Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A Bridge Too Far  (Read 9050 times)

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: A Bridge Too Far
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2018, 10:42:21 AM »
Miles,

This all sounds very good.

Is it worth sounding out folk who are likely to attend to see what they will be bringing, and thus start working out what we need over and above what people already have painted?

For starters, I will do a standard 1944 Volksgrenadier company with 3 StuG IIIs and 3 Pak 40s (so, probably rather more than 400 points), as this is what I have at the moment waiting to be painted.

If you'd like more done (Allied and/or German armour), please let me know. I'm also happy to do some scenery. The more warning the better, before I get distracted with anything else (and I still have to complete my Cattlemen for the Western Day, and Japanese for your 1943 PBI day....).

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2018, 10:54:51 AM »
This is why I want to get started now, then things for next year can be factored in as the time goes by. Trust me if 3/4/5 of you do the same thing then we have a good start for both games ? I only quoted "400" as this being a basic requirement for a Normal game, most serious players always do "extras". Like you I have a 1943 army to get ready for September.
Miles

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2018, 11:29:53 AM »
Excellent - so who's next to commit to bringing some stuff along next year and help Miles work out what we'll still be missing?

Wardy64

• Star Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2018, 11:51:00 AM »
Ben and I are up for it. Let me know the sides as happy to go either allied or axis?

Wardy

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2018, 01:29:12 PM »
Morning Miles
I will put together an OOB for the beach assault as I have run a 6ft game a few times.
I have mats and scenery for two 6ft games with room for 12 players, 6 per side.

Stewart

Big Mike

• Wild Boar
  • "Bring up the PIAT!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2018, 07:20:47 PM »
I can supply 400 point armies for British Airborne, British Infantry, US Infantry, German Infantry, plus 3 Shermans, 4 Humber A/cs, 9 US/British Halftracks.

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2018, 06:38:57 PM »
Well there's a start. My list of British and German tanks could be rather large !

madaxeman

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2018, 01:50:59 PM »
I've played Arnhem as a multi-player pseudo-campaign using PBI before - I think I found the idea in a magazine somewhere, so I can't claim credit for it.

It was 4-5 boards set up in a row, with the road to Arnhem running down the middle of them.

Most of the boards had a river & small bridge running at right angles to the road, with the final board (or 2) being the outskirts of Arnhem itself with the main bridge too.

Each board had Germans vs Paras fight on it, with one player per side

The "clever" bit was the XXX Corps was a "non player character" - a load of Shermans would dice to move down the road automatically unless/until they came to a spot with German infantry in an adjacent square, in which case they would stop and engage them.

So, the US Paras & others had 3-4 battles fighting to keep the road clear and the Germans had to fight to block it.

On the last table the British Paras had to first fight to get a foothold into Arnhem, and then in the next game fight to hang on in there for a couple of games whilst the Germans brought up more reserves each time.

There were some rules for the reinforcements/starting stances of the forces in each successive game - as in, if the US paras beat the Germans on the road they started the next game defending etc.

The victory conditions were that XXX Corps got to Arnhem before the paras were wiped out (of course..)

It worked really well - we played it (in 10mm) a couple of times, but again we are talking many, many years ago.

There are some photos here https://www.madaxeman.com/10mm/arnhem.php

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2018, 03:30:47 PM »
That looked like a fun game, madaxeman! Thanks for your posting and link.

I'm intrigued by the choice of drinks on display too: did XXX Corps get the pint of beer while the Germans were all on orange juice? And did this choice of beverage affect the outcome at all?

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2018, 07:55:28 PM »
Well I was thinking about using the split table system 2 table's wide. The 3-4 table's for Hells Highway ! So that would be 6-8 table's in all. 2  table's for Nijmegen and 2 for Arnehem ( Oosterbeek) pocket ?So that would be 4 table's each maybe 6 if we are going to include part of the Bridge at Nijmegen ?
Miles

Leslie BT

• Star Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2018, 02:50:09 PM »
Some good background information.

Major and Mrs Holt's Battlefield Guide to Operation Market Garden

Pegasus Archive review: Major and Mrs Holt have long been setting the benchmark for superb battlefield guides, and this third edition, ambitiously covering the entire Operation Market Garden area, certainly adds to that reputation. Accompanied by a large map, it begins with a historical overview of the ill-fated campaign and is thereafter divided into five timed itineraries covering all of the principal sectors; beginning with the initial advance of XXX Corps, then the 101st Airborne Division at Eindhoven, the 82nd Airborne Division in the Groesbeek and Nijmegen areas, and finally the 1st Airborne Division and Polish Brigade around Arnhem. In all, no less than 325 places of interest are described, including museums, cemeteries and monuments, with a great many colour photographs scattered throughout, as well as directions and a concise but thorough and personal narrative accompanying each site. This book is a remarkable achievement, and it is difficult to imagine touring the battlefield in the company of anything else. Price 16.99. Copies may be purchased from Amazon or https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/Major-And-Mrs-Holts-Battlefield-Guide-To-Operation-Market-Garden-Paperback/p/4228

An interesting book.

Leslie BT

• Star Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2018, 03:01:15 PM »
Much as its great to get all the powerful toys, Market Garden and PBI was about the infantry.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2018, 09:47:35 PM »
Anthony Beevor is bringing out a book on this subject in May: "Arnhem: The Battle for the Bridges, 1944"

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arnhem-Battle-Bridges-Antony-Beevor/dp/0670918660/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1520804587&sr=1-1&keywords=arnhem&dpID=517gF96CSpL&preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

If it's as good as his other books, this one should be worth a read.

Leslie BT

• Star Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2018, 06:55:37 PM »
Looks like a good read and if it follows his usual through writing as in the battle of the bulge it should show up a lot of things going on on all sides around this historic battle.

Got wait until May though.

Big Mike

• Wild Boar
  • "Bring up the PIAT!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2018, 10:23:28 PM »
"If you like Gliders you"ll like this....." The Museum of Army Aviation at Middle  Wallop. I have driven past the turning off the good old A303 many times (that road always sounds like a military reference) and last week I had the chance to visit the place as Miles cancelled our PBI game that afternoon. Many of you will have been to the museum but if not it is well worth an hour or two if you are passing.Plenty of good exhibits and helicopters. Scouts, Sycamores etc, as well as a Huey. The operations in Suez, Malaya,Aden and Cyprus are all well explained as well as the pre bi-plane period when the observer chappies used kites and camels. Best of all was the hall dedicated to the Glider troops. A short lived (quite literally for many of them) arm of our WW2 forces. Originals and mock ups of a Horsa, Hadrian and Hamilcar. Inspiring stuff for A Bridge Too Far.