Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rating ease of painting - by PP range?  (Read 308 times)

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Rating ease of painting - by PP range?
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2018, 05:45:02 PM »
Maybe folk could add a note of which paint style they use. Inks, black undercoat, dry brushing etc??  Making this compex!!

Mr Pig - that's a whole new dimension!

Particularly as many of us have probably changed our styles over the years / ranges that we've painted.

And yes, that will teach me...

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2018, 09:56:58 PM »
Years ago I used to spray my figures black then build up colour with 2 or three highlights. It was named the Dallimore method after Kevin Dallimore who painted a lot for Wargames Foundry and developed their paint range.

I found Army Painter dip probably over 10 years ago now and haven't looked back since. I now spray the figure in whatever the main colour is. I then quickly add the detail whether that be weapons, kit or some variation in uniform before painting the AP dip on. I follow this up with a spray on matt varnish.

I have started to use Games workshop shades such as Agrax Earthshade which has the same result but doesn't leave a glossy finish.

I find the AWI and Samurai figures the hardest to paint due to the detail on the uniform with lots of straps. But in the main most ranges I can paint a unit of 18-24 figures in one session. I dont worry about the odd mistake or slip.  So long as the unit looks good from 3 feet I am happy.

Radar

• Supporter 2018
  • Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
    • Keep Your Powder Dry
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2018, 07:03:26 AM »
Black undercoat, block paint flesh areas then Citadel flesh wash (I'm a clumsy messy painter). Block colour everything else. Then wash with Citadel washes (usually just Nuln oil, buff gets localised Agrax wash). Add any required highlights (usually just some white and metals) then spray varnish.
Helps to have well defined sculpted features, helps the colouring in within the lines approach of my painting skillz. A well defined sculpt also takes washes better. PP figures suit my technique and skill level (and lack of patience) - even I can get a reasonable outcome. One of the reasons I chose them.

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2018, 09:38:01 AM »
Indeed painting styles do change with the development of new washes and inks to try and people posting a variety of techniques. I have currently settled on this technique: white primer, chocolate brown wash, block paint, mix of satin varnish and Army Painter soft tone, final coat of brown magic wash. A few bits and bobs get a coat of Nuln oil before the varnish, such as guns and vehicles. My BEF 18pdrs, which I shall post very soon, have had this treatment. The battery of two models plus crew took four days, including drying time.

Duncan

• Supporter 2018
  • Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2018, 06:43:42 PM »
With regards to style of painting, myself I never spray anything! I don't like the news and lots of sprays smell!

I tend to undercoat in either black, white, brown or green depending on what I am doing. For example, my recent Tjublings I have u dercoated white as they have lots of bright colours whereas the Beja and Zulus I am doing now to face my colonial British are undercoated dark brown (one of the Citadel base paints.) That way they just get a second coat and allminam left to do is pick out the loin cloth, spear, rifle, head dress etc and shade. The British with multicoloured tunics depending on regiment were undercoated white so the colours stand out.

I tend to use the Citadel Seraphim Sepia shade a lot. It adds that old Sepia photo finish to a lot of models I find.

I would say that I used to pick out all the straps and belts, but I find nowadays that painting in artificial light (even with acday bulb.) my eyes cannot focus enough to make a good job of it. I am fine in realmdaylightvduring the day, but as most of my free painting time is in the evening that is no good. I mentioned it tongue optician the other day but apparently it's normal for old folks.

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2018, 09:29:52 AM »
Have to almost agree on the no spraying. I have only two exceptions - undercoating 28mm plastic figures and initial white coat on buildings. Everything else is done by hand.

Mike6t3

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2018, 06:46:52 PM »
No spraying for me either. Apart from the mess and smell there are always bits I miss where part of the figure blocks the spray from reacing another part. Always use a brush now. Priming is always thinned down White enamel, undercoat depends on the figure. Mono coloured uniforms such as my WW2 Russians are undercoated Greenish Brown and the details blocked in then given a thin wash of Brown, the varnished matt once dry.
More complex figures are undercoated black, A darker shade of the final colours is applied followed by a lighter one leaving the darker shade in the creases and Black between where colours meet. Then Varnish matt.
Thats the theory anyway, due to my iffy eyesight and sausage fingers the end result isn't always what I aimed for but they look ok.

Mike Tanner

• Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2018, 05:44:02 PM »
Following on from Martin's ongoing discussion on complexity of rules, I'm assuming that prospective new players would also want to know how hard it is to paint the figures to go with them. Some sculpts may be easier than others to paint, but generally I think it's the period (numbers of colours and/or complexity of dress) that determines ease of painting.

If I set the bar at a "standard wargames" level of painting i.e. putting colour on all the main bits, but not necessarily picking out every finger nail or doing 5-layer shading), I would offer (on a scale of easy=1 to highly complex=10):

Dark Ages: 3
Wars of the Roses: 3
Samurai: 7
ECW: 5
AWI: 5
Colonial: 5
Western: 5
WWI: 2
SCW: 3
WW2: 3
Vietnam: 2
Modern Africa: 1

Any other views?

As a newbie I am curious to learn why Vietnam figures are considered harder to paint than Modern Africa?

Radar

• Supporter 2018
  • Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
    • Keep Your Powder Dry
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2018, 07:07:25 PM »
That'll be all the anti-war slogans on helmets and tie-dyed t-shirts that the Americans wore. ;-)

NTM

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2018, 12:03:14 PM »
I only have figures from the WWII ranges but find them very easy to paint with the following method.

Primer grey - Vallejo Polyurethane
Block paint main colours
Wash - Army Painter strongtone
Paint details and the odd bit of drybrushing.
Varnish - Winsor & Newton

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2018, 01:12:28 PM »
As a newbie I am curious to learn why Vietnam figures are considered harder to paint than Modern Africa?

Mike, I wouldn't read too much nuance into this scoring - it was simply my subjective view. A few points to justify the difference, though:

a) i got fed up with painting the sandals (notably their straps) on my VC: barefoot AK47 Militia were much easier in that regard
b) the Vietnam US do indeed come with lots of nice detail - but it needs painting (I've actually carved some off my more recent figures, to add some variety)
c) the straps and flak jackets on the US Marines add a little more fiddliness: I cheated and used a mix of inks and dry-brushing which I was happy with but did take a little more time.

Does that help any?

Mike Tanner

• Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2018, 08:00:40 PM »

Mike, I wouldn't read too much nuance into this scoring - it was simply my subjective view. A few points to justify the difference, though:

a) i got fed up with painting the sandals (notably their straps) on my VC: barefoot AK47 Militia were much easier in that regard
b) the Vietnam US do indeed come with lots of nice detail - but it needs painting (I've actually carved some off my more recent figures, to add some variety)
c) the straps and flak jackets on the US Marines add a little more fiddliness: I cheated and used a mix of inks and dry-brushing which I was happy with but did take a little more time.

Does that help any?

Thanks Colonel, it makes sense to me now.