Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PBI game on Sunday  (Read 188 times)

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
PBI game on Sunday
« on: August 05, 2018, 07:29:43 PM »
Miles and I played PBI on Sunday 5h august at the new Entoyment battle hobby shop. It seems to be an excellent venue. Table hire is 5 per table, regardless of number of players.  There was also a SAGA competition in attendance which seemed to be going well too. the staff at the shop were great, in terms of friendliness and helpfulness.

Our PBI game was US airborne v British Northern African 1943 (?).

Initial recce gave US 5 recce points and Brits 2. 3 point difference. Grabbed the advantage whilst it was still warm (not hot)
Scenery  was quite busy. 5 buildings, 5 woods and 2 hills. Miles set his buildings up in a length wise defence along a row 3 road.martin cleverly set up the mass of woods in contact with the buildings to minimise open ground travel. This allowed the veteran paras to get in close. In PBI scenery is an important tactical consideration that is used to advantage by experienced players. Good commanders use the terrain. Both of us were experienced so no basic mistakes with terrain usage. Newer players can get caught out by not planning their scenery layout. Historical and authentic.

This of course compromised the tank shooting but cover was more important to the paras than support from the late TDs.

The British had 4 infantry units and a group of churchills. All average quality. The US had two platoons (vet) and 4 M10 tank destroyers.
The US were attacking.
Due to some poor/good D6 rolls the brits only got q platoon and and engineer unit on table. The US started the game with 2 vet platoons of paras.  The US rolled good AP and got over the table fast. Objective 1 was stormed and taken straight away. The British toured and left objective 2 empty. Only 6 brit foot bases on the table. With presence of mind, the brits quickly took over the empty objective and made it a vital point. Thus it was going to be a hard target to take for the US. The Us stumble now. A US assault upon a flame-thrower with chums got burned badly and this smashed the US platoon. Flame-throwers are good.The US platoon went to ground and was removed from the game. Luckily the first attacker platoon to rout comes back. Several squares of US paratroopers made a run from various flamethrowers.
US tank destroyers arrived next and drove straight onto the partial crossroads objective. Thus denying it to both sides for victory points.
The game was short ,at about 5 turns. This meant the British did arrive in force, but just for that last turn (excellent). Hit by US smoke they had run  out of time.

The US won because the game was short, thus British reinforcements  struggled to get into action soon enough.  The on table US held one objective and sat on another with tanks.
The British assets were vital point(very useful), tank hunters ( good but unluckily got machine gunned) and HE (did not arrive?)
The US assets were smoke ( stopped brits seeing the US in last turn), HE (pinned down brits in turn 1) and flank 3 ( no effect at all).

Same force again could go either way. martin's M10 tank destroyers with black crew were widely praised by passers by (i made that up) .  BARs are cheap but not that useful in normal firefights. If you see a flamethrower just shoot it. Do not engage it.Try to roll lots of 6's (good tactic).

Victory points i think were 22 to 40. I would have taken some picture but got over excited at the game play.
I shall play PBI again, if anyone thins they are hard enough.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: PBI game on Sunday
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 08:10:42 PM »
Thanks for the write-up (and the tactical tips) - sounds like a great game.

Albeit this particular line-up was one I must have missed in my history classes.  :)

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 09:58:23 PM »
It was all an exercise in Scotland 1944. Right proper it was guv. The umpires stepped in too soon for green force.

Peterloo

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 09:47:05 AM »
sounds like a good game, major blue on blue -
- we have thought the flank option is a bit over powerful - especially when some armies get 8dice! , we play it each 6 flanks a unit (opponents choice) , not all the-inforcements. it gives the defender with 4 units off a bit more of a chance.

Peterloo

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 11:15:27 AM »
The defender is pretty well stuffed if they don't hold 2 objectives, and even then 1 attacker objective taken can win you the game as it equals the two defender objectives.

it's tough being the defender.

Small note - American Para didn't have BARs.

Peterloo

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 08:56:14 AM »
you noted the game was short , it can be as little as 4 turns or as many as 21 turns (you don't know how many 1s I can roll in a game)
To even it out we play it , re-roll any 1 or 6 for time dice. - and that's the result , so you still get 1 and 6 for time points just less often. - games tend to last 6-8 turns which gives enough time to give both sides a chance.