Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New range of generals  (Read 287 times)

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
New range of generals
« on: August 02, 2018, 05:11:50 AM »
ACW 15mm has cit across the bows of the mountain tribes. This will delay the mountain tribes (Vietnam), but not for long I hope.

There will be named generals for the ACW range.
Each will be in a pack of ADC, standard bearer and the named general.  All one piece. All mounted.

Forst release are all confederate.
Stonewall Jackson
Robert E Lee
JEB Stuart
Hood

Then  two more before a halt.
Trouble is , this will open the floodgates of other generals that need doing.
A lot of generals did look similar due to clothing and beards though!

After the 6 rebel ones there will be 6 union ones (sorry  the names have already bee chosen).

Also there are two new packs of ACW gun crew. Both walking (a first in 15mm ACW ??)
Then there are the limbers that should be finished soon.More anon.

Radar

• Supporter 2018
  • Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
    • Keep Your Powder Dry
Re: New range of generals
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 07:39:28 AM »
At the risk of helping to push on the floodgates.... dare I say ECW too? Please and thank you. Or at least another pack of generic generals?

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 07:48:02 AM »
Also at risk of more floodgates, please do some western theatre chaps - I really enjoy playing the western theatre - a couple of Johnstons and a Bragg would not go amiss.

Incidentally, I began building my ACW armies in 15mm decades ago and settled on (infantry) three figures on a 30x20 base. When i use CWB every base becomes a half base and the units look great double ranked.

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 06:50:26 PM »
You must have been up at silly a clock getting this information out.

sjwalker51

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 05:55:39 PM »
Now I know PP is a labour of love, when you think how many pack sales are probably needed to break even!

Inevitably, we’ll only buy one of each pack, and you’ll also be bombarded by requests for you to sell the first 4 Generals in a single pack, with 2ea of the ADC and Standard Bearer in a separate pack, mark my words.

Having said that, I’d definitely buy ECW Generals, but I’d much rather throw money at you in much larger quantities for WW1 Range extensions covering Africa and the Arab Revolt, Mexican Revolution etc.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 08:05:53 AM »
Hello Simon
You may well be right.
The ACW market is very big indeed.  I am thinking that gamers will base the general along with their own standard etc. The generals won't be available separately. ACW to ECW sales is about 6:1.
The more completeness in a range will/should encourage greater confidence in buyers.

The ECW generals may well happen. Once again they would follow the general +2 format.

I am keen to get back to the mountain tribes!

sjwalker51

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 06:04:29 PM »
That’s really interesting - ECW has always been a bit of a niche period, but maybe the release of new rules such as TtS ‘For King and Parliament’ will have a positive effect on sales of quality 15mm ranges, in much the same way that the impending release of TFL’s Chain of Command supplement for 1940 is predicted to renew interest in Early War WW2 stuff.

PP has always been good at covering niche periods in much more depth than any others - I’d include WOTR, AWI and Vietnam alongside ECW in that category and wouldn’t be surprised if some of those periods are also significantly outsold by WW2 and ACW by at least 10:1, despite the latter being highly competitive, with plenty of alternative 15mm manufacturers out there.

You’ll have a much better feel than I for the potential pack sales of Vietnam Mountain Tribes (for example, or WW1 Austrian cavalry), and how many pack sales are needed to properly break even - while completeness of a Range IS very important (something you’ve always been good at, which is why my ECW, AWI,Sudan and WW1 collections are all PP, and still expanding), there has to be a balance of high volume core packs to make the whole thing viable commercially.

Is it worth adding a board here (like Baccus and Pendraken do, and Eureka did) where we could suggest specific range extensions (not new ranges, that way lies madness) and drum up support, just to give you a better idea which lines are going to generate immediate, decent sized orders? You’re going to be more inclined to start sculpting WW1 African Askaris if you know that 8-10 of us have indicated we’re going to buy 70-80 packs of them, and 10-15 of the command pack, aren’t you?

Sudan Highlanders spring to mind as one Range extension that came about from repeated requests for same and a board on which such requests could be logged and added to (but absolutely not commit you to!) could only be a good thing.

Enough nagging, I’ll let you get back to sculpting - just don’t spend tooooo much time on ‘nice to have’ but non-essential stuff, would be my advice, for what it’s worth.

Simon

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 08:19:35 AM »
Isn’t that already covered by the Workbench and Suggestions board?

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2018, 03:48:03 PM »
All good points, well made. I usually have an overall "vision" . This means I know what I intend to do, but am of course open to input.
One of the great things(?) about PP is that we go back and re-sculpt figures and add occasional packs to almost all ranges.  This means that when you folk suggest things it all goes in to the potential to-do list. It is very uneconomical to jump from range to range for just an odd pack. Therefore most additions feature 3 or more packs.
A fair bit of research is needed for each new pack that has not been sculpted before.
e.g. A pack of Byzantine spearmen.
1. Find appropriate pictures and information. this would include those so hard to get rear views. Filter out the wrong stuff.
2.Manufacture equipment that is common to the figures. In this case spears and helmeted heads.
3. Sculpt 3 poses per pack .
4. make master mould
5. Mike makes production mould. Website updates etc.

None of this is very difficult, just time consuming.
Stage 1-5 usually need 3 days in total.  Of course some of those "days" are just late nights etc.

Despite all this moaning on  my part, I am always keen to hear ideas. Some of those ideas may already be in the works.

I have about 30 packs on my definite to-do list but need to keep things fresh and want some nice surprises for you folk. So that is 90 figures = 90 days of hard work = 18 weeks = 4.5 months  = March 2019 completion.

An example of the problem for me, is that having announced mountain tribes some months ago, it now appears that I am behind on them and thus tardy. If I had kept them secret then there would be no expectation, just pleasant surprise when they come out.

PP is usually at the very front when it comes to fresh ideas. So keep your eyes peeled for new stuff as along as i can carry on.

The hospital told me that i have the heart of a 76 year old, but should last a few more years (hopefully).

Get PP whilst you can!

Radar

• Supporter 2018
  • Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
    • Keep Your Powder Dry
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2018, 07:21:35 PM »
Interesting to hear about the process involved in making a new figure. Just a thought, couldn't this forum be used as part of the research process? Maybe post up the possible packs for the next 6 months, and those in the know could send links/photos/ book references etc? Obviously you'd still need to check sources, but might make the task a little easier.

For example if you wanted info on armoured ECW siege engineers (this might be a subliminal hint) I could provide photos of armour and the pot helmet supported on the shoulders from Royal Armouries, National Civil War Centre, scans from Ospreys etc

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2018, 07:31:06 PM »
Good  thoughts. "I have irons in the fire but i am keeping them close to my chest" (mixed metaphor).

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2018, 08:12:58 PM »
"I have irons in the fire but i am keeping them close to my chest"

Ouch - I had no idea the creative process was quite so painful...

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2018, 10:19:36 AM »
In my experience, Martin is best left to it awaiting the muse when it strikes. He generally (always) comes up with the goods. And I've always got at least one more pack of figures to be getting on with anyway. ACW generals will be purchased immediately on release as this is my favourite historical period. Mountain Tribes will also be purchased. But my longed for Late WW1 French stiĺl sit in a bag under the table unloved. Such is life.

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2018, 07:02:14 AM »
the new generals look very nice indeed, as does the new Confederate artillery crew.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2018, 09:33:57 AM »
Thanks for the support gets. Mountain tribes are at the "making the bits" stage.  The ACW stuff was to allow the old generals to be deleted. Of course the Union will need input soon too.