Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Commemorations for Verdun  (Read 353 times)

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Commemorations for Verdun
« on: March 27, 2018, 01:47:12 PM »
My local club Les Guerriers du Marais are intending to put on at a couple of local events in September and October this year to commemorate the end of WW1 and the French involvement.
The game we are intending to use will be based around Verdun.
We have the WSS article for a scenario based on Verdun. We will be using SB.
Any other good sources of information other than the usual Ospreys?

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Commemorations for Verdun
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 05:55:21 PM »
Verdun was areal "meat grinder" for the French army of WW1. Most units in the French army rotated through Verdun's  hell hole.
It would be good to do a German assault, labelling it "day 231" or simmer, in order to emphasise the ongoing and constant fighting.

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 06:39:55 PM »
Yes the aspect that the French were so heavily involved  is were the clubs interest comes from.

Yes the title of "Day 231" would also be a good talking point for the game and the visitors as well.

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 08:27:29 PM »
I donít suppose most of the German troops involved much liked being at Verdun. Still canít really get my head round WWI. After all it was just the next in a long line of European wars in which one power tried to gain poll position in Europe - just the guns and everything else got bigger. For me the tragedy of WWI was the Treaty of Versailles and the events which then proceeded from that.