Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My painting ships learning process (1)  (Read 397 times)

Lluis of Minairons

• Piglet
    • View Profile
My painting ships learning process (1)
« on: March 12, 2018, 10:23:02 PM »
Hi all from a newbie to this forum.

My name is Lluís, I live in Catalonia and I'm the humble but proud owner of Minairons Miniatures --and a retailer of Peter Pig's fantastic products in the Iberian Peninsula.

My latest musings at this hobby are going around Age of Sail gaming. Honestly, I had ever before got interested in naval wargaming, so I did never had the chance to test my skills at painting a model ship. A few years ago I came onto a War of Spanish Succession campaign and started getting interested in an eventual naval front for it.

This was how I gave a try to a first model ship (a xebec from a Shapeways designer) and began the slow, persistent and patient process of learning how to paint naval models. Well, neither the model was any beauty, or I had any idea on how to paint it! I finished up the model by giving to it a set of 17th century Catalan flags from my own brand Minairons (and such saved my day!)

Some time later I learnt about Peter Pig's range 18 and tested again my skills on a galleon from them. Again, my inexperience at painting ships made me choose a colours palette that I would now judge as wrong (focused on giving a fresh timber appearance to masts and hull). Again, a set of WSS Spanish flags helped me to enhance the look to an otherwise poorly painted ship (IMHO):

Still unsatisfied with results, I then started painting a brig --this time, taking care to choose darker brown paints for hull. However, the new shade chosen didn't make me happy yet. Anyway, my WSS Spanish fleet had now grown up to two ships, so...

Another try to such colour schema was given using a Peter Pig frigate with few variations --if any at all. Again, I didn't feel fully satisfied with the result.

Anyway, I tried once again using a schooner. Work on this model allowed me to settle a significant portion of a future ultimate palette, that one affecting sails (a variable mixture of Vallejo 819 Iraqui Sand + 918 Ivory) and decks (based on 912 Tan Yellow mixed with a small amount of 819 Iraqui Sand). 'Well, that's a start', I thougth.

Otherwise, this new trial made me discard definitely the palette of browns used for hull and masts so far, and decide to seek a colour closer to that of weathered old timber (that in my mind was something mid way between a dark brown and dark grey). That proved to be a clever move, as you will see in a next thread.

Cheers,
Lluís

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: My painting ships learning process (1)
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 10:32:41 PM »
Lluis,

Welcome to the Forum - I can't believe this is your first post, having seen all the lovely stuff that Minairons produces to go with PP figures (and I must admit to having quite a few of your lovely SCW models...).

Those are mighty fine-looking ships! Very nice and tidy. Are they the Minairons flags you are using?

What paints (Vallejo? What colours?) have you settled on finally?

Sailing boats (not PP) are the only models I have ever given up on - I really like the clean look yours have...

Simon

Wardy64

• Supporter 2018
  • Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 09:00:44 AM »
Good to have you on board Luis. Superb job on the ships.

Wardy

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 03:20:04 PM »
Fantastic paint jobs

Lluis of Minairons

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 03:56:05 PM »
Thanks for your so encouraging comments, sirs!  :)

Are they the Minairons flags you are using?

Yes Simon, the ones flying on the xebec are from a Minairons set devoted to a 1640-1653 Catalan Merchantman/Privateer, while the rest belong to a set not delivered yet --for a 1701-1785 Spanish Man-of-War (That of being able to use stuff not yet in market is one of the few advantages of owning a miniatures company...  ::) )

What paints (Vallejo? What colours?) have you settled on finally?

At this early stage, I had been able to settle only the colours palette for sails  (Vallejo 819 Iraqui Sand + 918 Ivory) and upper decks (912 Tan Yellow + Iraqui Sand). With the model next to those shown here, more features were established too. Taking pictures of it!!

Lluis of Minairons

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 04:10:15 PM »
Some pictures else on the xebec from Shapeways and her set of flags:

Cheers,
Lluís

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 08:07:53 AM »
Thanks Lluis, that's very helpful information about the paint colours.

Now, if you (too) can gently get to work on Martin to turn his attention to a new version of his Pirate rules (i.e. after Ancients, which appear to be next up), then you may be able to sell loads more of your very nice flags!

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 01:35:56 PM »
Welcome to Lluis too!

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 02:42:51 PM »
In fact, Lluis is our 200th member, which is also something of a landmark.

So, congratulations to us all (but particularly to Lluis) :)

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 07:11:53 PM »
Welcome to the site Lluis.

Interesting to know the paint colours you are using.