Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Recently Been Watching...  (Read 1485 times)

Mike Tanner

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Recently Been Watching...
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2018, 02:55:15 PM »
What is your view on this subject, Duncan. Should we bring back Pluto?

Duncan

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2018, 08:51:57 PM »
I cannot see why? There maybe larger objects out there but then I Don't see why they cannot be planets as well.

For example if the talked about planet 9 is found the evidence points to it being a Super-Earth category which would make sense as it seems our system is an odd one out not having a planet of that mass; but it is also going to be a Kuiper Belt object and as such will no more of cleared its orbital trajectory than what Pluto will have.

Or for that matter Neptune, as we all know for part of its orbit (admittedly a small part) Pluto is nearer to the Sun than Neptune, so the same could be said for it as well. As I mentioned in my question, Earth is far from clearing its orbit although I admit nothing that big is in our way.

As it happens and unbeknown to me at the time of my question (as I have been pondering t for a while now.) A paper has just been published on the matter detailing the number of Trojans sharing orbits with Jupiter (some of which are quite big) as well as Earth and putting the point across that Jupiter is also in the same uncleared orbital position as Pluto and as such should also have planetvstatus withdrawn if this is the one criteria on which Pluto falls down under the new classification, which it is.

Personally I think that is a rubbish criteria as if we applied itvstrictly then none of the planet's would actually be planets.

When I was growing up a planet was an object orbiting the Sun (or another star.) That was also spherical under the influence of its own gravity. Therefore Pluto was one, but so would some of the other small worlds out there be and that is fine by me and to be honest I think most people. What we call then isn't going to matter two hoots to them, so it doesn't matter to me either. I see no issue with our sysem having twenty planets if that is how many it has.

I say make people happy, reinstate Pluto and bring those other worlds in from the cold! Most of them have names anyway and it is surprising how quickly children can memorise a few extra!

Smiley Miley 66

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2018, 01:27:46 PM »
Talking of TV shows. Has anybody seen the Channel 5 series "The Great Model Railway Challenge" a very good concept and shows the problems we have all experienced one way or another doing shows and tables for events etc....
Giving teams 3 days to make a layout to use and show. Showing some modelling technical abilities and problems. Worth taking a look.

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2018, 01:08:42 AM »
Recorded for later viewing. Maybe the Great British Wargame isn't far away!

Smiley Miley 66

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2018, 03:56:09 AM »
They done that a few years back, BBC 2 ?
This one is done in conjunction with i e of the railway magazines.
Looking at there site, they are doing a model railway scene in a cakebox, 8 inch square, that looks good too.

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2018, 02:30:49 PM »
Just finished watching a film called 'Forbidden Ground'. It tells the story of 3 soldiers stranded in no mans land after a failed offensive during the later stages of WW1. Worth a watch. It's no Saving Private Ryan and a tad sentimental but I really quite enjoyed it.

NTM

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2018, 12:09:31 PM »
They done that a few years back, BBC 2 ?

Do you mean the C4 one with Angela Rippon Paddy Griffiths and Ian Dickie? BBC 2 did Time Commanders the most recent incarnation presented by Al Murray.

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2018, 04:39:34 PM »
Completely away from my historical wargaming, I stumbled across Colony on Netflix (not to be confused with another Sci Fi - The Colony). TBH it is an allegory of the Holocaust. Earth has been conquered by an Alien Race (surprisingly kept under wraps, with only hints, even after two series) and, after a fair proportion of humanity has been killed off, the remaining cities have been divided up into blocks by prefabricated 300 high steel walls. The inhabitants are policed by collaborating humans, the most important of whom have their own fenced off  area of huge mansions and massive gardens. Humans who transgress are either shipped off (literally) to a labour camp on the moon, called the factory, or to labour camps just outside the walls. And of course there are various resistance groups. Still dont yet know what the ultimate agenda of the aliens is, but humans are being gradually exterminated. As can be seen - many parallels with the holocaust and some excellent plot lines. If you enjoy sci fi series I would recommend this one, if you can get past the American obsession with family, hugging and saying I love you every five minutes.