Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cheap paint for terrain  (Read 109 times)

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Cheap paint for terrain
« on: May 15, 2018, 05:31:51 PM »
I have very belatedly taken up another piece of Les's good advice, and today took myself down to the local B&Q.

For the princely sum of 3 each, I got 236ml pots of paint made up to precisely match my two "base" basing paints: Howard Hues Geo-Hex Tan 4144 for temperate climes and Vallejo Iraqi sand for arid zones (both tend to get dry-brushed with a lighter colour later):

While I won't use wall emulsion to paint my lead figures, these should be plenty good enough for terrain and basing. Bearing in mind that the Howard Hues pot is 1 fluid ounce, and the Vallejo is 17ml, this must be something of a bargain. And I only had to wait for less than 5 minutes while they mixed up the paint.

You may note the cunning deployment of Peter Pig bases to provide the paint samples. In reality, the DIY shop only needs something the size of a 5p piece to do the scanning, but I didn't want to take any chances [I think this could be an untapped business opportunity for Martin to sell his bases in smaller packets and at a healthy mark-up to the DIY paint-colour matching market....].

Anyway, I'm very pleased with this retail foray: no need to buy match pots that are "almost right" for my needs now I've realised quite how easy this all is.

And a big thank-you to Les for the top tip.

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
Re: Cheap paint for terrain
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 05:35:20 PM »
What a splendid idea  :)

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 07:20:49 PM »
That is a great idea when you have a large area to paint as well. 
Les might still have some photos of the boards he made. Most now with Ralph. They were excellent in texture, colour and design. Pictures Les???

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 09:34:32 PM »
I'll look some out, busy with the Western rules tonight.

NTM

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 06:34:23 AM »
Valspar paint featured on Watchdog last week. Apparently it can smell like cat pee when it dries.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 07:12:06 AM »
Apparently it can smell like cat pee when it dries.

Excellent - that should keep the mice away from my toys then :)