Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 1914 BEF  (Read 1435 times)

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
Re: 1914 BEF
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2018, 10:05:58 AM »
Indeed Martin; even my new attempt is too dark so I will be having another go tomorrow. I donít think the black undercoat is going to work with the Germans, so I will go back to brown. This experimentation is worth it though because once I am happy with the palette I can crack on.

Apparently darker grey trousers were only ordered for the ORs from 15th August 1914, so I doubt the troops in the initial clashes would have worn them. Officers always had darker trousers than tunic.

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2018, 05:38:40 PM »
I have now completed the second battalion, including a few head swaps. This time I used the GW shades, flesh and sepia, then an acrylic satin varnish, and finally the brown magic wash. Unfortunately the photos do not really show the differences between the first battalion and second battalion all that clearly, but the GW shades, followed by the magic wash really does bring out the creases and folds in the figures. First the original command stand, then the second command stand.

The third photo shows the experimentation with the German infantry. I finally settled on Vallejo Light Grey as the basic uniform colour and a wash of GW Nuln Oil. The faces and hands had the flesh wash and the helmet covers were painted buff then a Sepia wash. Again followed by satin varnish and then Magic Wash. The figure on the extreme right has the original grey green mix, which seemed too dark.

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2018, 10:09:31 PM »
A few shots of the first cavalry unit - Lancers. A few of the figures are from TSS, ie, the mounted machine gun and the horse holder, although he does have a PP head swap.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2018, 10:27:01 PM »
They should stop the Hun????

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2018, 10:29:08 PM »
Not if French keeps insisting there is very little to his front!

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2018, 10:42:16 PM »
As promised, my first pair of 18pdr field guns for my growing BEF force.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2018, 11:11:25 PM »
Leman, they turned out rather well - very nice!

Mike Tanner

• Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2018, 04:22:02 PM »
Very nice indeed!

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2018, 04:25:05 PM »
Look forward to seeing the whole army!

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2018, 04:36:02 PM »
Time to get some Jocks for my fourth battalion.

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2018, 08:02:52 PM »
Well the kilted chaps arrived yesterday. I needed 16, but didnít really want two officers, so thought a bit about what to do with a base of three - then remembered I had some shell craters from Irregular (nice small 6mm ones) so popped one of those on the fourth base in lieu of the fourth figure. Meanwhile, Mr Spare Officer is being lined up to command a head swap battalion of the KOSB.

However the third battalion is now complete, but will just include it in the piccies of the army as a whole, as it is the same as the first two battalions, but in firing line mode.

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2018, 08:01:16 PM »
I think this has been my quickest ever unit - from ordering on 26th June to completion on 6th July (although in my haste, as you can see in the photos, I forgot the red bobble on the Glengarry, which I have now corrected). Never having painted tartan before and being well aware of my shaky hands, I did some research, opted for Gordon tartan, but, so as not to spoil the overall look, left out the thin yellow lines. 

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2018, 08:15:35 PM »
The Highlanders were photographed in natural sunlight but I think the previous photos, under artificial light, look better. When I do the whole force, I will put them on the wargames table under the room light to try and get the best effect. This force has been put together for using the 1914 rules from Great Escape games. The individual bases have a 50mm frontage by 25mm depth. Thus half a base is 25x25. As the units are the same size as SB units I will also be able to use them for SB games on my 8Ē squared cloth.

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2018, 08:58:40 AM »
The final piece to complete my initial BEF force: the command stand. Two shots, the first emphasising the red cap bands of the three senior officers and the second showing the whole stand a little more clearly. Next task is to complete the bases using the same technique for the whole force.

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2018, 06:00:24 PM »
The initial BEF force is now complete (apart from the Scottish machine gun, which is on the painting block), and can be added to at leisure. I have ditched the Saga idea for now and am getting straight on with the German opposition.

First the whole force, followed by a few closeups.