Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Recently Been Watching...  (Read 7690 times)

MatŪas

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Recently Been Watching...
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2019, 12:14:19 PM »
I'm currently rewatching HBO's Rome to get in the mood for my Roman army.
Couldn't get through book 3 of His Dark Materials so I'm hoping to watch the series.

Leman

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2019, 02:48:01 PM »
I have now watched the film, and in a few places it actually did touch on the historical life of Henry V, but I am assuming it was filmed in Philadelphia as enormous liberties were taken.  Had it been called The Red Shield of The Tower, about an episode in the life of King Harold IV it would have been a brilliant medieval romp, but history it ainít.

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2019, 02:58:12 PM »
Still the battle scene was impressive??

Leman

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2019, 03:09:51 PM »
Yes indeed, although I donít think the Dauphin was even there. He certainly outlived Henry. Did Thomas die in battle? Yes he did, in 1421. Were Henry and Hotspur on the same battlefield? Yes they were. It was Shrewsbury in 1403, Henry IV was in good health; prince Henry and Hotspur did not fight each other; Thomas wasnít present but King Henry was; prince Henry was wounded by an arrow in the right side of his face, thus the Henry in the film had the scar on the left side of the face. The devil, as all filmmakers know, is in the detail. But yes, it was a good battle scene. I could go on but it would become tedious.

One last thing - they chose an actor to play Hotspur who looked more like Henry V than the actor who played Henry V (who looked more like Rowan Atkinson). Why do I never get asked to consult on films?

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2019, 04:59:44 PM »
Having no idea on the premise of the film I thought the opening scene was the young Prince Hal  :D

I enjoyed it as a medieval romp. It was interesting that they didnt make it obvious who was who and where was where...

The bit about Thomas being preferred for the crown was odd too. And the claim that he died in Wales. What gets me most is, why do they mess with history when history tells a better story?

Leman

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2019, 10:26:46 PM »
My sentiments entirely. Henry Vís actual story is a gripping yarn. This production, despite a good battle scene emphasising the mud at Agincourt,  and a passable stab at the siege of Harfleur (never actually named), was lamentable in itís approach to Henry Vís actual story. The film was long enough to deal with the early rebellion by Glyndwr and Percy and then focus on Henry IVís favouritism towards prince Thomas. Then it could have dealt with the kingís declining health and falling out with prince Henry owing to the latterís disagreement about the way the country was being run. After the kingís death Henry was convinced of his right to the French throne. Negotiations with the French were unsuccessful, and the new king had to raise loans, troops, a navy, provisions etc, and all the while Cambridgeís plot was happening and needed dealing with. On landing in France prince Thomas was instrumental in organising half of the force besieging Harfleur, whilst prince John (along with Humphrey, never mentioned in the film) was entrusted as regent of England. Henry did issue a personal challenge to the Dauphin, who simply ignored it. Further, I can only assume that Fastolfís involvement and death at the battle of Agincourt is a nod to the never mentioned Duke of York. As for the supposed assassination story Iíve never come across that before. In short anyone who gets their information on Henry V from this film will be getting a large amount of total b.......cks.

Radar

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Keep Your Powder Dry
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2019, 07:35:37 AM »
The King is quite good viewing. Just don't think about it.

Looks like the writers took a good spoonful of Shakespeare, a pinch of historical fact, and bulked it all out with made-up-ness.

As an aside, I can heartily recommend the BBC podcast on Tunnel 29

Leman

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2019, 08:00:50 AM »
Letís have the Civil War version. Initially Charles and his father donít get along so James decides that his younger son James will become king. However, this never happens as prince James is killed fighting the Spanish. Later in the film Charles, at the head of the red clad Pennymanís regiment takes on Jonesí blewe regiment, during which he is approached by Cromwell, who offers to fight a duel, but then trips over. In a very dismissive way Charles nods at Pennymanís pikemen who fall on the hapless Cromwell with abandon. What a great watch that would be.  ;D ;D ;D I guess we historians are just going to have to grin and bear the film industryís peccadilloes.

Radar

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Keep Your Powder Dry
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2019, 09:24:48 AM »
The suspension of belief (and facts) is a prerequisite for watching anything remotely pitched as 'historical'. everything needs some Hollywood 'sexing up'.

I am surprised, with the current political climate and the wealth of commentators making analogies with the Civil Wars, that no-one has pitched a good Civil war script to the film industry or the telly box.

For the Civil Wars Charles II's flight from the Battle of Worcester wouldn't need any sexing it up treatment. A tale of ripping yarn quality. Our hero, Charles, has to travel across merry old England in a number of disguises; aided by a glamorous strong woman (i'm sure she could become a lady from the colonies, in order to appeal to the American market), dodging evil incompetent stormtroopers Parliamentarian troops led by the the Sith Lord Cromwell. Lots of close calls (dramatic music), pretty cinematography, and the King winning in the end (boo/hurrah delete as appropriate). Plus it's not a superhero film. Box office success.

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2019, 11:19:12 AM »
I thought the Charles Spencer book on this subject was rather good, as was the book on the King Killers.

Leman

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2019, 02:03:10 PM »
I live in hope that maybe Auntie Beeb will come up with a good and reasonably accurate Civil War script, after all, they appear to have done a pretty good job with His Dark Materials, much better than Hollywood, and decades ago they did a great drama on the trial of Charles I, complete with stuttering Scottish accent.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2019, 02:21:09 PM »
Andy, what did you think of By The Sword Divided, many years ago...?

Radar

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Keep Your Powder Dry
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2019, 02:48:02 PM »
BtSWD trivia - the dashing Tom Lacey is the one and only David Archer, from Ambridge. Surprised that Linda Snell could only ever get him to play an ugly sister in the village Christmas panto.

Leman

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2019, 04:53:26 PM »
If i remember I quite liked BTSD, but was disappointed that the fight scenes never seemed to involve more than  three or four people.

Leman

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2019, 04:55:34 PM »
Have started watching His Dark Materials. A good few years since I read the books, but the Beeb seems to have made a jolly good fist of it - most enjoyable.