Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Minairons finishing of PP ships  (Read 665 times)

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Minairons finishing of PP ships
« on: May 10, 2018, 06:58:25 PM »
Luis what did you use to create the rigging on the PP models?

Lluis of Minairons

• Piglet
    • View Profile
Re: Minairons finishing of PP ships
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 09:52:19 PM »
Hi,

Sorry I hadn't noticed this thread before.

As for general basckstays, I just used sewing thread of an appropriate colour --dark brown usually. If asking about ratlines, in my first models I simply cannibalized those from a previous collection of doll house miniature ships  :-[
Right now, while awaiting delivery of some photo-etched ratlines from China, I'm experimenting a trick that a gaming mate explained to me. Allow me this weekend to take some pictures to help me explain what does it consist of.

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 07:40:30 PM »
Thanks looking forward to the information, busy getting the ships cleaned, assembled, based, and primed.

Looking materials like Liquitex Professional Gloss Gel to create the water effects.

Lluis of Minairons

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 07:10:17 PM »
Hi again,

At the time of finishing up a ship, I generally use a dark brown sewing thread to stand for rigging. I use to start cutting a long segment of thread (up to twice as long as ship's own length, or even longer) and knotting it to the bowsprit. After securing that first point with a small drop of superglue, I then extend the thread progressively to the rest of masts step by step, rolling it around each mast and gluing the thread to it. And so on until I'm satisfied with the overall look.

I use to place longitudinal shrouds linking from mast to mast on every ship, not always doing the same with the backstays linking a mast to the next one from bottom to top --this latter depending on how satisfied I've got with the first step.

As for ratlines, a gaming mate told me a few days ago he also used sewing thread for them, after having previously hardened it by coating it with white glue, from end to end.
This made me recall I still stored in my spares box a few spools of naval modeling, wax coated thread. That's what I use instead for ratlines.

Generally I cut a long segment of thread (up to 1 m long, or so) and hang it from a high place, stretching it with a weight at its lower end.

Then I coat it with white glue all long and let it dry, to obtain a long, reasonably straight segment.
True that this thread being wax coated, I might just apply a little heat at the bendings to achieve the same result --but I feel it safer for my home not to toy with heat  ::)

Now it comes the funniest part, when one has to test hard one's patience  ;)
It's just a matter of cutting thread segments to the appropriate length and putting them in place --using again the ubiquitous white glue.

(apologies for my poor skills at taking pictures with a mobile in one hand while holding tweezers with the other  ;D )

Mike Tanner

• Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 08:15:40 PM »
Although I am not into ships or naval warfare I read your post from beginning to end with keen interest. Good stuff, nicely painted ships, and thank you very much for the detailed advice.

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 08:39:12 PM »
Yes the ships do look good with some cordage, yes I can see it going to be a real fiddle getting the ratlines to look good.

Are you still intending to use the photo etch brass?

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 09:23:01 PM »
All very nice, Lluis - your ships are getting even better with each iteration!

Many thanks for taking the trouble to explain your steps - all very useful.

Lluis of Minairons

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 09:40:09 PM »
Are you still intending to use the photo etch brass?

Yes I've got up to three ships finished and just awaiting those photo-etchings --the Skytrex race-built galleon and the Peter Pig fluyt you can see in the pictures above, besides of a frigate from Peter Pig too. As soon as I'm delivered them I shall post pictures on how they look once applied to the mentioned ships.

Mail shipments from China can take a looooooong long time though, so I suspect that my pipeline of finished ships awaiting some ratlines will grow larger soon, with a Peter Pig sloop I'm about to start, a gun boat I've just built from scratch, a Peter Pig schooner I'd like to convert into a three-masted, lateen-sailed sagetia (quite similar at a first look to a xebec, but not so slender, torpedo-like looking), and last a Minairons Treasury galleon a friend has commissioned to me.

Smiley Miley 66

• Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 05:04:29 PM »
So where do we get these photo eched brass rigging from please ?
Colours for the boats/ships ? Where is the best place to get colour ideas from please ?
I ve read that the inside walls of ships are generally in Red ?
What colour would you do most timber decks please ? 
Masts what colour generally please ?

Lluis of Minairons

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 06:00:12 PM »
The photo-etched ratlines I've used are 1/700 actually, made by a Japanese brand named Ocean Spirit.
Their website is temporarily closed, but you should be able to find them on eBay, AliBaba or even Amazon.

As for a colour schema for ships, I shared in the 'Eye Candy' subforum my attempts to find one such while making a collection for my own:
http://rulesforcommonman.uk/smf/index.php?topic=1074.0
http://rulesforcommonman.uk/smf/index.php?topic=1083.0
http://rulesforcommonman.uk/smf/index.php?topic=1113.0
http://rulesforcommonman.uk/smf/index.php?topic=1180.0
Despite written in an admittedly primary English, I guess it can give you an answer on some of your painting doubts --hull, decks, masts, sails and so.
As a matter of fact, you can try among several options, until finding out one that satisfies you the most.

I've been essaying some of such different options while painting together two commissioned fleets --also, on 'Eye Candy' subforum:
http://rulesforcommonman.uk/smf/index.php?topic=1218.0

Did I help you?

Lluís
www.minairons.eu

Duncan

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 06:55:41 AM »
Can I ask how your galleons look compared to and alongside Martin's ships as I see they a different scale? I know ships were not all one size so how do they square up please. Can we haveca side by side shot?
Thanks.

Smiley Miley 66

• Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 02:48:39 PM »
I was wondering the same as Duncan ! How your ship compare with PP ships ?
Hopefully those other sites will help.
If anyone has any other information on colours or book names and websites ?

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2018, 02:51:48 PM »
A greta book for colours ad other detail is the TIME LIFE pirates book. Available second hand for about a tenner.

Lluis of Minairons

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2018, 03:07:27 PM »
Minairons galleon has been modeled at 1:600th scale on the plans of one of the largest ships ever of its class (a Spanish Eastern Indiaman displacing over 2,000 tons). With a length of around 60 m, then the model measures some 10 cm long. So it is only 0.5 cm shorter than Peter Pig's large full rigged ship, or so.

I am aware that Peter Pig's naval range is nominally scaled to 1:450th, but after having assembled and painted several samples of every PP and Minairons ships in their respective ranges, my humble opinion is that most of Peter Pig models (especially the larger ones) are fully compatible to 1:600th scale products. To my particular tastes, only their sloop might look slightly oversized if placed amidst a 1:600 layout.

A personal opinion, though. I think that the abundant pictures I posted in my threads 'do speak by themselves', as a common saying here says.

Lluis of Minairons

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2018, 03:14:23 PM »
Anyway, here it goes a sample picture, taken from a previous thread:

A Minairons large galleon side by side to a PP fluyt, a schooner and a frigate.

Minairons galleon doesn't look particularly large there --although it is admittedly taller. This is due to foremast and mainmast having three sails. If cutting off the upper sail from both masts and shortening them accordingly, then it stands more or less as tall as PP's large full rigged ship.

Just as in this picture, showing another two large galleons along with three fluyts from PP:

Hope this helps!