Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Granny Lee's army  (Read 509 times)

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Granny Lee's army
« on: June 04, 2018, 06:49:40 PM »
I am reading "General Lee's army by Glatthaar.  Full of interesting statistics. Concentrates mainly on the ANV. Huge amount of background about social issues.

First couple of interesting points are that many slaves in the south were lent out to others , partially to help reinforce the slavery system acceptance.   Also getting units by rail to the front was a real mixed experience. In hot weather the men got unwell and knocked about in overcrowded cattle and passenger cars. The trains of the period were poorly powered, thus troops often had to get out on inclines so the train could get up the incline. Phew!

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
Re: Granny Lee's army
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 01:37:40 PM »
Indeed there are some pretty interesting stories and facts about all the Confederate armies, like the Texan cavalry officer in the west who went to war in jaguar skin trousers and matching holsters, then ruined his macho appearance with a pair of tiny John Lennon glasses.

I am now returning to my PP 3mm armies for some western theatre action using Altar of Freedom (often referred to as AoF - see acronym thread), whilst continuing to paint up the BEF (there’s another one!).

agamemnon

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 10:28:02 AM »
Re reference to Byzantine infantryman.....should one take this as a hint of a future range?!!!!!
Best.
Stephen<

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 05:22:21 PM »
Byzantine Empire is a big chunk of history - from somewhere in the C5th to 1453. Knowing the PP approach, if it happens it will be a particular epoch within that time frame.