Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The high street?  (Read 137 times)

Duncan

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
The high street?
« on: August 12, 2018, 04:30:23 PM »
There has been a lot of discussion recently with shops going out of business and closing down in the town (Weymouth, but I presume other towns as well.) about the High Street and whybitbis failing. One of the main things that is blamed is online shopping, another pafking charges.

I was just wondering your thoughts? For me I almost never shop for things on the High Street anymore. When I go to town I usually pop to the shop and then go to a cafe and wait for my wife who is also nowhere near as long as she used to be.

The reason I don't shop in real shops for the most part is that they never have anything I want to buy. Out of all of my hobbies not one shop in Weymouth stocks much I want. My main hobby being wargaming in 15mm, even the shops that do cater for WARGAMERS stock nothing beyond FOW in that scale, the other thing I may buy is small scale naval ships, but again nothing. I have queried this and am told that although people ask for it, suppliers won't  stock it so they cannot get it unless they buy it online for the same price we can anyway.

The same in our local toy store. When I was growing up you could get metal wargaming figures from at least three manufacturers in the ordinary toy store, now all they stock is the latest release from GW. I have asked about X Wing and a few other popular games, but the suppliers don't  stock it so they cannot get it.

The same with my other hobbies, try getting something specific for a model railway, especially in 'N' gauge, or something I felt sure they would have, the latest 2018 release of Monster High dolls, not one! How about the ginger cat family for the Silvia Families (for the wife as one of our cats is ginger.) not a chance, can they get it? No, they can only get what the suppler will send them.

Try to get some clothes, now admittedly I am big, but nowhere in town stocks larger sizes in shoes. You want a size 15 shoe, well you have to go to a shop that does workwear where you may get a work boot, but if you want it in a 8E width fitting, well not a hope.

Now for parking I am better off than most admittedly, being a cripple I have a blue badge and can park in bays designated for us. But even that, over the last few years the number of bays designated for cripples have almost halved in the town center for some reason and all the normal car parks that admittedly do have some are on the outskirts of the town where it is too far for me to walk.

So from my perspective at least if the High Street wants to thrive it should sell things that people actually want to buy!

Any other thoughts on the High Street. Business rates, rent etc, i don't know much about them but am guessing they are not helping?

Mike Tanner

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: The high street?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 05:01:38 PM »
The deliberate destruction of the local high street is all part of globalization, Duncan. I see a similar thing happening where I live in Germany. Back in the 80s it was possible to buy almost anything one wanted from the high street in Minden. These days when I return to that town and walk those same streets all I see apart from C&A are telephone shops and coffee joints. It is a terrible shame but hardly surprising because politicians across the length and breadth of Europe are totally corrupt and in the pockets of the multinationals.

As an example Amazon made over 2 Billion from the UK last year but paid only 1.7 million in tax if the Daily Mail is to be believed.

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 05:50:04 PM »
I love coffee and hate shopping. Bring it on! Incidentally there never were very many wargame shops so that was something always done by mail order or at the shows. Why not take those empty shops and turn them into low cost housing for the homeless, who seem to be mainly denizens of the high street anyway.

Duncan

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 09:24:11 PM »
The toy shop in town used to be much more wargamers, model railway and general model orientated before it was absorbed into the Toymaster conglomeration and since then it has really gone downhilll and stocks practically nothing. This seems to be the general way that all stores are going atnleast ones that are big chains which are most of them nowadays.
Yes I like coffee as well. At least 15 cups a day!😊

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 09:56:10 PM »
I bet it is well stocked, but with the plastic rubbish that seems to appeal to today’s under 10s.

Duncan

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 02:21:31 PM »
Yes, it is well stocked with Mon that you Poke, silly putty, spinners, football cards and the like, seems to be big on jigsaw puzzles for some reason? Nothing much of interest though. It is a real pity how shops have declined over the years. I don't even mind paying a pound or two extra for a purchase to support a local business if it is a shop I use, but they have to have the stuff available in the first place or it is no use.