Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Audio Books  (Read 746 times)

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Audio Books
« on: July 17, 2016, 09:43:43 AM »
I really enjoy audio books as they allow me to work and listen.  What would it be like to own an audio book of an army list.  sounds od at first but the reader could give background to the units and justification for the contents. Descriptions might also slot in.  OR it could say  "an infantry base another infantry base and a tank".

I am thinking "there would be a platoon of US infantry, These represent the 3rd Division in 1967. In the previous months they have been in the central highlands ending in operation OhMy. The platoon would be recognisable by their use of Kit Carson vietnamese scouts with cowboy hats and tger stripe uniforms (very close fitting)on. It was on of these scouts that led the night ambush at SoniJim. At this point the unit would have most troops armed with M16s, but M14s would be with the recon platoon.  etc

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
Re: Audio Books
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 08:41:41 PM »
I always seem to have an Audio book on the go, mainly non fiction historicals. 'All Hell Let Loose', Max Hastings general history of WW2 is a firm favourite. He is currently working on a history of the Vietnam War. He must have heard Martin was working on the new Vietnam rules and wanted to jump on the bandwagon.

From fiction I really enjoyed the Bernard Cornwell 'Saxon Chronicles' until they changed the narrator on book 4 or 5 and also stopped using the old English place names and started using modern versions instead. Lost a lot of flavour and so I returned to physically reading the books.

An army list on audio book is an interesting concept. I'd buy it!

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Audio Books
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 08:00:59 AM »
Sean,

Thanks for the heads-up re. the new Vietnam book.

As you say, very timely!

I believe he's already done the Spanish Civil War, so he's ahead of the game there.