Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Professionally made scenery for Salute 2018 games.  (Read 165 times)

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Professionally made scenery for Salute 2018 games.
« on: April 16, 2018, 07:41:17 PM »
Whats the feelings and or thoughts on professionally made tables of sculpted scenery for games other than manufacturers displays at salute.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Professionally made scenery for Salute 2018 games.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 09:44:24 PM »
That's quite a difficult one, Les.

On one hand, I like to see games look as good as they can. And professionally-painted figures (probably a whole separate debate!) and terrain can usually enhance the look.

However, particularly if the game is entered in a competition, this could all be deemed as cheating, if the game hosts did not paint everything themselves. But then most people don't sculpt their own figures or buildings either, so it's probably something of a grey area.

I also like to see what "Joe Average" can - with a bit of inspiration and dedication - produce, as something for me to aim to replicate.

I guess it's a bit like the debate about "museum-quality", pro-painted figures in the glossy magazines, vs. what the average wargamer can hope to achieve.

Maybe ultimately, as long as no competition rules are being broken and people are honest (I often ask exhibitors how they made certain items, and would be saddened if they didn't have an answer), maybe it doesn't really matter too much?

Duncan

• Supporter 2018
  • Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 06:58:00 PM »
What qualifies? Some club made stuff is pretty spectacular nowadays and some model railway grade scenery is easily available and easy to assemble. Not really professional in that it is put together locally by club members but is obviously made by a company, then again so is everything.

Smiley Miley 66

• Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 04:58:31 AM »
What Qualifies as professionally made ? I know when asked and given time most of the scenery I make can equal a lot of people's scenery. But then most people can paint figures better than me. As scenery for me is relatively an easy task, but figures I have to put a lot more thought and care into.
 I think it's finding out who has the best abilities at making and painting certain things in a club or group situation. As Les and Dave pointed out to me quite a few years ago, when you do Scenery, figure bases and vehicle Mud splatters! Use the same basic colours then any scenery you do Matches !!!

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 06:26:09 PM »
Professional scenery is made by commercial companies who build scenery for payment.

Not club and individual builders who are not paid and do not construct for a living.