Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: RFCM rule systems. How it starts  (Read 548 times)

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
RFCM rule systems. How it starts
« on: February 23, 2018, 09:46:49 AM »
Play testing is crucial to RFCM rules.
The way it usually(?) works is as follows.

I will post some short articles referring to specific rulesets. First though, is an overview of how the process works here at RFCM.

1. martin decides what the game is going to achieve and what the constraints will be. Constraints covers such things as "what amount of troops/equipment would occupy this play area?", "what level of command is the player going to take?", "What are the historical constraints on action, resources and ability?", "what needs to be emphasised and what should be melded into the background rules?"
PP produces a range of figures and markers to accompany the rule set.

2. martin draws up a set of mechanisms and scenario generator ideas. Puts them in a document and that is version 2. Version 1 will have already ben superseded after a family read through!
3. The play-test group is formed.
4. The play-testers hi-light shortcomings and martin re-writes/changes the rules. This happens about 70 times.
5.Tim then prints the rules.
6. the rules get sold in print form.
7. The pdf version comes out after another 6 months or so.
8. New edition comes out after about 9 years of the first edition.

I will do a few messages here and there to tell members about what particular rules looked like at the start of play testing.

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: RFCM rule systems. How it starts
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 07:29:41 PM »
Strange place to start this topic!!!!!

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 10:05:57 PM »
Good point, Les (I was thinking initially that this was a subtle indication that yet another version of Hammerin' Iron was on its way). I have used the magic Admin powers to move this thread - hope this helps.

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 08:20:22 PM »
Good move, like you Simon I was thinking the Hammerin Iron was coming up for a rewrite, and so soon.

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 10:45:43 AM »
I thought Hammerin Iron was in a good state ??? As it was only a few years ago we re-wrote the rules ? A Very playable game ! Surely there are other rules that need more attention to them first ? AK 47 does need a good looking at ? Non of us can ever get our heads around the assault ??? Maybe make it more like a modern version of PBI ? Turn this game into a Sq driven game.
CWB needs a quick re-vamp to bring the rules in line with some of the more up to date play systems ! But PLEASE keep it away from them SQUARES ! As it's general play is very good( the difficulties in manovering are great (but Sq would cut that element out)) and has stood up to the test of time, and a better system than F n F any day !!!
Miles