Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A whole host of daffodils/wargames books  (Read 866 times)

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
A whole host of daffodils/wargames books
« on: July 17, 2016, 09:35:40 AM »
Have you noticed on Amazon that there is a HUGE amount of wargames books just out and coming out. Some look awful and others look really interesting. Is anyone waiting for a specific one?

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
Re: A whole host of daffodils/wargames books
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 08:31:01 PM »
Yes there does seem to be a lot of low quality stuff out there. I have a collection of the old classics including Featherstone, Grant and Wesencraft titles. A favourite is Wargames Tactics by Charles Grant. This has a chapter per period where a wargame is played out and described move by move. Tactics used by the players are discussed. I must have read this book a dozen times.

I can't say I'm waiting for any particular title although I know Henry Hyde is writing another book to follow up on his Wargames Compendium which I thought was rather good. The One Hour wargame I thought was a very poor book.

Leman

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 03:09:32 PM »
Funnily enough I found one hour war-games an interesting  read and a good source of scenarios, which can be tweaked with troops, terrain and time for use with any number of rules. Also  provides a useful source of games on a canal boat where space is somewhat limited. At the moment there is a series available on Amazon, where the corporate colour is orange. They are truly dreadful.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 02:32:25 PM »
I thought that the One Hour Wargames book was probably worth the price just for the wide range of scenarios [i.e. particularly for those poor souls not playing rules with an RFCM scenario generator] provided.

The rules themselves are simplistic in the extreme, and I've not played any yet, although I've seen others' AARs that seemed to give (to them) an enjoyable game.

Illustrations are disappointing - notably the cover photo, which bears no resemblance to the rules within!

I agree that Henry Hyde's book was good fun - and excellent value for money - albeit focusing rather more on the larger scales. There doesn't seem much on the market (notably on the "hobby" side of painting and scenery-making) aimed specifically at 15mm.