Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Professionally made scenery for Salute 2018 games.  (Read 532 times)

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Professionally made scenery for Salute 2018 games.
« on: April 16, 2018, 07:41:17 PM »
Whats the feelings and or thoughts on professionally made tables of sculpted scenery for games other than manufacturers displays at salute.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Professionally made scenery for Salute 2018 games.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 09:44:24 PM »
That's quite a difficult one, Les.

On one hand, I like to see games look as good as they can. And professionally-painted figures (probably a whole separate debate!) and terrain can usually enhance the look.

However, particularly if the game is entered in a competition, this could all be deemed as cheating, if the game hosts did not paint everything themselves. But then most people don't sculpt their own figures or buildings either, so it's probably something of a grey area.

I also like to see what "Joe Average" can - with a bit of inspiration and dedication - produce, as something for me to aim to replicate.

I guess it's a bit like the debate about "museum-quality", pro-painted figures in the glossy magazines, vs. what the average wargamer can hope to achieve.

Maybe ultimately, as long as no competition rules are being broken and people are honest (I often ask exhibitors how they made certain items, and would be saddened if they didn't have an answer), maybe it doesn't really matter too much?

Duncan

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 06:58:00 PM »
What qualifies? Some club made stuff is pretty spectacular nowadays and some model railway grade scenery is easily available and easy to assemble. Not really professional in that it is put together locally by club members but is obviously made by a company, then again so is everything.

Smiley Miley 66

• Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 04:58:31 AM »
What Qualifies as professionally made ? I know when asked and given time most of the scenery I make can equal a lot of people's scenery. But then most people can paint figures better than me. As scenery for me is relatively an easy task, but figures I have to put a lot more thought and care into.
 I think it's finding out who has the best abilities at making and painting certain things in a club or group situation. As Les and Dave pointed out to me quite a few years ago, when you do Scenery, figure bases and vehicle Mud splatters! Use the same basic colours then any scenery you do Matches !!!

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 06:26:09 PM »
Professional scenery is made by commercial companies who build scenery for payment.

Not club and individual builders who are not paid and do not construct for a living.

Duncan

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 10:20:25 PM »
There are companies that do that? I am surprised that they can make a go of it, I would not have thought there was that much call for it and surely the whole thing of a club putting on a game is for them to showcase the skills of their members in putting on the game of which making the scenery is part of that. If they get an outside company to make that game board then it is not really the club that is putting on the game, they are simply participating in it.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 11:02:50 PM »
Just for the sake of discussion. i think it is fine to have and use scenery made by others. I have bought hills, woods, walls, rivers etc all made by "professional" companies. I believe it would be fine for a gamer to get a prize for a game using figures and scenery painted/built by others.  After all, it is the gamer who has "pulled" the whole thing together, by choosing the source for his figures and scenery.  The same would not count if a chap had figures painted by anther and entered them into painting competition. A game should be judged on how well it plays, whether or not the scenery is outstanding or merely adequate? On a personal basis, i prefer game play to game look. The two are however, not mutually excluding.

Duncan

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 08:27:01 PM »
I was of the impression that the topic referred to whole boards made as a one off just for that specific game at that time though, as opposed to the generic hill, wood, stream etc that people use every day and can be placed in a variety of ways on an otherwise flat board/table?

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 01:48:58 PM »
Duncan, yes - that's how I had interpreted Les's initial question.

I agree with Martin that if it's a "scenery components on a mat" type of approach, that's probably somewhat different to the sculpted boards that I think several of us had in mind.

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2018, 02:42:02 PM »
I was referring to the tables like the ACW artillery fort game (Glory! From the Halls of Montezuma) that was a complete set of professionally made scenery, TM Terrain.

Stunning and lovely as it looked.

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2018, 01:54:43 PM »
Im having difficulty understanding what the problem is here. If Ive paid good money to go into a show I want to see the best a club can put on in its display. Home made soldiers and scenery probably wont cut the mustard.

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2018, 04:30:12 PM »
Not a problem, just getting some views of other RCFM members.

Mike Tanner

• Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2018, 07:00:58 PM »
I've never been to a wargames show let alone something like Salute. Have the ignorant masses really fallen so low they can no longer differentiate between professionally made scenery and bog standard club/individual efforts?

:)

I like pretty. Why not have eye catching scenery for a big show?