Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rocks  (Read 462 times)

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Rocks
« on: June 15, 2018, 01:04:14 PM »
What use have you made of natural rocks, stones and pebbles in your games.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Rocks
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 01:08:14 PM »
Sand and small gravel for basing figures and on terrain bits.

I don't use bigger stones or gravel.

I have cast some nice "rocks" using proprietary model railway moulds, and wall filler (because I'm a skinflint, and it's cheaper than the recommended plaster).

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 01:33:34 PM »
Some of my WWI dismounted BEF cavalry are sheltering behind some fortunately placed rocks. The funny thing I find with rocks is that they actually look better when they are painted. I also use them to denote rough going.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 01:44:35 PM »
What sort of rocks? Smooth or shrapnel.   I suppose cat litter can be called rocks?

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 03:23:04 PM »
What sort of rocks? Smooth or shrapnel.   I suppose cat litter can be called rocks?

I would venture that it's rare to see large, rounded pebble-shaped rocks in real life.

Further, we typically see just the top of rocks, with much of them being buried. So, if we just stick on rough stones (or large cat litter, etc.), they can look funny unless the lower portion is hidden by "earth". This is another reason why I like the Woodland Scenics cast rocks. The "top" of the moulding is flat when the plaster is poured in, which then lies flat on the "ground" when inverted on a terrain base.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 05:28:57 PM »
Good point Simon.

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 07:09:50 PM »
Used everything from budgie grit through to derbyshire gritstone straight out of the disused quarry.

The gritstone has enough texture to take dry brushing really well.

Duncan

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 11:29:32 AM »
Usually I just use slate. I find that often in hotel or supermarket carparks they have just discarded loads of it around the edges no doubt where they used it in construction but could not be arsed to clear it away and have swept it onto the verges or garden bits. You can just pick it up.
I have only used small bits though for modelling cliffs or riverbanks and the like. Mostly as you say though it needs to at least be partially buried even for rock faces.
Yes, large rocks just say about are quite rare.
I don't like stones or rocks on figure bases, a bit of grass is acceptable but beyond that I like my bases smooth. I don't know how these figures can fight if they have to lug large stones and or rocks about the battlefield with them?

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 02:27:19 PM »
It always makes me laugh. Honestly Duncan, the modeller is giving an impression of what the lttle guys may be doing. They did not literally carry big rocks around the battlefield with them, just as the kneeling figures did not go around on their knees. I love to see bases that have been landscaped, either with natural formations or human detritus. Mind you, itís beginning to sound like Martin should dump the battlefield scatter and rock formations from the catalogue (but not until Iíve bought some, please).