Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A Bridge Too Far  (Read 9018 times)

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: A Bridge Too Far
« Reply #180 on: September 22, 2019, 12:53:47 PM »
Here are the shots I took of Dave's wonderful Arnhem Bridge table:

And finally, with the tram!

Wardy64

• Star Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 22, 2019, 02:53:43 PM »
Guys,  great day yesterday you were really 'good company'. People genuinely enjoyed themselves with some great models on show.

Martin thanks for organising and taking on the TRAM, but only one winner. Look forward to the next one.

A really fab day.

Dave and Ben

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 22, 2019, 05:09:44 PM »
Miles organised Colin, Big Mike and yours truly for the "Band of Brothers" Nuenen game.

15mm PBI on a 6' x 4' table, summarised (courtesy of Miles) here:

The scenario involved some Raw German Luftwaffe personnel (represented by Colin's Fallschirmjager) and a lone Stug III G holding the town of Nuenen being assaulted by Mike's US paras and some British armour. At the end of Turn 3, Miles' British Recon company started to arrive, at the same time as the Germans received back-up from a motorised Panzergrenadier unit (my freshly-painted infantry), with 3 Panthers in tow (plus - in theory at least - 2 Jagdpanthers that we forgot all about until we were packing up....) - the big cats naturally by Miles, as was all the tabletop terrain.

In the map above, the Germans came on from the top and right-hand edges, and the Allies from the bottom and left edges. As well as - rather to the Germans' surprise, our own baseline. The Germans' task was to keep a route clear through the town to allow reinforcements to be brought up to defend the Allied landings.

A view from the Allied side, early in the game:

Thinly-spread Luftwaffe troops in the town square:

Another view of the town square as support platoons of Panzergrenadiers start to arrive:

The cheeky British drive straight from the Germans' baseline and debuss directly into the church (one of our 4 objectives):

More troops get sucked into the town in a battle of attrition:

While yet more Allied armour tries to join in the fun:

A pilot's view of the Germans trying desperately (too many 1's...) to deploy their heavy weapons (what a great idea, in the middle of the buildings):

And the Allies close in:

But it didn't all go their way - as the Panzergrenadiers reinforced the town, they spotted the burning British wrecks left by the Stug early on in the engagement:

And the threat of an MMG platoon finally deploying chased the British transports down the road:

The final result was a minor points win for the Germans, which we considered an honourable and well-fought draw:

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 22, 2019, 05:57:46 PM »
Excellent looking games, thanks for the pictures, sorry I couldn’t attend.

martin goddard

• Star Supporter Admin
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 22, 2019, 06:22:19 PM »
Here is a picture report of the day

https://www.peterpig.co.uk/Arnhem%202019.html

Ivan Zaitzev

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 22, 2019, 07:07:27 PM »
Great pictures! Looks like it was a great day. Those tables look really impressive too.

Leslie BT

• Star Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 22, 2019, 07:59:42 PM »
Well done to everyone. Some great looking tables, brilliant models. Everyone has been busy building and painting.

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 23, 2019, 10:55:49 AM »
Thank you Simon for taking the pictures, as the Battle got heated, I just never had the time to take any.
The Germans got so pre occupied with the bridges, trying to keep them open;that the British Reccon troops managed to sneak round ( the other side of the town, undefended side ? Weakest spot ?)and take one of the Main Objectives. Which was quite true to what the British troops done, unfortunately as we know with “A Bridge Too Far” and up to a certain degree “Band of Brothers” the Hollywood effect glosses over the actual facts, moulds them into something we can watch.
 So it made an interesting battle. I think we will re run the scenario again in the next few months at Entoyment, with a few tweaks in the set up etc. But I do feel the US Paras being Veteran, doesn’t do them any favours ?
But overall, I think the result  reflected what we saw in B of B a draw, which in reality is a German Win;for that battle. So the Allies had to withdraw and come back in strength another day, and the Germans managed to Attack the Son bridge but not in the numbers or way they had intended to, as we know it was a disjointed attack, hopefully the 506 PIR Easy company and Reccon units of 15/19 Hussars affected this.
Miles