Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A Bridge Too Far  (Read 3228 times)

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: A Bridge Too Far
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2018, 10:42:35 PM »
I went to a "Music in the Air" show there some years back (I believe these no longer take place?).

The rain grounded some of the aircraft (notably a Spitfire and a Mustang, as there was no visible horizon), but I have fond memories of a WW1 dogfight with reproduction planes; a French guy flying a microlight followed by a flock of geese, and the finale with a host of helicopters rolling in over the hills to the sound of the Ride of the Valkyries - stirring stuff!

Smiley Miley 66

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2018, 10:13:37 AM »
Here is a rough map of Hells Highway. On 4 x 2 (4x4) table's with a split in the middle. I 've tried to include most of the areas features.

Smiley Miley 66

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2018, 11:57:19 AM »
Les I did say at the beginning when I mentioned what we can use. British Paras, US Paras and German Paras ! Last I heard these are all infantry units with speacilists support ! Then of course the Guards division and some elements of the 11 th Armoured division which does include infantry. When it comes to the Guards by now they were using a one unit of tanks to one unit of infantry, Irish working with Irish, Welsh with the Welsh so on and so on. Then the Germans had a lot of infantry and on the left hand side of the route there was the remnants of an infantry division.
 So yes as Les and I recall myself saying PBI is an infantry game with supporting elements which does heavily include vehicles and AFV's . I also think we may even be able to include some (off table) artillery ON Table ???
To be honest without the infantry this game would fall flat on its face very very
Miles

Smiley Miley 66

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2018, 08:43:48 AM »
The Celts are on there way. First of the Irish and some more Welsh Guards done.
Miles

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2018, 11:39:11 AM »
You have been busy, Miles.

Rather nice hill they're sitting on, too!

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2018, 01:12:59 PM »
Hello Miles

with my bad eyesight i thought the upper picture was a tortoise!!

anyway, nice stiff Miles

madaxeman

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2018, 11:16:03 PM »
Well I was thinking about using the split table system 2 table's wide. The 3-4 table's for Hells Highway ! So that would be 6-8 table's in all. 2  table's for Nijmegen and 2 for Arnehem ( Oosterbeek) pocket ?So that would be 4 table's each maybe 6 if we are going to include part of the Bridge at Nijmegen ?
Miles

One of the tricks I have found with many of these multiplayer thingies is to make sure each individual game is still a legitimate battle in it's own right, and have the "campaign" element of things happen based on the conclusions of each of the individual games.

If there's a way of making it work through a series of games which are basic battles on standard tables that also has the advantage of making it easy for all concerned to get up to speed with whats going on, and it keeps things moving too - a whole series of standard sized games can essentially run on a timetable like a competition, meaning that you don't get some games running out of sync with the rest and slowing things down because they are "bigger".

Smiley Miley 66

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2018, 05:44:37 PM »
Point taken, but when we done th Ardennes game, you can run several table's together along side each other, as the game is capable of going large. With that type of game as much it's a series of separate games you do need to know what it's going around you. As well as using the other table's around you too

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2018, 07:34:29 PM »
Yes, agreed Miles: it was actually surprising (at least to me) how well the Ardennes game worked. It somehow managing to combine "individual" (-ish - it was possible to stray off one's nominal "table") games with the bigger campaign game all pretty seamlessly on the one mega-table!

colin31dip

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2018, 09:23:06 AM »
Finally sorted my login and read the thread.  I have Germans and British Paras to supply.  Can help with scenery if needed.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2018, 10:03:51 AM »
And I see that Antony Beevor is due to release his book on "Arnhem: The Battle for the Bridges, 1944" on 17th May.

It's 17.50 in hardback, so I'll probably wait for the paperback to come out, but got a good review in the Sunday Times yesterday. It sounds as though he doesn't pull any punches in his critique of the British commanders...

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2018, 04:17:40 PM »
It's 17.50 in hardback

Already reduced to 12 on Amazon.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2018, 04:19:42 PM »
@Miles,

Are you considering doing as Big Mike did for the Ardennes Day and order up some matching gridded cloths?

I'm assuming we could get a pretty good deal from a supplier (tinywargames seem to do a good product and club deals) for such a number, and I'd be up for one :)

Smiley Miley 66

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2018, 04:46:26 AM »
Not sure, because Ardennes was more a speacilist period ie Snow. And Arnhem is more summer ish Europe. But not gone into a table issue, as i wanted to get the summer over before we get into everything. As people have been away, some not so well etc. Also a few events coming up, so e time to speak to people face to face and solve some issues etc.
Fisitcuffs (today) Square Bashing, Western, PBI and some shows.
I was hoping by PBI day we will have something of a time scale, venue and game ideas done, or a least the basic issues sorted.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2018, 10:41:59 AM »
Thanks Miles, and understood.

However we achieve it, it would be nice to have something looking as consistent and "tied in" as the Ardennes Day tabletop, which really did enhance the whole gaming experience.

It may also save hassle in cat-herding cats to get playing mats if you have a bunch of willing buyers lined up to take some nice new shiny ones off your hands :)

Thank you for all your efforts in taking on the organisation of this event!

Simon