Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A first painting commission  (Read 527 times)

Lluis of Minairons

• Piglet
    • View Profile
A first painting commission
« on: June 19, 2018, 10:09:59 PM »
I've recently plunged into a new venture (an exciting and altogether full of uncertainty one): after having been proposed two miniature painting commissions in few days, I've decided to open formally a small painting service. This is focused in naval miniatures so far, due to the nature of both commissions taken --but I'm prone to other subjects and scales.

The first commission taken was from a local gaming mate who purchased from me a bunch of ships, from either Peter Pig and Minairons (up to 7 models!), and later persuaded me to paint them. Once the job started, it came a second commission from a member of this forum involving up to 13 ships else, all them from Peter Pig --and this is why I thought it exciting to formally open the above commented service.

Risking to abuse your indulgence, I'd like to share with you my work with a first batch of those commissioned ships, once finished and awaiting picking up by my gaming friend. Batch consists of a large galleon from Minairons along with a frigate, a fluyt and a schonner, all these from Peter Pig:

The galleon has been painted as a Spanish trader (or corsair) in a livery quite similar to that one already explained in previous posts. Flags are own to XVII century but are suitable for XVIII cent. too:

Similar for the fluyt small trader, that has been given the same set of flags. Hull has been painted in a different brown shade, close to mahogany, because it seemed to fit better the customer's taste:

The remaining two ships have been painted in Catalan livery, following the wish of my customer. So I've given to both a set of naval war flags belonging to the 1640-1653 Catalan Secession War:

The frigate 's hull has been painted in 984 Flat Brown, with results quite satisfactory to me.

As said above, the second commission taken consists of up to 13 ships of all sizes. Work on a first batch of them started last weekend (along with that on the first commission second batch). Work is progressing fast and I'll be able to share results pretty soon --next week, or hopefully even before.

Best wishes,
Lluís

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
Re: A first painting commission
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 10:27:24 PM »
That is an impressive looking armada there. I love seeing these ships.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 10:35:45 PM »
Wow - lovely!

Mike Tanner

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 04:25:10 PM »
Your ships look great as always, Lluis. Good luck with your professional painting service.

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 08:25:34 PM »
The fleet is looking really good.

Martin will be pleased the way these turn out.

Your customers must be pleased with their models.

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 02:31:45 PM »
Thanks for the update Lluis, looking forward to the pictures, have played about 5 game of the Pirate rules with Martin so can’t wait to have my own flee.

Big Mike

• Wild Boar
  • "Bring up the PIAT!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 06:17:34 AM »
These are splendid ships, Lluis. Your painting is to an exceptionally high standard. Where can we find more details of your service? Is email best ?
Michael

Lluis of Minairons

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 03:52:59 PM »
Wow, thanks for your so kind comments!

I've started writing out a service abstract in this particular page of Minairons website. It still lacks some terms detailing, or fees on anything else than ships (due to I being still a rookie at pro painting), so it can be used e-mail (wishlist [at] minairons [dot] eu for instance) to request a job, as well as to agree timeline and general terms of it.

Lluis of Minairons

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 06:33:32 PM »
These days I've been pushing forward that first commission, with the purpose to start making some room for the second commission too. So I've just finished two large galleons from Minairons for the first customer (let's call him EJ), alongside with three fluyt small merchants from Peter Pig for the second one (SM). This is what they look like together once finished:

Regarding EJ's galleons, one of them has been painted and decorated with 1640-1653 Catalan secessionist ensign and flags (just as some of the previous batch ships), while the second one has been finished in a more generic way, so that it could equally perform as a 17th century Spanish man-of-war or a Treasury galleon from up to early 18th c. The purpose of this being to allow the customer to use it in the 18th c. Caribbean campaign we're currently gaming --where he's playing Spain.

Following the suggestion from a Portuguese customer, who explained me it was very rare for galleons other than Spanish to show 3 sails on a mast, this time I've shortened the Catalan galleon masts, leaving them with just 2 sails. Altough a little doubtful at start, I'm now quite happy with the result.

Regarding the second project, this one is to consist in two adversary fleets, merchant and predatory, totalling up to 13 ships of all sizes and riggings between sloop and indiaman --all them from Peter Pig. I've chosen to start with the 3 fluyt ships belonging to the merchant fleet; in order to give some added variety to these three ships of a same model, I've done some small changes to their rigging so as to leave not two identical fluyts. A little variety has ben applied to their colour schema as well --as it can be seen below:

And last, I've placed a slightly different set of flags on each, so as to help an easier identification amidst a large battle. From left to right, flags from England, New England and Ireland.

Not having been given strict instructions about flags, I had in mind at start to assign British Empire flags to the merchant fleet, while pirate ones to the predatory fleet. After watching these pictures, the customer has confirmed the general plan, albeit requesting some nationality variations in the merchant fleet. So that its ships will hoist not just British, but also French, Spanish and Portuguese ensigns. Next batch is to be certainly colourful, then! I'm enjoying this job not least than a dwarf in a diamonds mine would...

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 08:36:59 PM »
Absolutely amazing, lots of beautifully finished ships.

What is the basic generally used brown for the hulls externally, is it still your Chocolate Brown with a bit of grey or have you amended this?

The red on the exposed internal areas were to hide the blood and therefore not alarm the crew!!

But the fleet lots so good, the new owner should be very proud when he puts them out on the war games table!!!!!

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2018, 10:04:40 PM »
Except Lluís, very good indead!

Lluis of Minairons

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2018, 11:12:55 PM »
What is the basic generally used brown for the hulls externally, is it still your Chocolate Brown with a bit of grey or have you amended this?

Yes I'm still using that mix for hulls, but have started experiencing with 984 Flat Brown for masts, as well as 874 Tan Earth for decks.
Also, I've used for the first time 927 Dark Flesh for sails on a couple of ships, trying to obtain a colour similar to that one so often seen in Dutch and Flemish paints.

The red on the exposed internal areas were to hide the blood and therefore not alarm the crew!!

Yes that's the explanation I've read somewhere before, although I keep being skeptic about this. Contrary to the purpose stated, I can imagine few atmospheres scaring more than a plain red room!

Despite explanations read, I still tend to imagine red boards as warning signals of that era --just as our modern black and yellow stripes, I'd say.
However, it's just a personal thought. No evidences supporting it, admittedly.

Thanks for the warm comments, BTW. I've just started working on 3 large full rigged ships, 1 frigate and 1 brig today, nearly all for the 2nd customer. So I expect to have some WIP pictures in 1-2 weeks' time, accordingly to the work rates achieved so far.

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2018, 08:33:35 PM »
Years ago I worked in the Royal Marines Museum in Portsmouth and we were told by staff at the RN museum this was the reason for the red colouring. Also it was an easy colour to repair using 'red lead paint' very unPC now though.

Interesting on your sail colours, I had gone for some of these  'parchment' type colours for washes.

I am going to experiment with Gloss Acrylic medium mixed with some 'water colours' for the bases. This should give me texture, and gloss in one hit. Not had time yet to experiment yet, the weathers too good.