Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Strange trees  (Read 305 times)

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Strange trees
« on: June 09, 2018, 08:22:08 AM »
Over many years wargamers have always needed trees. This means that they have had to tackle a lot of methods. "Necessity is the mother of invention".

Here are a few that I have used over the years.

1. Wire wool (kitchen scourer) painted green and put on a stick. Moderately successful.Bits kept falling off.
2. Layered.  Concentric circles of card.On a stick, spaced out . Looked acceptable but not very amusing or engaging.
3.Toilet brushes (K & M style). Expensive, messy to cut, but good conversation pieces.
4. Lichen on a stick. Looks quite good but lifespan very short indeed.
5. Paper. Tight roll, chopped into and then expanded helix like. Cheap bit appalling.
6. Cotton wool. Terrible. Became very matted. Cheap though.
7. Cast in metal (for 1/300th). OK but my gloss varnish made them a bit silly.
8.  Tree cones small or big. Got a bit flakey. The small ones for 1/300th were terrific though, as they expanded the veins to give a spacious look.
9. Horsehair. A real pain to cut and there seemed to be one faced covered in black tar. Looked good, but did de-flock.
10. Lego ones with lots of little plastic bits glued into a lump(1973).  Never got round to imitating this method, but the Lego ones looked really good.

I am sure there are another 20 odd methods out there??

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Strange trees
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 08:48:59 AM »
11. Bought ready-made (various): this is the one type of scenery (apart from mats) that I have bought "readu to go" (although I repainted the bases)
12. The "clump foliage on an armature" approach, where you buy both plastic armatures and the foliage: assemble armatures, bend to taste and stick on foliage.

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 01:37:39 PM »
Many years ago I made my own 6mm trees using dry-brushed alder cones. Nowadays I tend to use Woodland Scenics clump foliage glued to foam board for 6mm and 3mm scenics. Otherwise I mostly use S&A or model railway trees with the bigger scales.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 03:18:38 PM »
Thanks Leman - S&A and Woodland Scenics were the firms I was trying to think of for my points 11 and 12 below ;)