Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Recently Been Watching...  (Read 8328 times)

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Recently Been Watching...
« on: May 11, 2018, 07:36:05 PM »
So, this is intended to be a visual equivalent to the Currently Reading persistent thread.

I will start with the recent 8-part "Troy: Fall of a City". I've been catching up with my recordings of this and have got as far as episode 3.

I know very little about the period (other than the rich warriors rode around in chariots, and no-one had invented steel yet).

I'm not so sure about folk charging around on large horses (I'd thought that the point of chariots was that horses hadn't yet been bred sufficiently strong enough to be ridden into battle, but that could be a myth), but like the not-too-fantasy armour and generally gritty look.

I'm equally not sure how one could make an interesting wargame out of this (any ideas?) but it's a story I've always been interested in and am delighted it's been given the "box set treatment by the BBC.

Leman

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
Re: Recently Been Watching...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 09:21:13 AM »
Unfortunately my opinion of the show is not very positive. In fact I wondered how such an exciting story could be presented in such a boring way. I think Iíll stick with the Brad Pitt version. As for wargaming: it was an age of heroic warfare so skirmish gaming is probably the best way to do it.

Duncan

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 06:45:50 PM »
I have to say I agree, I watched the first two episodes which was a struggle as they were so terribly done. I hoped it would improve but sadly not.

I don't tend to watch much television nowadays beyond the news, but I am currently watching season 2 of Westworld and have just started watching Siren for which I am as of yet undecided as to if I like it?

Leman

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 11:22:49 AM »
I have recently been watching El Ministerio Del Tiempo on Netflix. OK, it is sub-titled, but as I am trying to improve my Spanish this is a bonus for me. The storylines are really engaging, the premise being that Spain has access to a building with many doors, each of which leads to a different year in the past. The Spanish government has set up a secret ministry (complete with budget cuts) to oversee the doors and ensure history is not messed about, but of course all sorts of characters are trying to access the present in order to change their own particular history. So far Napoleonic spies have been after modern weapons to change the course of the Peninsular War, and the Nazis have been prevented from dragging Spain into WWII, whilst also attempting to access the present for their own gain. A famous Spanish poet has also been prevented from dying prematurely on the Spanish Armada. The agents who work for the ministry also come from different time periods, whilst at the same time the show is not averse to poking fun at modern Spain compared to its glorious past. If you can cope with sub-titles I would recommend this as highly entertaining.

Duncan

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 01:23:43 PM »
Anyone been watching Missions on BBC4? Shame it is in French but every now and then something that I feel is worthwhile reading the subtitles for comes along (as I don't speak French.) If you don't know it is about the first manned mission to Mars with a bit of a twist. Seems quite exciting so far. I have watched the first three episodes so far as catching up on the iPlayer.

Leman

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 07:44:51 PM »
Yes, I have been watching it. I think, like a lot of European stuff, it is very good as it doesnít suffer from the American habit of lathering everything in smulch. I actually find that paying attention to the subtitles helps in picking up foreign language idiom  - so stay calm, tranquillo; con dios.

Duncan

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 05:29:23 PM »
Maybe not watching but listening. Any Questions on BBC Radio 4 this week was talking about the high street and shops closing. One of the panel members (Edwina.) was talking about the need for retailers to make the High Street presence more of an experience and tie it in with the online sales rather than you g for an old style store that has not kept up with the times, like what has happened to so many department stores recently that have folded.
Anyway, one retailer that was singled out for using their stores for an experience rather than specifically just retail and as such proving to be a huge success not placing profit just for the store as its reason for existing, was Games Workshop where you can go play games, not just buy stuff. It was seen as an example of the way ahead. Just a pitty they seemed a bit confused about if it was wargames or video games but then I guess her even knowing the name of the company is something!

Leman

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 09:41:07 AM »
Fortunately Wargames in Southport has gone that way - late opening, games being played and food and drink available, plus a friendly, knowledgeable but not pushy staff.

Duncan

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 10:30:35 AM »
Yes, the store that has opened in Weymouth is following this trend as well. Trouble is that it is not very big, but you have to take what you can afford I guess.
The one problem with this sort of store and maybe it is in part the summer me t matter is that it tends to become a hang out for smellies and noisy teens, or a substitute babysitter for kids dropped off by parents doing the shopping. Subsequently I find they can get noisy and uncomfortable if not properly controlled.

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 10:17:20 PM »
Yes Duncan I noticed that when I called in Boss minies, you and Mike were playing a game and the 5 or 6 kids on the window table were just chat in and on their phones. Scot (opener) was drown that her end talking to someone .

Duncan

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2018, 02:24:04 PM »
If you are interested there is a video of me reciting two of my poems on Conny's YouTube channel now!

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2018, 09:35:55 PM »
Sounds good Duncan. Can you put a link to make it easier to find.

Duncan

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 01:14:37 PM »
Hee is th liink I hope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6_C33Z9TCA

Let me know what you think?

Leman

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2018, 05:49:45 PM »
The other night I watched Mohawk on Netflix. Set in woodland New York state in 1814, about a British agent and two Mohawk Indians being pursued by an American patrol. It started quite promisingly, then became rather strange, and I wasnít sure at the end whether one of the Indians was alive or a ghost. Unusual cinematic fare though, the War of 1812.

Duncan

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2018, 02:36:58 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06l0r01

See above link, Radio 5 Live, Up All Night Science with Dr Karl. Around 37 minutes in there is a question for Dr Karl from me regarding Earth, Pluto and clearing out ones orbital path.