaped.

We need markers to indicated the exit hex. As I said I think some headland hexs would be good for this. I will see what I can find/make.

Another thing that came up was the number of ships you can have in a hex at any one time. I thought it was settled on two but at one point we had four which was way too many. This was down mainly to ships grappling, failing fights etc, then missing a turn whilst another ship comes in the grapple from the other side and so on. Very messy, needs sorting. I suggest that any more than two are in adjoining Hexs but still able to attack, grapple from there if in this situation. Or else there is going to be one he'll off a tangled rigging which with hindsight did we forget about in our games tonight, I can't recall?

Shooting in and out of multiple occupancy hex with bow and stern chasers is also something Martin saidvhevwas going to look at.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Second game Friday 10/08/2018.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 09:36:56 AM »
Very useful narrative Duncan. Gives insight for readers. Keep it coming. re you going to picture the excellent dice towers you made?

Duncan

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 10:08:59 AM »
I can do, I thought about making a couple more and doing photos of the bits before putting it all together, then the final thing.

Have you used your one since?

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 02:33:59 PM »
Had no other games yet. But thanks for making it Duncan.  Most kind.

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 03:49:20 PM »
Is Duncan not going to any video of his games?

Duncan

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 06:43:38 PM »
Maybe Conny could do a short video at some point, but not a whole game. Perhaps just a turn or so?