Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How do HMG armed tanks work against infantry ?  (Read 323 times)

brianw

• Piglet
    • View Profile
How do HMG armed tanks work against infantry ?
« on: March 11, 2018, 12:58:20 PM »
Could someone please clarify for me how tanks solely armed with an HMG fire on infantry ?

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: How do HMG armed tanks work against infantry ?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 03:11:26 PM »
page 74, 75 explains how to create the action points. You will just spend the AP on firing the MG as this is the only gun/ guns. You don't have a big gun as a lot of later tank do i.e. tigers with the 88mm.
Page 87 MMG shooting, it shows a foot MMG but you treat the vehicles the same.
Page 88 the rules for the machine guns mounted on tanks.
Page 89 the ranges.
Page 90 for the priorities.
page 91 for any restrictions.
Page 92 for clustering effects.

Page 104 in the rules gives you the shooting effects.

Peterloo

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 10:10:54 AM »
Hmg armed tanks are deadly if the infantry lack AT weapons. recently fought a battle my infantry company + 4 ATguns verse about 20 Pz1s , once he  killed my ATguns he just chewed up my foot.
jumping his tanks became very Phyric

brianw

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 05:48:16 PM »
Thanks for those references. Please could you answer a specific question

Page 122 limits a tank MMG to two shots per turn and denies the bonus dice. So it is like a somewhat crippled infantry LMG, which is perfectly reasonable in terms of the real world. Does an HMG armed tank fire against infantry identically to an MMG armed one, or is it different ?  Does it give up the bonus dice, the reroll or both ?
What am I missing ?

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 07:34:28 PM »
Yes when I use my early war MG armed tanks I use 2D6 for each action point used. No bonus dice. But extra dice if the target infantry is clustered.
For most tanks the company architect book gives the information for specific tanks and whether they have MMG or HMG. Then you would use the HMG row, against infantry 3 paid for 1AP shots, with 2D6 for each action point used. +3D6 bonus dice once per turn. But extra dice if the target infantry is clustered.

Hope this helps!

brianw

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 11:50:26 PM »
Thanks for that

Smiley Miley 66

• Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 09:02:49 AM »
To be honest though if you know there are HMG about static or mobile then most players won't risk clustering a square.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 11:03:12 AM »
Thought I would just "dip in" here.

There are always going to be players who "just want to win at all costs". These players don't seem to care about the gaming experience as it relates to history .  Instead , they will find some perceived loophole to get them the all important win. Examples might be the "20 Pz " when only a maximum of 8  are be allowed by the rules. Another example is using a wave of MG armed trucks to lead an attack.  These players seem to care little for having an historical game but rather getting the win at all costs.

I will not play against such people, as they destroy any sense of "social gaming". This is obviously my problem, not theirs. Being my problem means that i will not be able to take part in PBI events if they are also playing.  I would instead use that time to play games against opponents who wanted a good game in terms of  social enjoyment and tactical "on table" skill. So i will probably not be at any PBI events, which does seem ironic , me being one of the rule creators. 

Having said that, I hope the participating players still have a great day out at Arnhem or PBI days.

DorchesterBede

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 09:09:01 AM »
To be honest Martin in the PBI gaming days I have participated in (rather the competitions) the vast majority of players are social players, there for a good game and a bit of fun, always sociable and not over competitive, in fact my opponents have on occasion advised me against one of my many self destructive moves. If I come across a win at all cost players then it is a case of let them win quickly and get on to the next more enjoyable game.

So I guess avoid the competition days and attend the gaming days, no prizes just a couple of fun games.  Now must get on and paint those scythed Shermans  to get a move on painting the 36 bases of flamethrowers for my flamethrower company.......