Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rhodesian Army Camouflage  (Read 562 times)

Mike Tanner

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Rhodesian Army Camouflage
« on: May 22, 2018, 08:52:30 PM »
In this topic I would like to discuss painting Rhodesian Army camouflage uniforms for 15mm scale figures.

How would you guys tackle this particular camouflage pattern? 

Which colour should go on first as the base coat?

How red is the brown? Were some uniforms camo dark red fading to camo brown? Or was Rhodesian brown always a very rustic autumnal reddish brown throughout the entire production phase?

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Rhodesian Army Camouflage
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 09:21:47 PM »
Mike,

I'd go for the light green first, then the darker and finally the brown.

From the close-up of the uniform jacket, this would maybe translate into a Vallejo Russian Green lightened with some Iraqui Sand, then Reflective Green, and then whatever medium brown you have to hand?

I've found that sometimes the subtlety of what I've tried with camouflage can get lost in the end result, so maybe over-emphasise the colours a little (as I've probably done in my above suggestions)?

Good luck!

Simon

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 09:27:58 PM »
In the pictures the red brown stands out.
Looking at the pictures there does not appear to be any standard cut to the uniforms so the layout of the colours will be random!

The illustration also shows that the brown is the distinctive colour, then the two shades of green.

How much the jacket camo shows will depend on how much kit your figures are carrying.

Mike Tanner

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 05:38:30 PM »
Thanks guys.

Rakkasan

• Piglet
  • Ne Desit Virtus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 09:38:45 AM »
Hi Mike, for my Rhodies I used a base of Vallejo Game color Bonewhite, then Vallejo Refractive Green and Vallejo Game Color Parasite brown. I gave it a coat of Army Painter Soft tone ink to even it all out. If I get a chance I'll post some pics......i have to break out the camera as I'm the last person on the European continent without a smartphone  ;D

Mike Tanner

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 05:23:51 PM »
Hi Mike, for my Rhodies I used a base of Vallejo Game color Bonewhite, then Vallejo Refractive Green and Vallejo Game Color Parasite brown. I gave it a coat of Army Painter Soft tone ink to even it all out. If I get a chance I'll post some pics......i have to break out the camera as I'm the last person on the European continent without a smartphone  ;D

We are standing by for those photos!  :)