Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bring and buys  (Read 339 times)

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Bring and buys
« on: May 15, 2018, 07:24:52 PM »
Are there any items that you regularly see on bring and buys.  For better or worse!
I am seeing quite a few  hardback rule sets that have been superceded by a new edition. Is this because they cost a lot and cannot simply be thrown away??

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Bring and buys
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 09:36:27 PM »
And some people just like the old editions and Bring and Buys are a good place to pick a new copy.

Duncan

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 12:40:01 AM »
I like to buy some rule books old or otherwise if they have nice illustrations that give me inspiration for modelling projects, painting figures, conversions, etc. I am not bothered by the rules and rarely read them, but I buy the books for the hobby sections. The old Flames of War and GW books are good examples of what i would buy. Don't care if the rules play well or not as I will not be using g them.

Another thing you see a lot of on bring and buys are usually broken bits of scenery, maybe not too much of an issue for bombed houses, but otherwise of little use or value I feel.

You also get loads of old snap fit GW Pros and or Space Marines, sometimes badly painted with oil based enamels.

I do tend to steer clear of bring and buys I have to say as I usually find things are too expensive for me considering the condition that a lot are in.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 04:20:10 PM »
I see plenty of 25mm single units in undercoat stage.

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 04:46:02 PM »
I attend about three shows a year and there always seem to be plenty of DBM style armies for sale.

Lurkio

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Lurkio
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 05:26:26 PM »
does anyone still run Bring and Buys ... seems a bit 80's

given the amount of theft its was never really worth the while, and was really only a vehicle to get punters through the door. But given the likes of Ebay now that seems less likely

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 05:53:27 PM »
Simon you can't have ever visited Fisticuffs. Come and visit this year and see an excellent, well run B and B. We'll buy you a coffee!

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 08:14:03 PM »
I still think the best one is York, where you book a half hour slot for 5 or thereabouts and sell your own stuff. Theft is much less likely as you are overseeing your own table.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 04:54:51 PM »
The table thing is what the US gamers like. The one is called "flea market". They are quite well populated but can disappear before you get to them.  The Fisticuffs BB has always contributed to the show costs and not really suffered any thefts (touch wood).   The Bristol table top show is yet another  BB version that i believe is very successful.

Mike Tanner

• Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 11:10:03 PM »
The one is called "flea market".

Now I know what you guys are talking about. It appears I have been out of the country for too long. Or are you talking about Wargame specific markets?

I picked up an unbuilt Airfix Flying Fortress model with all the parts still inside the box at a school jumble sale for pennies during the early 70s. I remember being over the moon with my luck on that deal.